Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

Dan-O
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

First it was rumored to be announced last month, then April 23 and still nothing. What the heck is up with Canon these days? Meanwhile, over at Nikon, the D7100 (same price point) is selling like hotcakes. Surely Canon is aware of this. Maybe Canon doesn't care about the prosumer DSLR market anymore?

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:25 AM
cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

Some engineers wanted to make it a full frame camera, and now the entire design team is embroiled in an equivalence debate.

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:38 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

Dan-O wrote:
First it was rumored to be announced last month, then April 23 and still nothing. What the heck is up with Canon these days? Meanwhile, over at Nikon, the D7100 (same price point) is selling like hotcakes. Surely Canon is aware of this. Maybe Canon doesn't care about the prosumer DSLR market anymore?

You mean Canon doesn't follow through on rumors from a fantasy rumor site That's an outrage!

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:43 AM
ardvorak
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

Is the x0 line still considered prosumer? I suppose, perhaps. But when I hear prosumer I tend to think of the 7D before the 60D. Particularly when that line lost the fit and finish it used to carry.

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:45 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

Dan-O wrote:

Hopefully being held back until Sept for the 7D2 exmor-beating sensor (the one we all imagine is right around the bend even with zero evidence ) as per CR.

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:47 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

At the moment what would Canon change apart from the badge?

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:59 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

The 7D is the current rival for the D7100

The 60D is closer to the D5100

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:04 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

Dan-O wrote:

Well maybe you should stop listening to rumors and listen to Canon announcements instead. Then you can stop blaming Canon for not meeting rumored dates.

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:30 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

I heard it will be called the EOS 60D MKII so Canon doesn't run out of double digit numbers before 2017.

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:36 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

I've heard they might go for broke and launch the 69D instead; allowing them to target new market segments.

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

Dan-O wrote:

If you read the internetz you'll find that Canon doesn't care about crop factor cameras or full frame cameras or still cameras and that maybe they care about obscure uber-expensive Hollywood video cameras.

If you step back from the internetz, things become a little clearer, particularly the fact that patience is much more powerful than gear lust.

"prosumer" is one the ugliest words ever created. It means people who are pros at consuming. Any camera is a professional camera in the hands of a true professional. Snobs will try to draw lines about what is a "pro camera" and what is not, lines that typically run just beneath their camera. It's all noise.

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:48 AM
Joe Garner
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

Dan-O wrote:
...over at Nikon, the D7100 (same price point) is selling like hotcakes. Surely Canon is aware of this. Maybe Canon...

May be Canon is waiting for all bandwagon-jumping suckers to get one?

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:52 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

Since the 60D and 7D are both up for an update, I wouldn't be surprised if they merge and create a camera that competes with the 7100 directly. I don't think there's room for a $1800 7DmkII since the 6D sells for $1900 with rebate. If Canon produces a new 7D type camera with specs similar to the D7100 that sells for around $1300, there really wouldn't be room for a 60D. Something has to give.

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:03 PM
MintMar
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

Ben Horne wrote:
Since the 60D and 7D are both up for an update, I wouldn't be surprised if they merge and create a camera that competes with the 7100 directly. I don't think there's room for a $1800 7DmkII since the 6D sells for $1900 with rebate. If Canon produces a new 7D type camera with specs similar to the D7100 that sells for around $1300, there really wouldn't be room for a 60D. Something has to give.

Maybe xxD line will die off... With Rebels and 7D as a high-end to be the EF-S platforms, and everything else will be FF.

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:47 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

Ben Horne wrote:

Ben, you just gave me the chills. I really don't see Canon matching Nikon's pricing game...ouch if they do. It's not your landscape shooter that's pondering such a beast as the 7D2 rumors promise, it's wildlife and action folks; that shoot landscapes also, of which there are many...it's a big market segment/share. Not producing a high FPS body for the non 1D crowd, not likely IMHO...but I could be dead wrong also; more chills.. The 7D was a great step up from the 40/50D in many respects. Having a fast hybrid APS-C body that no one else has...why would you discontinue the success.

And as of late Canon seems to be staying with a three tiered design approach, 3 levels of APS-C, the same for FF. Was this just a test, the 7D a fluke, a tease for those that can't afford the speed of a 1D

I for one hope not and sincerely hope you are wrong, and that Canon keeps the xxD alive as well as it's hybrid 7Dx....I've still got the chills thinking about NO 7D2...we're all doomed

Jerry

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:06 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

Ben Horne wrote:
I don't think there's room for a $1800 7DmkII

I'm hoping Canon makes the 7D2 into a mini-1DX. There's room around the $3000 level for this. 10FPS, 20+MP, dual CF cards, 1DX battery, 5D3 equivalent AF. Perfect body for mid level pros not willing to spend $7K on a sports body or $10K+ on super teles. Doubt it will happen but Canon can always surprise me.

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:28 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

They are still trying to decide which font to use on the new badge and colour to use on the mode wheel.....

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:35 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

Depending on what the new 70D looks like... I may or may not sell my 7D and "downgrade" to the 70D. If it has a newer and improved sensor I will do it. I don't need the autofocus and speed of the 7D, but a boost in IQ is always welcome.

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:10 PM
Dan-O
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

My point is that the 60D (and especially the 7D) are significantly overdue for an update. My situation is that I am in the market now, and was holding off to see what Canon would come up with. While I can buy a Nikon D7100 today, I have no idea when Canon will announce the D60 replacement, let alone when it will be on the shelf. It is time for spring photography in my neck of the woods and I was really hoping to have a new D70 by now. I can't justify a 6D or 5DMkIII, but I would like better IQ than the current 18MP APS-C sensor (especially less noise up to ISO 400-800 and more dynamic range). My investment in Canon lenses isn't so great that I couldn't jump ship, but it would be inconvenient. Plus I love my 70-200 f/4 L IS USM. But as they say, one in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:55 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Where the Heck is the 70D???

Dan-O wrote:
My point is that the 60D (and especially the 7D) are significantly overdue for an update. My situation is that I am in the market now, and was holding off to see what Canon would come up with. While I can buy a Nikon D7100 today, I have no idea when Canon will announce the D60 replacement, let alone when it will be on the shelf. It is time for spring photography in my neck of the woods and I was really hoping to have a new D70 by now. I can't justify a 6D or 5DMkIII, but I would
...Show more

Probably it will get a tweaked 18MP CMOS similar to the new Rebels, but with more buttons, GPS, Wi-Fi and built-in FB uploader.

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:59 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password