Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

Jfarmer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

I currently have the Gitzo 2531 6x carbon fiber tripod which I am not that happy with. It is terrible about getting sand in its legs. My wife has a cheaper Benro and it is much more resistant. I would like to get something that is even more sand resistant. Suggestions?
Jon

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:10 AM
Lunchb0x8
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

I would not really know, but I would say, have a look in stores at what is available, check that the seams where parts move are not bigger than a grain of sand, there will be the biggest concern.

I would still go carbon fiber due to metals being too prone to rust and general damage by elements.

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:47 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

First rule of sand is that it will get into anything and everything. Sand grains vary in size so that even the smallest tolerances will allow a grain to enter.

I have an old Manfrotto aluminum tripod that is built like a tank and has handled the elements very well for the past 15-20 years. Although sand does get into the tubular legs, I can take them off and just shake the few sand grains out that manage to get in.

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:04 PM
Trey Neal
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

Gitzo has the new Ocean Traveler that looks like it fits the bill - http://www.gitzo.com/photo-tripods-ocean

Apr 25, 2013 at 09:08 PM
Jfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

Trey Neal wrote:
Gitzo has the new Ocean Traveler that looks like it fits the bill - http://www.gitzo.com/photo-tripods-ocean

Thanks Trey. Very helpful
Jon

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password