Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

Jfarmer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

I currently have the Gitzo 2531 6x carbon fiber tripod which I am not that happy with. It is terrible about getting sand in its legs. My wife has a cheaper Benro and it is much more resistant. I would like to get something that is even more sand resistant. Suggestions?
Jon

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:09 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

In reality the most sand resistant tripod would be a berlebach. It would be neither light nor compact but definitely sand resistant.

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:20 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

The wood legs for my old 8" F8 Newtonian reflector are pretty grit/sand proof since they don't collapse and are bolted together. A survey tripod is pretty grit resistant albeit I wouldn't want to carry either one more than a few feet...

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:38 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

None.

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:46 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

find a pod with 1 leg section

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

peter_n
• • •
p.1 #6 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

The Benro twist locks are designed to be dust resistant via a movable rubber shield that clears dust from the surface of the leg when you turn the lock. It may work for sand as well although they do not mention sand on their web site. My Benro travel tripod has been fine on beaches and in the sea - no problems so far and I'm well into my third year of use with the tripod.

You might want to take a look at the Gitzo Ocean & Safari series of tripods that are reputed to have protective locks.

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:13 PM
H. Hoolee
• • •
p.1 #7 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

You may want to think about this. Extend the last thinnest) leg section, measure its outer diameter. Then go to your local hardware store and purchase schedule 40 white PVC sprinkler pipe that can accommodate the tripod leg section; this pipe comes in various diameters. Also purchase the appropriate glue and slip-on end caps to fit the pipe. Cut the PVC pipe to whatever length is needed, and glue on the end caps. You can temporarily tape the plastic leg pipe sections to each leg, using gaffers tape. If you want the leg covers to be less obtrusive, they can be spray-painted. This idea is more practical if you are no doing a lot of leg adjusting. You should be able to set your tripod in dry or wet sand with a no sand or water infiltration. Although I have not done this myself, I am thinking about it for use at the rivers, where I encounter mud, gravel, and other harmful materials.

Apr 24, 2013 at 07:42 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #8 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

How about dry pods? Kind of like condoms for you tripod.
https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=87

Apr 24, 2013 at 07:55 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #9 · Which tripod for sand resistance at the beach?

Wet Umbrella bags and a rubber band?

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:47 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password