Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Conundrum

surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Conundrum

At the present time I only have a couple of hours per week to shoot, and I have the following options:

1) Eagles - I have the new nest that appears occupied, but is high in a tree and not very visible. I would like to shoot the little ones when they are large enough to see from my poor vantage point. Clear shots will be difficult.

2) Belted kingfisher burrow - A friend found a BKF burrow, but we can't get a time so she can show me. I know the general area, but haven't been there in years. I might not be able to find it, but sure would love to shoot activity around the burrow. And the one KF she saw was extremely skittish.

3) Downy Woodpecker - Another friend has a nest hole in his front yard. It's easy to get to, ( a 10 sec "hike"), I have a clear shot, and they are active and seem to ignore me. It's sort of on the way to work - five min out of the way. All I have to do is leave a little early. One shot from this morning is below.

What would you do? I'll tell my current plans after a few responses.

Thanx,

Ron

surfnron 2012

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x lens    700mm    f/5.6    1/125s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Conundrum

Waiting

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:00 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Conundrum

I would love to learn, study and photograph the KF Ron. I understand they nest in a burrow. I have an area where there is some activity but like you time does not allow me to pursue it.

Now if I could go only 10secs to get shots like this one you posted that would be real hard to pass up!

I'm a little 'eagled' out to be honest with you

And by the way, at 700mm and 125th sec shutter that is an amazing 'macro' buddy!

Karl

Edited on Apr 24, 2013 at 01:18 AM · View previous versions

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:03 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Conundrum

That is one gorgeous shot ! I would take a mental health day off from work I would then try and find the Kingfisher . If that is not successful then you know where you can get some gorgeous woodpecker shots

Birdie

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:15 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Conundrum

Wonderful photo Ron! With opportunities like this Id spend most of my time there. Try and find out when the eagles will mature to sizes you will see them and when early flight will be. Make trips to see these special events.

Morris

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:24 AM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Conundrum

I would pick the KF.

Wacky roger

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:28 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Conundrum

First things first. You are putting way too much of a priority on things other than photography!!! However, given your current lifestyle choice, the easy thing to do is walk out the door, take a few downy pics (btw, the one included here looks a bit grubby ), head back to the car and drive to the KF hole, and use all the landmarks (any pics she can share?) provided to track it down. No results in a reasonable time? Drive to the known location of the eagle nest and attempt to get something decent. When you get home, you say you got turned around and you're sorry for taking so long in finding your way back. Repeat as soon and as often as feasible.

Pretty good results for 1/125. I couldn't do that if I used a tripod. The larvae sure add to the image. Well done Ron.

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:44 AM
lowa2
• • •
p.1 #8 · Conundrum

Super shot Ron, I'd go for the KF since its not something you see every day.

Charles

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:20 AM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Conundrum

I'm with Karl. Eagled out. Find some more time, try for the kingfishers, but get the downeys anyhow!

Greg

P.S. I'm also with Karl on the techs on that shot. How did you manage to squeeze so much DOF into a 700 at 5.6? (And at 1/125?)

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:37 AM
canon.eos30d
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Conundrum

What a great shot, Ron. You got it so beautiful.
Can't wait to see the rest.

- Tam

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Conundrum

A fantastic shot here, Ron.
It almost sounds like the woodpecker shooting is so quickly accessed that it's a freebie.
I'd give a major effort to finding and shooting the kingfisher. Shucks, I didn't even know they nested in the ground .
Charlie

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:50 AM
LandPirate
• •
p.1 #12 · Conundrum

Go for the Kingfishers. It'll be a mini-adventure.

The woodpeckers are an "Ace-in-the-hole".

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:56 AM
thomas_1950
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Conundrum

Excellent Downy pic! I vote for the KF.

Apr 24, 2013 at 07:41 AM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #14 · Conundrum

Beautiful picture!

I say the kingfisher. The downy is common and your angle on the eaglets will be to low

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:35 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Conundrum

can't go wrong on those choices Ron .. i plan on shooting both eagles and KFs this summer.. a couple of good things about KFs is they'll have a favorite perch not far from the burrow that they like to sit on.. and you'll usually hear them coming long before you see them.

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:46 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Conundrum

I had the same problem you do. My decision was very simple: I retired and start doing what I like to do best>
BTW, that is a fine pic, Ron
Socrate

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:08 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Conundrum

That is a wonderful shot, Ron. Great work here.

JBR

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:21 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Conundrum

I would have any of them Ron. I don't see nearly enough BE's so if forced, I'd go with them
David

Apr 24, 2013 at 07:47 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Conundrum

Very nice shot, Ron.
I probably would go for the kingfisher and grab some Woodpecker on the way to work.
Chris

Apr 24, 2013 at 09:27 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Conundrum

Thanx to all for the comments.

I will continue to shoot the Downys before work - that's easy, and doesn't take away time from my weekly morning shoot. I have lots of eagle shots, and they live on the lake, and it takes longer for the BE chicks to mature than the BKF chicks, so my opportunity to find/shoot the KFs is shorter. My efforts will be on the KFs. If I can't find the burrow, I'll be done with them Friday. If I do find them, then I will play it by ear, but they will take precedence over the eagles. I still have several weeks for the young BEs - at least.

Thanx again ~ Ron

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password