Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Moon Vs No Moon- Namibia Night Sky

PeakPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Moon Vs No Moon- Namibia Night Sky

So I'm crazy swamped with school right now so I'm not shooting anything new but I've filled study breaks with rediting star shots from Namibia with the wonders of LR4.

Anyway thought this was an interesting comparison of what the moon can do to a shot. The first shot was taken before going to sleep, the other one was taken when I woke up and the moon had risen. I would love to hear which one you like more. They are both cool in their own right in my eye.

Shot with my old rebel T2i and Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5

Here's to hoping I don't fail my finals!

Andy

Canon EOS REBEL T2i    10-24mm lens    10mm    f/3.5    15s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS REBEL T2i    10-24mm lens    10mm    f/3.5    30s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM
n7vy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Moon Vs No Moon- Namibia Night Sky

Definitely the shot without the moon. Very nice.

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:45 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Moon Vs No Moon- Namibia Night Sky

No moon, hands down.

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:14 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Moon Vs No Moon- Namibia Night Sky

Hey Andy,

Yeah, it's amazing the difference that a moon can make to a shot, both good and bad sometimes. Overall, #1 would be my favorite, the star display outways the foreground light. But you might consider blending in the foreground from #2 into your #1 shot, but only at say 1/2 the brightness it is now...

Jim

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:14 AM
SteveF
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Moon Vs No Moon- Namibia Night Sky

What a sky - just love that first one.

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #6 · Moon Vs No Moon- Namibia Night Sky

Thanks everyone!

JimFox wrote:
Hey Andy,

Yeah, it's amazing the difference that a moon can make to a shot, both good and bad sometimes. Overall, #1 would be my favorite, the star display outways the foreground light. But you might consider blending in the foreground from #2 into your #1 shot, but only at say 1/2 the brightness it is now...

Jim

#1 is my favorite as well as I'm a sucker for a good milky way (Montana has me spoiled). I worked a little to blend the foreground last night but it's tricky. This is because I took the first shot before going to sleep, then packed up my stuff and went to sleep. The second shot was taken upon waking up outside my tent. So the perspectives don't quite line up. Plus my blending skills need work ha. But once finals are done I think I'll go in and see what I can do!

Andy

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:19 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Moon Vs No Moon- Namibia Night Sky

Andy,
Definitely no moon. very well shot

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:22 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #8 · Moon Vs No Moon- Namibia Night Sky

Sunny Sra wrote:
Andy,
Definitely no moon. very well shot

Thank you Sunny

Alright so here is a little work on blending the two. My blending skills aren't the best but I like it.

Cheers,

Andy

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:32 AM
Mashuto

p.1 #9 · Moon Vs No Moon- Namibia Night Sky

Andy, I really like the idea of a blended shot and I was actually going to suggest trying that. However, I think the issue right now is the balance of brightness levels. The foreground detail is great, and so is the milky way, but in the blended shot, the foreground I think is just too bright making this shot feel incredibly unnatural. I think a bit more tweaking you could really be on to something.

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:40 AM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Moon Vs No Moon- Namibia Night Sky

I really like your blended shot. However, I do agree with Mashuto with darkening the FG for a more natural look. Nice work.

JBR

Apr 26, 2013 at 03:20 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password