Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2013 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?
  
 
Malux
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


I picked up the sigma 35 1.4 last week at photoshop world. I wrote up some initial thoughts on it with some photos on my blog but I'm not posting just to get you over to my blog.

I have the canon 35 1.4L on the way (should be here on 5/6) and plan on doing a head-to-head with the Sigma. I'm planning on shooting both on a tripod and handheld in various situations to see how they perform.

The plan is to compare center sharpness, corner sharpness, AF performance (this one here will be more of my impressions than anything) and CA.

Is there anything else you'd lie to see when I compare the two lenses?



Edited on Apr 23, 2013 at 05:36 PM · View previous versions



Apr 23, 2013 at 05:05 PM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


how about a very expensive game of 'CONKERS'?

sorry



Apr 23, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Malux
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


lol, i'm getting the 35 from CPS, i'm sure they won't mind


Apr 23, 2013 at 05:36 PM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


Malux wrote:
lol, i'm getting the 35 from CPS, i'm sure they won't mind



I bet they'ed expect it but then they would have to send their best 35L conker thats been soaked in vinegar or baked in the oven



Apr 23, 2013 at 05:46 PM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


by the way , from the images ive seen from the A35 it looks like a great lens. probably the thing to test most would be its AF accuracy at different distances


Apr 23, 2013 at 05:47 PM
Papathanassiou
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


Ian.Dobinson wrote:
how about a very expensive game of 'CONKERS'?

sorry


That made me laugh!

Papa.



Apr 23, 2013 at 05:56 PM
kezeka
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


Compare the build of the two?


Apr 23, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Malux
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


Will definitely compare the build and will be doing some af accuracy tests as well. I'll have to think about how to formalize the af test.

I'll definitely MFA both lenses



Apr 23, 2013 at 06:16 PM
stan23
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


I was in a similar predicament. I had found a few used 35Ls on CL for the same price it would have cost for a new Sigma. Decided to try out the siggy, and so far - i'm VERY impressed. No focus issues--just works! Still would like to see the comparison though.

How about bokeh and head torso portrait photo comparisons? All wide open of course. I just want to see which lens has a better overall 'look' and which resolves more details.



Apr 23, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Malux
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


stan23 wrote:
I was in a similar predicament. I had found a few used 35Ls on CL for the same price it would have cost for a new Sigma. Decided to try out the siggy, and so far - i'm VERY impressed. No focus issues--just works! Still would like to see the comparison though.

How about bokeh and head torso portrait photo comparisons? All wide open of course. I just want to see which lens has a better overall 'look' and which resolves more details.


will do stan. You just volunteered one of my kids for model duty



Apr 23, 2013 at 06:52 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



onegreatcity
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


I will second 'bokeh' and build. Is there a good way to assess low light focus accuracy? Thanks...


Apr 23, 2013 at 07:12 PM
timbop
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


onegreatcity wrote:
I will second 'bokeh' and build. Is there a good way to assess low light focus accuracy? Thanks...


yes please!



Apr 23, 2013 at 08:09 PM
PhilDrinkwater
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


AF accuracy in low light and low-ish contrast would be very interesting. Think 10 shots on each at 1/80th, f1.8, iso3200 kind of amounts of light.

If its as accurate as the canon but sharper I might just get one and sell my L.



Apr 23, 2013 at 09:33 PM
kezeka
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


PhilDrinkwater wrote:
AF accuracy in low light and low-ish contrast would be very interesting. Think 10 shots on each at 1/80th, f1.8, iso3200 kind of amounts of light.

If its as accurate as the canon but sharper I might just get one and sell my L.


Why buy an f/1.4 lens to shoot at f/1.8 in garbage lighting? Shoot the lowlight stuff wide open!



Apr 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM
canon pants
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


Focus accuracy with outer points


Apr 23, 2013 at 11:17 PM
MadManAce
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


canon pants wrote:
Focus accuracy with outer points

+

Yes, do compare this. I bought 4 Sigmas and all went back because of inconsistent AF with outer AF sensors , troubles with AF adjustments only working at certain distances, and lighting. My 35L just came in today and so far (+2 AF Adj) it has been stellar at all scenarios I just mentioned. It costs more, but it looks like I will be keeping the Canon. I would rather have a star that performs in the clutch than a superstar that chokes when it really matters.



Apr 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM
cputeq
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


I hope it's not like the sample of the 35/1.4 I currently have out from CPS.

Let's just say, I'm not impressed at wide-open performance, at least at 5-9 feet shooting distance, even with careful LV MF.


Interestingly enough, your arrival time is very close to my due-in time at CPS - I should record the s/n and see if you get the same lens (my due back is 30 Apr, so given a day or two of check and ship, I could see your lens being the one I had).


The copy of the 50/1.2L I have is also soft closer up (I mean, I can make it work, but it's not razor sharp, again even with careful LV methods). Further away though (maybe from DOF or something else?) it's noticeably sharper. I'm really torn on this lens, not so much the 35L.






Apr 24, 2013 at 02:42 AM
scottam10
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


I'm interested in focus accuracy under different light sources

- I read a complaint that the Sigma focuses fine under daylight, but mis-focuses under artificial light (eg tungsten bulbs)

Apparently focus accuracy under different light sources is a potential problem for all lenses - Canon have built it into the AF algorithms of their own lenses but Sigma failed to reverse-engineer it properly



Apr 24, 2013 at 03:11 AM
markshelby
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


Put me down for a low-light focus accuracy comparison--something objective if possible.


May 01, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Sigma 35 1.4 vs Canon 1.4 what would you like to see?


cputeq wrote:
I hope it's not like the sample of the 35/1.4 I currently have out from CPS.

Let's just say, I'm not impressed at wide-open performance, at least at 5-9 feet shooting distance, even with careful LV MF.

Interestingly enough, your arrival time is very close to my due-in time at CPS - I should record the s/n and see if you get the same lens (my due back is 30 Apr, so given a day or two of check and ship, I could see your lens being the one I had).

The copy of the 50/1.2L I have is also soft closer
...Show more

It has the best wide open performance of any fast lens that I have owned. And I own all the Canon f/1,2 and f/1,4 lenses. And a few Zeiss f/1,4 lenses also.



May 01, 2013 at 05:00 PM





FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password