Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Transcend 1.5G external HDrive? Going on a trip. . .

Dennis M 1064
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Transcend 1.5G external HDrive? Going on a trip. . .

Hey,

Looking to buy a portable drive to download Video and stills from my cards. I'm going to dump them onto an external drive instead of onto the MacBook Pro hard drive. I looked at the LaCie this morning and almost pulled the trigger since Adorama had the micro 1 TB for $114. Then I started reading reviews and was less impressed with the idea.

I'm now looking at the Transcend 1.5TB drive ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/923033-REG/transcend_ts15tsj25h3p_storejet_rugged_1_5tb_usb3.html )

Anyone using them? What do you tink of them? I like the idea of one that is set up for a few bumps and travel. If you use them, how hard is it to get ahold of customer support via Phone? Are they just screen readers in Manilla or are you actually able to get good, understandable support?

Edited on Apr 23, 2013 at 01:17 PM · View previous versions

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:37 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Transcend 1.5G external HDrive? Going on a trip. . .

Will it copy directly from a caard? I get the feeeling it won't. Also, watch the difference between gigabyte and terrabyte. Huge difference.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Transcend 1.5G external HDrive? Going on a trip. . .

may want change the G to TB.

Other than the outer shell (only handy if you drop the hard drive)
you can get 2 of these for redundancy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate+-+Backup+Plus+1+TB+2.5%22+External+Hard+Drive+-+Retail+-+Black/5597395.p?id=1218669151322&skuId=5597395

they are very light weight and fast.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Transcend 1.5G external HDrive? Going on a trip. . .

CRAP! Thanks runamuck. I had been thinking about expanding my collection of cards for the camera, and got Gigabyte on the brain. Changed to Terabyte. Thanks.

Yup Sunny. We were using those for a video job I just finished working on out on the frozen lakes. I was only looking at the other for it's shock resistance, and at 1.5Tb, I think I would not consider the need to take two. Then you just had to bring up the redundancy thing. The color makes it easier to find in the bag as well, but that is less important. You are right though, they have been pretty dependable. Yup. . .redundancy.

Thanks for the input.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:24 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Transcend 1.5G external HDrive? Going on a trip. . .

I have Transcend 500GB and 1TB rugged drives. I lucked into the 1TB drive after loaning the 500GB to my wife for a trip. I figured she should have her own, and so I made an executive decision (while she was away) and got the 1TB. In my experience, using them with a Win 7 notebook, they're fast and reliable.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:45 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Transcend 1.5G external HDrive? Going on a trip. . .

Kewl. Thanks J!

I should not have discussed this with my wife. She thinks the Transcend is hands down, The-Way-To-Go!!

Why?

Simple... It's purple.

(heavy sigh...)

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:44 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Transcend 1.5G external HDrive? Going on a trip. . .

According to Dilbert's pointy-haired boss, the fastest RAM is purple. Maybe that's true for microdrives, too.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:15 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Transcend 1.5G external HDrive? Going on a trip. . .

I usually shop at NewEgg and sort by user review.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:27 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Transcend 1.5G external HDrive? Going on a trip. . .

Thanks Guy. That is actually how I got to the Transcend from the LaCie. LaCie did not fare very well. THe reviews on B&H for the Transcend were great 12 of 13. The price was better at B&H for the Transcend. The SeaGate gets good reviews, but it seems like a fair number just died, some within a couple days.

Mostly, I was looking for input with people I could actually communicate with. And more recent info. Some of the reviews go back years, and lots of things can change, for the vetter or the worse.

I have to get RAM for the new MacBook Pro as well. Sooooo much cheaper than having it added by Mac during the build. I'll look for purple!! For half the price of 16G from Mac fo my iMac, I got 32G and installed it myself. Super simple. $150 vs $300 and twice the RAM. Go figure.

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:55 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.