Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Some landscape forum ideas.

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some landscape forum ideas.

Many of us mortals get into the situation of many looks and no replies for our images. I never expect to match the best on this forum without a great deal of luck.

New photographers looking for help ought to go to the critique forum, but what about the seasoned photographers who already know what is expected and want to show their better work and are not really looking for critique, but simple presentation? But a large number of fair journeymen will never reach the status of high art, its just not in our genes. In fact for myself, much of what is considered high art is boring to me and many critiques offered are ones I have considered and rejected.

I propose some way for viewers to simply tick a like for the image. The number of likes will help them understand how well it was accepted. No need for dislike, the number of likes versus the number of views tells the story.
The best images still get featured status or a rating and probably plenty of comments as well. But we duffers at least have an incentive to show our stuff. Otherwise we are just whistling in the wind.

Not sure where to post this so I will start here even though it will probably not get much attentions by landscapers.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some landscape forum ideas.

It would be nice to have a rating system in the critique only section. but then again, you could just make a poll and it'll do the same thing.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some landscape forum ideas.

I like this idea, but I couldn't like the OP.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some landscape forum ideas.

BenV wrote:
It would be nice to have a rating system in the critique only section. but then again, you could just make a poll and it'll do the same thing.

As in like or dislike?

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:13 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some landscape forum ideas.

Timmeh wrote:
I like this idea, but I couldn't like the OP.

Yep, just adding like to the OP would get the job done. I think Fred already explained why he did not do that, but maybe I have offered new reasons.

One other idea would be for a duffers forum. A place for what I call 3rd and 4th level photographers, with the 5th level being the truly artistic. And don't ask me what artistic means because all I know is that I ain't an artist.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:18 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Some landscape forum ideas.

Not sure this helps with the Like or not, but if you post your image using the link (get a link) from your Smugmug account, a viewer of your image can use that link back to that photos gallery(s)... as a result, you can check the stats. and the amount of views to that image or others... If you like, you can allow comments....

You may already do this and are looking for a method in Freds' fourm... if so, never mind

Jefferson

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:02 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Some landscape forum ideas.

Jefferson wrote:
Not sure this helps with the Like or not, but if you post your image using the link (get a link) from your Smugmug account, a viewer of your image can use that link back to that photos gallery(s)... as a result, you can check the stats. and the amount of views to that image or others... If you like, you can allow comments....

You may already do this and are looking for a method in Freds' fourm... if so, never mind

Jefferson

Yep I embed directly. Not sure I could get an 850 wide from SM, I post them full size there and seldom use the really small versions, not sure they get downsized properly. But anyway, thats not much different than a a view count here.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:12 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Some landscape forum ideas.

Ben,
The option of having the "Like" button on first posts without images has been always a consideration and could be added in the near future.
Fred

Apr 23, 2013 at 06:15 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Some landscape forum ideas.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Ben,
The option of having the "Like" button on first posts without images has been always a consideration and could be added in the near future.
Fred

Hi Fred, thanks for considering it, It was just an idea. It might inspire some of us who don't feel up to the prime level on the landscape forum to post. That could be either a blessing or curse but that would be your call and I assume the moderators of course.

I see many images I like, but I don't feel qualified to comment other than a simply superlative. The best of course I vote as feature, but I need to do that carefully and not too soon in the cycle.

Apr 23, 2013 at 06:21 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Some landscape forum ideas.

Myself, I hope we don't have the "Like" option for a photo. A comment that someone likes a photo is 100 times more valuable, then seeing a "Like" counter go from 1 to 2... I would guess, and this is just my opinion, but if the "Like" option was added comments overall would decrease by 50%. We already have plenty of slow times here where there are very few comments being offered, I don't think creating an option for people to tell someone that they enjoyed their photo by just pressing a button is going to help that, and would obviously cause the # of comments to decrease.

People commenting, whether it's a simply "Great photo" or a more detailed response is one of the reasons that make FM so valuable and has drawn so many. If people want to just see a "Like" counter go up, then maybe they need to invest more time in Facebook?

Just a few thoughts...

Jim

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Some landscape forum ideas.

JimFox wrote:
Myself, I hope we don't have the "Like" option for a photo. A comment that someone likes a photo is 100 times more valuable, then seeing a "Like" counter go from 1 to 2... I would guess, and this is just my opinion, but if the "Like" option was added comments overall would decrease by 50%. We already have plenty of slow times here where there are very few comments being offered, I don't think creating an option for people to tell someone that they enjoyed their photo by just pressing a button is going to help that, and would
...Show more

I understand Jim, maybe not such a great idea. I look at every image posted at landscape. I like some dislike a few and really like a few. I reply infrequently however. Not a matter of being lazy so much as uncertainty. My tastes seem so out of step that I always think my comments are counterproductive. Even a simple "I like it".

For example, I recently liked 1 and 2 of a set but said nothing about 3 which was B&W. I just don't like B&W so I said nothing. Everyone else seemed to like the B&W best. In the future, I would not leave a comment at all for a mixed set.

Apr 24, 2013 at 09:12 AM
Etadam
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Some landscape forum ideas.

The "rate" presently shown on top of each thread could be easily reused for an image rating

(since it doesn't seem that feature is currently used much.. :-)

Apr 24, 2013 at 09:18 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Some landscape forum ideas.

Maybe this would work.

Look for posts on the front page but near the bottom with no replies, if I like the image I will say so. It has to be fairly good however. My idea of good is technically well done and an interesting scene and not abstract or B&W.

Posts with many replies don't need my feeble input.

Great images get a vote for feature.

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:03 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Some landscape forum ideas.

Well the above idea did not work too well. Guess I just need to be a lurker. I am geared for print and large sizes and not so good at small sized images.

Being a good reviewer requires knowledge, skills and good viewing systems that can show sRGB web images. I suspect it also requires better vision and color awareness than I have.

Apr 25, 2013 at 09:46 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.