Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Is a dropped canon 70-300 IS lens salvageable?

dan727
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is a dropped canon 70-300 IS lens salvageable?

This is a relatively inexpensive lens... But l lucked out with the one as it was super sharp to about 270mm or so. I've used it at airshows and sporting events with great results.

So I was devastated when it rolled out the back of my wife's car while at the beach. It fell about 3' onto the parking lot.

Now throughout the whole zoom range I cannot get any sharpness. Even with manual focus it looks good through the viewfinder... but always bad results.

Maybe it just needs an internal lens adjustment and was wondering if this type of repair is cost effective and if so..will I ever get the same sharpness?

On the plus side I have my wife 70% convinced to let me get a 100 - 400 lens.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Joe Garner
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is a dropped canon 70-300 IS lens salvageable?

Repair is almost never cost effective for inexpensive lenses. The best way to extract any value for it at this point is to ebay it, you'll get something in the range of $100-120 net.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is a dropped canon 70-300 IS lens salvageable?

unfortunatly repair will likely cost as much as decent used one .

100-400 . well yes if the wifi has given the getgo then dont hang back

if you still want a replacemt 70-300 then have a look at the used Tamron 70-300 VC . Very good and real good value . Handy to have in the bag when other stuff is a tad large. I know the 100-400 is not the biggest lens around but there were still many times i didnt want it slung over my shouldr in the bag on the 'Off chance' id need it

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM
capt3450
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is a dropped canon 70-300 IS lens salvageable?

Not worths for repair because cost vs new. Since your CFO had approved for a replacement I would suggest try a newer EF 70-300L instead of 100-400 L.
-capt3450

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:55 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is a dropped canon 70-300 IS lens salvageable?

dan727 wrote:
This is a relatively inexpensive lens... But l lucked out with the one as it was super sharp to about 270mm or so. I've used it at airshows and sporting events with great results.

So I was devastated when it rolled out the back of my wife's car while at the beach. It fell about 3' onto the parking lot.

Now throughout the whole zoom range I cannot get any sharpness. Even with manual focus it looks good through the viewfinder... but always bad results.

Maybe it just needs an internal lens adjustment and was wondering if this type of repair is
...Show more

Take it to a local camera shop. Its a quick fix for a decentered lens element if thats all thats wrong. I'd expect a $150 or less cost to do that. If its major, sell it on ebay for parts.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:59 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is a dropped canon 70-300 IS lens salvageable?

If you bought it with certain premium level credit cards they will repair/replace due to user error or failure. Depending on the card, up to 2 years from purchase.

Apr 23, 2013 at 06:27 PM
dan727
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is a dropped canon 70-300 IS lens salvageable?

capt3450 wrote:
Not worths for repair because cost vs new. Since your CFO had approved for a replacement I would suggest try a newer EF 70-300L instead of 100-400 L.
-capt3450

I may look at the 70-300L. I really like the 100-400 but I do use this 70-300 quite a bit and it is not a burden to carry around. Only problem with the 70-300L is there is probably not as many used lenses on the market. The CFO is on board... but I still have a budget.

I actually bought this lens used years ago from here so it is quite old. No CC insurance or anything, If repairs run ~$150 I don't know if that is worthwhile.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is a dropped canon 70-300 IS lens salvageable?

I seem to remember most repairs are a flat rate of about $200 plus parts. I had a 70-200 4L that was decentered--just from walking around--and Canon Hawaii volunteered to fix it free albeit 4 years out of warranty. I wore my good shirt and flirted with the counter girl for 5 or 6 minutes and, as I was walking out, she said FAX the receipt and the repair is free.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.