Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dave (male headshot)

Dave

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dave (male headshot)

It has that film-y tone to it, which seems to be very popular nowadays, but without going over the top full on Instagram-style (this is a compliment). I like the presence of the eyes in that they certain are engaging and central to the portrait. The skin tones are right and the glasses don't have any reflections, which is great. The shadow on the left ear is a tad dark but not a big issue. The hoodie looks a little out of place on a man of this age but that's okay.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dave (male headshot)

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know about the filmy tone but generally I find a little yellow in the highlights and cyan in the shadows makes the files from a D700 look better.

As for the hoodie - I had no control over his clothes.

Here's another:

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:13 PM
photosenior
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dave (male headshot)

The first one is quite strong!
The second one is not quite there. The glasses cutting into the eyes and the expression is just missing the mark...
Thanks for sharing!
Ben

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dave (male headshot)

#1. I find the eyes engaging, but one looks worlds different from the other. That stuck with me.
And a minor nit. The tiny bit of ear showing is best not seen. So move a bit to hide it show more of it.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dave (male headshot)

For me, this shot works and doesn't work at the same time. It feels like you got really up close and personal with a wide-angle lens, yes? It makes me as a viewer feel confronted and a little bit uncomfortable. If this is what you want for artistic reasons, you have succeeded.

If you are going for a more flattering, conventional headshot, then it doesn't work. A longer lens would help if this is what you were going for.

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:02 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dave (male headshot)

photosenior - thanks. I prefer the second myself so clearly tastes differ, which is as it should be.

Jim - thanks, you're right about the ear. Hard to catch at that second so if it was an important shot I'd probably clean it away in post. As for his eyes, you can see from the forehead lines that he raised one eyebrow so that eye is bigger. The shot was looking a bit staid through the viewfinder so I said "more intense" and got this. I'd rather have it look a bit odd

benee - thanks, it's a 50mm up close. I realise a 100 from further would be more conventional but conventional doesn't always have impact so I'm happy with this. I wouldn't use a 35 or 28 this close though - I'd have to park it up his nostrils! I do like the close feeling - that's why I crop the top of the head too, to make the viewer feel closer. Not sure it's a technique I'd use on a pretty girl much, although I have done ....

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:30 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.