Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

lighthawk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

PV Hiker wrote:
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-FAB-F&type=0&eq=&desc=B2-FAB-F-38mm-clamp-with-flat-back&key=it

Here is the RRS and using the Black Rapid strap. With the L bracket you can attach on the side or bottom. I have not decided what works best yet.

Good idea, Patrick. $60 is cha-ching expensive, but what are you going to do? I've thought about screwing the BR stud into the side of my RRS L bracket, but that's only part of the equation. No easy answer here. Sometimes I strip the L bracket to go lightweight, handheld style, then the BR mount will need to move to the camera body.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

Hi Lighthawk,

Yes anything from RRS is going to cost you but you really get what you pay for. We needed this to go with the Black Rapid strap (double strap) ….because….. we have always just screwed the end of the strap right into the threaded port on the bottom of the RRS L bracket. Guess what? The new RRS 2 piece L bracket for the 1DX does not have the ¼ inch threaded port on the L bracket. So that is where these clamps will work.

We can attach the clamp on either leg of the L bracket or on a lens foot. The camera can quickly be detached and be mounted on a tripod without unscrewing and re-screwing. That over time can wear out the aluminum threads on the L bracket. I think once we really start using them they will work out ok.
Patrick

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

now this is where I can see the use of this RRS piece (1DX) but, at this point, it is related to a singular design. the RRS design has incorporated multiuse options but still requires a AS plate for its ease of use. But again RRS shows that they think just a bit more then others. As to current designs with a 1/4-20 thread you would need to be fairly aggressive to wear it out. The other option would be to deliberately cross thread it. that, except for some, would also take some effort too.

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:51 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

Thanks for all the comments, sjms. I really like the simplicity of the C-loop, but I am drawn strongly to the flexibility of the Arca plate on a strap, since a lot of my shooting is with a telephoto, but carrying a small wide angle. With the Arca plate, I can let the telephoto dangle at my side while shooting with the wide angle, which would be less than optimal with the C-loop.

While some of my lens arca plates have the appropriate threaded socket, it's inevitably in the middle of the plate, which would cause the lens to hang oddly... and some of my plates don't have a socket either.

Apr 26, 2013 at 07:14 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

well if you feel that hanging a long lens (anything with a foot on it above a 70-200) around your neck is the way to go, so be it. for me it's not a real option.

plates w/o the threaded socket? all mine have them. sort of required for purchase.

trying to balance all that stuff. sounds like work.

but in the end it is "what works for you"

addendum: I was putzing around Tampa today and went to the Asia Fest/Dragon Boat races on the canal. threw on my 70-200/2.8 w/D7000 and screwed my strap on the foot and it balanced pretty perfect. really proved itself by staying in place and out of the way in the portable john too. and that was a with pack on.

Grace and Talent

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:35 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

sjms wrote:
trying to balance all that stuff. sounds like work.

For me, this setup is almost like legos - I don't have to keep up with a nub, I don't screw/unscrew, etc. It is so much faster and simpler. It is slightly rattly, but not to the point that it bugs me (and it isn't hard to bug me ).

binary visions wrote:
Thanks for all the comments, sjms. I really like the simplicity of the C-loop, but I am drawn strongly to the flexibility of the Arca plate on a strap, since a lot of my shooting is with a telephoto, but carrying a small wide angle. With the Arca plate, I can let the telephoto dangle at my side while shooting with the wide angle, which would be less than optimal with the C-loop.

While some of my lens arca plates have the appropriate threaded socket, it's inevitably in the middle of the plate, which would cause the lens to
...Show more

Strange for the plates not to have a socket. Anyway, since you're right down the road, let me know if you want to grab coffee - I'll trade ya a look at my rig for a look at the D7100.

Apr 28, 2013 at 08:28 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

I guess I just chalk mine up to using it this way all the time for the past year

Apr 28, 2013 at 09:28 AM
Lovesong
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

I use one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Utility-Strap/dp/B003T0EYVE
with a D700, grip, and anything up to a 70-200. It doesn't take up a tripod socket, it uses the strap lug (i.e. probably more weight-bearing part), and doesn't interfere with auxiliary bits (flash, flash bracket, tripod QR plate).

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:21 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.