Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

Dennis M 1064
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

Hey,

I have RRS gear on a 5D3. I don't want to remove my L-Bracket but want to have a good carry strap for my camera. Some kind of sling strap would be great. So far, it seems that if I want to be able to quick connect my camera to my tripod (which is why I have my L Bracket) the mounts for sling straps straps get in the way. Also, if it is a bit windy out, I would like to quick release my strap, to cut down on camera shake.

Has anyone found a good combination? If I'm not hiking that far, and the terrain isn't too rugged, or if I am shooting in the city, I leave the camera on the sticks, but it would be nice to get rid of the OEM neck strap and have a better means of carrying the camera around. I would really like a sling strap, so if I have missed something in my search, I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dennis

Apr 23, 2013 at 09:59 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

cs pro

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:20 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

Thanks Sunny. I looked at that one, but then I would have to mount a plate onto the bottom of my L-Bracket. How would that work for going on and off the tripod? Not getting it.

I have the CS LCD Viewfinder. It is functional, but not a great fit for the 5D3 and a battery grip. In fact, it doesn't fit at all without being creative. The build is. . .fair. Th MOGO monopod is pretty good. I would try their strap if I could figure out how to make it work with my L-Bracket and the ability to quickly go to TriPod.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:32 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

L bracket - CS Pro plate - base plate

it would increase the height...but its doable

http://pinoyphotography.org/carry-speed-cs-pro-sling-camera-strap-review/imagesmith-20120608-7574/

At the 24second mark

Edited on Apr 23, 2013 at 02:17 PM · View previous versions

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

Interesting. I'll have to give it some thought. Maybe they will let me try it and return if if I'm not happy with it.

Thanks Sunny

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:16 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1133988/1

the new plate ...half way down.

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/f-1-foldable-mounting-plate

Edited on Apr 23, 2013 at 02:20 PM · View previous versions

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:19 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

I didn't like all the metal and complication of the Carry Speed setup, seemed like overkill to me when I was shopping for straps. I just received my Luma Labs Cinch 2 and it's a little more of a traditional attachment, without intruding on the L-bracket, but carries more like a sling style.

Obviously I only have a little usage time on it now but the reviews for the Cinch are generally great across the board.

Any strap that has traditional attachment points can be turned into a "quick release" strap via something like this:

http://www.customslr.com/products/c-loop-black

It does require you to remove the strap every time you put it on a tripod, of course.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:19 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

The new Luma strap mentioned by BV above looks interesting. I've been using a blackrapid strap with the connector screwed into a 1" AS clamp that clamps onto the camera's L-bracket. Some people have concerns about the clamp unscrewing itself, but after a year of use even with heavy lenses, mine is still very tightly secured.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

The foldable mounting plate does the same thing. Personally i found the CS shoulder strap to be very comfortable and the dual attachment for camera+lens is very handy when mounting the 70-200 2.8 IS II or other heavier lenses on the 1D series camera.

If you're using lighter cameras without the battery grip then weight may not be an issue and you may not need the 2nd attachment that CS comes with.

There are so many choices now, in the end...you decide which one you want to keep.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:27 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

Check out the "rig" I use with my Black Rapid.

?w=584&h=328">

Full writeup here:
http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2011/12/20/black-rapid-arca-solution/

Video walk-through here:
http://youtu.be/XpaOjMXyJGk

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:30 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-FAB-F&type=0&eq=&desc=B2-FAB-F-38mm-clamp-with-flat-back&key=it

Here is the RRS and using the Black Rapid strap. With the L bracket you can attach on the side or bottom. I have not decided what works best yet.

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

M635_Guy wrote:
Video walk-through here:
http://youtu.be/XpaOjMXyJGk

your link is to the Dove commercial and not your actual video.

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:39 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

Sunny Sra wrote:
your link is to the Dove commercial and not your actual video.

YouTube is whack - here's a link to Vimeo:

Apr 23, 2013 at 06:33 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

RRS has a new clamp with loops for a strap:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-FABN&type=0&eq=&desc=B2-FABN%3a-Mini-Clamp-with-3-Strap-Bosses&key=it

Pricy but pruddy...

Apr 23, 2013 at 08:06 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

Gochugogi wrote:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-FABN&type=0&eq=&desc=B2-FABN%3a-Mini-Clamp-with-3-Strap-Bosses&key=it

Pricy but pruddy...

Hmmm...

I'm not sure that helps anything for how I use the clamps. Given how much traffic comes to my site for that specific post, I have a couple of ideas on how they might product-ize it. No word back. Next time I'm on that side of the country, I might wander over to San Luis Obispo...

Apr 23, 2013 at 08:58 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

So i just exchanged the traditional plate that comes with the CS Pro with a F1 series (foldable) one for $10.

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:52 PM
kevinho

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

M635_Guy,

Binary Visions was asking on another thread about how well your setup worked and I was going to point him to your site. You have so many hits because I've been mulling over that setup for some time.

So his question (and I'm interested too), how has the Kirk QR clamp with the BlackRapid fastenR screwed to the bottom worked out? Has it come loose? Do you find yourself checking it constantly? I'm guessing the Loctite is helping too.

More curious now because I think I'm pulling the trigger and going with your idea.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

I've hauled this rig all over the place and it has never hinted at backing out. Last summer I spent 2 weeks in Asia with use most days followed almost immediately by 2 weeks in Europe on vacation where I wore it pretty much all day every day.

Since then it has seen a fair bit of use. I got sick of wondering about the carbiner (the little screw-knob) so I wrapped some gaffer tape around it. It not only works but even makes the rig a little quieter. The clamp itself has been perfect. No issues at all. I used the 1" clamp because it was athe smallest they had and the least expensive. Even if you're using the safety tether (which I'd recommend), I'd stick with Kirk, RRS or Sunwayfoto clamps. The difference between them and cheapie clamps isn't enough to worry about compared to the risk to the camera/lens.

It isn't exactly cheap, but the rig is really seamless for me. I love the strap and I love my tripod, and I haven't worried about one interfering with the other for a long time now.

I've noticed that prices on the small clamps seem to be up a bit since I bought mine, and RRS has come out with a couple of updated clamps directly designed for rigs like mine. I'm not taking credit for that, but I think it is pretty cool.

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Danny Michael

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

Gochugogi wrote:

Pricy but pruddy...

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for posting the link. Ordered.

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:22 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sling Strap-L Bracket compatible-solid but Q-release?

my only comment is this: by using the C SLR assy you eliminate 4 parts in tha chain and still maintain full rotation
you eliminate the 2 parts of the "safety subsystem".
you eliminate the "locking spinning carabiner"
and last but not least the clip hole assy.

less parts to rattle about too.

yes it doesn't have a AS clamp assy and it does require a full 6 rotations to apply. it is also smaller lighter and less complex.

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.