Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · High school baseball shots

jspytek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · High school baseball shots

Just so you know I didn't only shoot the pitcher that day :-) Feedback on these would be appreciated as well.

jspytek 2013

#1 I think I need eyes to make it work - anything else jump out that I can improve?

NIKON D7000    122.0-300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    170mm    f/2.8    1/3200s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

jspytek 2013

#2 I like this because the ball is there - you know the tag is late - I don't like that it looks to me like he's sliding off the picture

NIKON D7000    122.0-300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    240mm    f/5.6    1/6400s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

jspytek 2013

#3 I like the full body slide, I don't like not having the ball. In both pictures the runner's belly is basically on the base (he over slid). Do either of these pictures work? If so which is stronger?

NIKON D7000    122.0-300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    240mm    f/5.6    1/6400s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

jspytek 2013

#4 No action - would this even be considered for a stock photo for the paper - or a parent? I'm thinking early in the season I should shoot the entire team then the editor will have a photo ready for any story?

NIKON D7000    122.0-300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    480mm    f/5.6    1/6400s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · High school baseball shots

#1 no face.... nothing special

#2-3 neither work for me. no peak action or facial expressions

#4 is your best shot

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:37 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #3 · High school baseball shots

#1 agree

2&3 not working at all. Ok, that's fair. Are they not working because it's action but not "peak" action? I'm thinking if the second picture had occured such that the ball was there, the player is sliding but not at the base, you are unsure is he going to be safe or out.... Is that what you are referring too as "peak".

Would it be fair to say 2&3 are shot fine (e.g. focus is correct, clean background,) but they just don't tell a story?

#4 thank you

Apr 23, 2013 at 06:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · High school baseball shots

In both # 2 and 3, the runner/slider is already well ahead of the ball. There is no tag in either shot... no face on the runner and an emotionless face on the IF.

All sports shooters should strive to get "the shot" the shot with peak action, the tag , the bat on the ball, faces present, the blocked shot, the slide, intensity in the shot.

Just because a picture is in focus and the exposure is right does not make a good or great picture. Strive for both and you will get them.

Ted

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:01 PM
tundracamper

p.1 #5 · High school baseball shots

Ted ellis wrote:
All sports shooters should strive to get "the shot" the shot with peak action, the tag , the bat on the ball, faces present, the blocked shot, the slide, intensity in the shot.

Just because a picture is in focus and the exposure is right does not make a good or great picture. Strive for both and you will get them.

Ted

WRT Image #2

I'd like for some elaboration on this since this is an area where I struggle. If the runner were sliding, but positioned a few feet more to the right, so that one could see the bag with it just in reach of the runner, would the image then be "peak action" considering everything else was the same in that image?

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:44 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #6 · High school baseball shots

Thank you very much Ted. I'm finding sports shooting to be more challenging that Meatloaf trying to find love.

I want you (I want you)
I need you (I need you)
But there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you
Now don't be sad (Don't be sad)
'Cause two out of three ain't bad.

Lesson learned is basically if it doesn't have it all, it's not a great sports shot. It might be a filler picture, but it's not "the shot".

Cool, I'll keep click'n and learning.

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:49 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password