Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lightroom + Time Machine

Guillaume de B

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom + Time Machine

Is anyone here using Time Machine permanently connected, providing on-the-go back-ups of the drive where they keep their Lightroom Catalogue? I'm thinking about taking this route so that if my working drive fails at the end of a day of editing I still have all those changes backed up and don't need to redo a day of work.

Another scenario:
What if the drive with my catalogue on is also where I have my current open job? Let's say I import images to a 'working drive' where I have the catalogue, and edit them there before exporting and backing up once the job's completed. I'm thinking this may be a pain with Time Machine backing up multiple gigs of images every time I import them, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Apr 23, 2013 at 07:26 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom + Time Machine

Time Machine = consumer based backup designed so you don't have to think about it. It's also proprietary, and takes a long time to restore your data...so you need a new Mac, and ONLY a Mac, with special software, to restore your data.

I suggest keeping your backup data "open", so you don't need specific hardware, nor software, to access and restore your data.

http://www.spencerboerupblog.com/2009/09/data-management-backup-solutions-for-photographers.html

I wrote that over 3.5 years ago, but its still relevant, and pretty much the same system I'm using, as nothing has really changed for a solid backup system.

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:43 AM
CraigB1960

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom + Time Machine

If you use an Apple Mac, than the Time Capsule forms a pretty good system for unattended backups. But, as pointed out, I certainly would use additional methods to backup images, LR catalogs, and other important work.

I use the Apple Time Capsule with the Time Machine software as a main backup for my mac. I also use several USB-3.0 external drives for backups on my Lightroom catalogs and wedding files. This way, I'm pretty much covered if I have a failure and I keep my images on the external drives in two different locations. I also do this with all my client documents and my wedding database.

My Time Capsule backups every hour any changes that it detects, it backs up.

BTW, my wife has a Dell Laptop running Windows 7 and I have a backup program running on it that is configured almost identical to the Time Machine software on my Mac. It backs her laptop to the Time Capsule every hour. Restoration is about the same. The software for that is: Oopsbackup

http://www.altaro.com/home-pc-backup/
It is touted as the Windows Time Machine.

Both Time Machine software and OopsBackup can backup to any drive, I like the Time Capsule because it handles my wireless home network and my system backup in one box.

Apr 26, 2013 at 03:50 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password