Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · A Cold Spring Afternoon with Mary

Opus944
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · A Cold Spring Afternoon with Mary

It seems that each time I get a chance to shoot with Mary we get rained on. Mary was in town visiting family and wanted to get together for a quick shoot.

I haven't posted in a while, he world of work kept me away for a few months. Hopefully I haven't missed too much while I was away.

Feedback is always welcome.

-Jerry

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:19 AM
dadagallery
• • •
p.1 #2 · A Cold Spring Afternoon with Mary

I like your first two shots regarding posing but the 3rd just doesn't seem to fit her in my opinion. All images appear to have highlights without detail. Nice informal portrait on the first B&W image.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:55 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #3 · A Cold Spring Afternoon with Mary

nice set, maybe show the first two also in color

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM
fstop212
• • • •
p.1 #4 · A Cold Spring Afternoon with Mary

These are well lit and I like the shots. The hair sticking up in the second shot is distracting, (a little bit in #1). #3 is my favorite of the set. All in all, nice shots

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:27 PM
Opus944
• •
p.1 #5 · A Cold Spring Afternoon with Mary

Thanks for the feedback, it is all appreciated. The hair is a result of the very stiff wind we were dealing with, the light courtesy of a an overcast sky. I liked the windblown hair (up to a point), we kept having to change our shooting direction based on where the wind was coming from.

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:35 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #6 · A Cold Spring Afternoon with Mary

I like #2 the best and it's partly because of the hair -- the windblown look is a great look imho. It gives a feeling of freedom, somehow.

kk

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:12 AM

ThreeStone

p.1 #7 · A Cold Spring Afternoon with Mary

The second one for me too. I love the confident impulsive relaxed feel in her look. I also really like your B&W conversion - I don't know quite how to describe it... maybe, rich low contrast... whatever, I like it. Do you mind sharing your method?

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:44 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · A Cold Spring Afternoon with Mary

I find the tree more prominent than the model in #1.

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:56 AM
Opus944
• •
p.1 #9 · A Cold Spring Afternoon with Mary

ThreeStone wrote:
The second one for me too. I love the confident impulsive relaxed feel in her look. I also really like your B&W conversion - I don't know quite how to describe it... maybe, rich low contrast... whatever, I like it. Do you mind sharing your method?

Thanks. I don't have a specific formula on my conversions. I tend to experiment with different tools and settings. This series was done with Nik Silver. I start in PS (CS-6) and do some initial image clean up, then I open it in Nik, start with a preset that gives me a feel I am looking for and just tune it with the different sliders until I hit the mix I like. Then when it is back in PS I do some adjustment in the curves to get the contrast I want and usually finish off with a high-pass filter. It is a purely liquid workflow, meaning I rarely do it the exact same way twice.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Opus944
• •
p.1 #10 · A Cold Spring Afternoon with Mary

Jim Rickards wrote:
I find the tree more prominent than the model in #1.

Thanks, I agree that it is a strong element and I struggled with different crops. It came down to a personal decision, I loved the contrast of the texture in the bark against the softness of the model. I probably could have cropped it more along the middle of the tree to minimize its presence.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:48 AM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · A Cold Spring Afternoon with Mary

second one for me.....tree hugging shots, IMO, are so cliche

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:07 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · A Cold Spring Afternoon with Mary

Opus944 wrote:
Thanks. I don't have a specific formula on my conversions. I tend to experiment with different tools and settings. This series was done with Nik Silver. I start in PS (CS-6) and do some initial image clean up, then I open it in Nik, start with a preset that gives me a feel I am looking for and just tune it with the different sliders until I hit the mix I like. Then when it is back in PS I do some adjustment in the curves to get the contrast I want and usually finish off with a high-pass filter.
...Show more
Maybe there wasn't a better crop. You probably did as good as you could in that shot. Keep them coming. Good work.

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:17 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password