Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

CanonGuy4Life

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

Still trying to decide if going laptop or desktop, of the 2 below which would you opt for??

If desktop would any choose i7 Quad Core 3.9GHz Dell XPS 8500, 32GB Memory, nVIDIA GTX 660 Video Card, 2TB Hard Drive, CD/Bluray Burner, 30 " Dell Ultrasharp Monitor

Or

Apple 6 Core, i7, 3.3GHz, 16GB Memory, Two 18X Optical Drive, 1 TB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 5870 Video Card, 27" Cinema Display

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

which one do you have space for? budget for? Its a computer..it will be outdated in a few months. Get the one that gives you the most "upgradeability"

laptops are always harder to upgrade than desktops.

laptop..u can upgrade the hard drive ...

do you need to travel with...get a laptop.
don't need to travel..use a desktop.

Do u have space for 30" monitor...get that...if not get the 27".

why do you need 2 optical drives for?

There is a rumor that apple is going to release new mac pro later this year...just wait for it to do a better analysis.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:36 AM
CanonGuy4Life

p.1 #3 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

I wish Apple would hurry already, Mac Pro way over due for new specs!!

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

You could go either or both ways (dual boot)...........

http://www.tonymacx86.com/home.php

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #5 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

Sunny Sra wrote:
There is a rumor that apple is going to release new mac pro later this year...just wait for it to do a better analysis.

If you don't have an immediate need for computing power I would wait as well. I have no idea what Apple will release as the successor to the Mac Pro but I think it's worth waiting to see what the specs are and where it is priced.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM
jforkner
• •
p.1 #6 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

I'd let the OS be a determining factor.

If you're a PC-guy, are you willing to transition to Mac-OS? Will all your software run on a Mac? If not, perhaps you should go with the Dell.

If your a Mac-guy, why change? Do you really need the size and capacity of a Mac Pro? Have you considered an iMac?

Personally, I think the notion of upgradeability is way overrated. Years ago, it was important because software upgrades & enhancements were demanding more power. Today...not so much. If you configure your system properly at the outset, you shouldn't need much in the way of upgrades in the near future.

Jack

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:17 PM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #7 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

Dell is a better choice.

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

jforkner wrote:
I'd let the OS be a determining factor.

If you're a PC-guy, are you willing to transition to Mac-OS? Will all your software run on a Mac? If not, perhaps you should go with the Dell.

If your a Mac-guy, why change? Do you really need the size and capacity of a Mac Pro? Have you considered an iMac?

Personally, I think the notion of upgradeability is way overrated. Years ago, it was important because software upgrades & enhancements were demanding more power. Today...not so much. If you configure your system properly at the outset, you shouldn't need much in the way of
...Show more

True..but its rather nice to have the option to upgrade vs not having 1.

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:43 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

ggreene wrote:
If you don't have an immediate need for computing power I would wait as well. I have no idea what Apple will release as the successor to the Mac Pro but I think it's worth waiting to see what the specs are and where it is priced.

by the time he does decide the new ones will be out

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:44 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

How comparable in price are those 2 options?

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

15Bit wrote:
How comparable in price are those 2 options?

I think its $1100 vs $2500

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:01 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

Sunny Sra wrote:
I think its $1100 vs $2500

Not really Apples vs oranges then....

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

I think the question to answer for yourself is ...

How will the $2500 system benefit you more than the $1100 system?

Combine that with your current software platform and your future software requirement costs if you would be changing platforms. Then you should be at least "leaning" a bit more clearly toward the platform direction.

You'll write the check one time ... then you'll have to live with the results of your decision each and every day thereafter (till you write the next check).

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:30 PM
mogud
• • •
p.1 #14 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

CanonGuy4Life wrote:
Still trying to decide if going laptop or desktop, of the 2 below which would you opt for??

If desktop would any choose i7 Quad Core 3.9GHz Dell XPS 8500, 32GB Memory, nVIDIA GTX 660 Video Card, 2TB Hard Drive, CD/Bluray Burner, 30 " Dell Ultrasharp Monitor

Or

Apple 6 Core, i7, 3.3GHz, 16GB Memory, Two 18X Optical Drive, 1 TB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 5870 Video Card, 27" Cinema Display

I just purchased the Dell system you are trying to decide about. My only difference is that my system has the Radeon 2gb 7700 video card and the 256 SSD. I couldn't be happier with this system. LR 4.4 is very quick and the monitor, once callibrated with i1Display Pro, is amazing. I vote for the Dell.

Apr 23, 2013 at 08:25 PM
ebiggs
• •
p.1 #15 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

I have the Dell 8500 with 16 GB RAM. I run two 27" monitors. I run LR 4 and CS 6 plus my email all at the same time without notice. It is fast, very fast.
Mine has a gForce 660 w/1 GB and a SB Titanium, also. It was $1349 at Micro Center.

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:01 PM
ebiggs
• •
p.1 #16 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

I have the Dell 8500 with 16 GB RAM. I run two 27" monitors. I run LR 4 and CS 6 plus my email all at the same time without notice. It is fast, very fast.
Mine has a gForce 660 w/1 GB and a SB Titanium, also. It was $1349 at Micro Center.

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:01 PM
ebiggs
• •
p.1 #17 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

The only reason I don't buy Macs is they are so expensive compared to PCs. The same unit as my Dell in a Mac would have been $2500+. Plus the limited selection of software is often more expensive.
The thing of it is, is once the software is running it is difficult to tell which is which. I could be happy with either if they were price competitive.

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:10 PM
jstntym
• •
p.1 #18 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

Another recent 8500 SE purchaser here, only I purchased the U2410 with mine. It runs very quiet and much faster than my laptop for any tasks. I purchased it as my main post processing machine. Though I've only used it a couple of hours, it will see a lot more use in the future. The ultra sharp 2410 is a fine monitor also..

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:28 PM
james.d53
• •
p.1 #19 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

CanonGuy4Life wrote:

Or

MacPro........end of discussion!! I have had PC's since the mid 80's and only had two Macs. One is a laptop and the other is a MacPro. These guys just work!! No hiccups! No needing to have a second job as a computer guy to keep them from crashing.

Everything on these machines work flawlessly. I will never go back to a PC!

May 01, 2013 at 08:26 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition or Apple Mac Pro???

jforkner wrote:
Personally, I think the notion of upgradeability is way overrated. Years ago, it was important because software upgrades & enhancements were demanding more power. Today...not so much. If you configure your system properly at the outset, you shouldn't need much in the way of upgrades in the near future.

True to some extent, but I have enjoyed the upgradeability of my Mac Pro, since I can put lots of RAM and bigger internal hard drives into them relatively easily, cheaply, and long after I purchased the computer. Ive been running a 2009 Nehalem model for close to 5 years right now, and am still swapping new drives in and out. I never suffer for speed or capacity issues, even while while running 3D applications and D800 files.

That said, I wouldn't buy a Mac Pro now. They are not only obsolete, but they were too expensive even when they were state-of-the-art. Arguably, they were too expensive when I bought my MacPro in 2009, but they've only gotten worse ever since.

May 03, 2013 at 03:46 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password