could use feedback on the processing, tweaks, thoughts about the crop
Thx
Scott

Apr 22, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · High Key?

Oh yes. I like the delicate touch - well done. Variation: smooth the grain/noise in the darker area very slightly; and just a shade darker on the bill.

And I am certain you have already selected the frame and mat

Regards,

Bob

Apr 22, 2013 at 07:03 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · High Key?

Well done, but I would like to see a bit more detail and a little less high key.

Apr 22, 2013 at 09:56 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · High Key?

I'm not generally a big fan of high key, but it makes an interesting choice for this one.

Maybe a bit of rotation to pull the neck off the vertical?

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:17 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · High Key?

Karen,
that finishes it nicely
I am pretty much a Photoshop novice. Can you explain what steps you took?
Scott

Apr 23, 2013 at 07:18 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · High Key?

Bob Jarman wrote:
Oh yes. I like the delicate touch - well done. Variation: smooth the grain/noise in the darker area very slightly; and just a shade darker on the bill.

And I am certain you have already selected the frame and mat

Regards,

Bob

I agree with your suggestions. Thanks Bob.
Scott

sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · High Key?

Camperjim wrote:
Well done, but I would like to see a bit more detail and a little less high key.

Fair enough.
Thanks Jim.
Scott

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · High Key?

I dragged the image to PS, selected all, dragged the window by the LR corner to expand the window. Then I clicked on Edit>transform>Rotate, grabbed a corner and rotated it some clockwise. Then I clicked on Select>Inverse to select the corners that the rotate created and used shift-delete to do a content aware fill for the corners. Then I used the clone stamp to clean-up the created parts of the rotated frame and blend the corners.

The result of the above steps created the first layer. To lighten the edges of the modified image I used the lasso to make a selection and used the refine edge to feather the selection. Then I make an exposure new layer using the selection and bumped the exposure to further lighten the selected border area. Then I used a filter layer to add a slight bit more warmth. Finally I made a new layer from the existing layers, used Topaz DeNoise to reduce the shadow gritties, added a little mid-tone bump with USM and used the sharpening tool to slightly sharpen the eye and bill and some feathers the DeNoise had slightly softened.

Apr 23, 2013 at 09:23 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · High Key?

Details which contrasts with the background field attracts attention. That's true with light and dark backgrounds, but easier to do on dark because you can just 'aim the spotlight at the star of the show'.

On this white background the darkest area in the frame is the pupil of the eye, which is good, because it is a natural content focal point viewers will find and fixate on. Most will then follow the dark contrasting leading line of the beak. You could manipulate how likely and how soon they will do that by modifying it's tone. For maximum dwell time on the eye focal point you might want to try lightening the beak more near to the eye as you did at the tip.

I find the top bow of the neck dodged a bit too much to the point of loosing the nice curved leading line so I'd suggest darkening it so it will contrast slightly with the background and it's form will be noticed.

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:19 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · High Key?

Karen,
Thanks again for the time to offer such a detailed response.

Chuck,
I agree. Thanks for the suggestion.

Scott

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:29 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · High Key?

You are most welcome!

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:46 PM
robsam23

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · High Key?

I like this Scott. It's like wildlife meets fine art!

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:37 PM
Beabs

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · High Key?

Beautiful; I would add just a hair more detail. No much though. Nicely done!

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:38 PM
odnanref

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · High Key?

Great image but I'd suggest trying to recover some details or perhaps use a bit more contrast? However, that might have been your intention, and if so great work.
-Odnan

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.