Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

Goracle

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

My wife and I just jumped into the DSLR world and purchased a Canon 60D. Along with the camera we got the "nifty fifty" 50mm Canon f/1.8 II prime lens and I also snagged the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens because it was only $200 with the purchase of the camera.

We still want something to cover inside shooting and something specifically for portraits. I'm trying to decide between either two more primes (Canon 85mm f/1.8 and a Canon 28mm f/1.8) or the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. I want to have the flexibility to cover anything (baby pictures, kids, etc.) but ultimately want to get the best picture quality possible. If you were in my shoes, which option would you go with? A zoom lens, or the 28mm and 85mm primes?

I'm new to this but trying to do my research up front. We both want to commit to this and purchase decent quality lenses early on rather than dealing with perpetual upgrading. However, we're on a limited budget and can't get into the "L" range.

Thanks for the help!

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:28 PM
timbop
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

If you are just getting into photography, I highly recommend a zoom and a flash. As you get more experience you'll learn what focal lenghts suit your style, and certainly being able to anticipate and have the right prime on to catch a moment takes a little time. More importantly, getting good results indoors really does require a flash - even if you have a wide aperture prime.

As for a lens, I had a tamron 28-75/2.8 on my 20d and found that the image quality was great but 28mm wasn't wide enough. When tamron came out with the 17-50/2.8, I bought one and it suited me much better. IMHO you would be better off with the 17-50 (the non-VC version) and a flash like the 430ex.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Goracle

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

Thanks for the advice. I actually do have the 430 EX on the way, as many people recommended investing in a good flash early on. It sounds like the 17-50 might be a good option, though I'm nervous about not being able to go past 50mm. Though perhaps pairing that 17-50 with an 85mm prime down the road might be an option. I'll certainly consider the 17-50 now that you mention it. My wife and I are expecting our first baby within about 7 months and we want something that will be able to take great pictures even in a small hospital room.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

Would the efs 17-55 2.8 IS be too rich? Used maybe $700. IMHO it's the best zoom lens for crop. Since you're relatively new to the dslr world I'd suggest zooms over primes, no doubt your wife will be happier with a zoom. And congrats on the kid. You'll never be so tired in your entire life but its totally worth it!

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Goracle

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

It does look a little rich for us at this point. Big insurance deductible coming. That lens looks great though, wish it was in my price range!

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:43 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

Goracle wrote:
My wife and I just jumped into the DSLR world and purchased a Canon 60D. Along with the camera we got the "nifty fifty" 50mm Canon f/1.8 II prime lens and I also snagged the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens because it was only $200 with the purchase of the camera.

We still want something to cover inside shooting and something specifically for portraits. I'm trying to decide between either two more primes (Canon 85mm f/1.8 and a Canon 28mm f/1.8) or the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. I want to have the flexibility to cover anything (baby pictures, kids, etc.)
...Show more

assuming you don't need f/1.8, the 28-75 has better image quality than that prime, the tamron is sharp corner to corner on APS-C, very slow AF but otherwise an amazing lens on APS-C (tamron 17-50 2.8 is awesome too although in your case you may prefer the longer reach, for most the 17-50 range might be better, but it sounds like not in your case)

the 85 1.8 is a good prime

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Lunchb0x8
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

I will give you advice I wish I had listened to.

Don't buy anything more than what you have on the way just yet.

Use what you have, practice, and get good with what you have, then, you will figure out what you need to get better shots.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Goracle

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

Lunchb0x8 wrote:
I will give you advice I wish I had listened to.

Don't buy anything more than what you have on the way just yet.

Use what you have, practice, and get good with what you have, then, you will figure out what you need to get better shots.

Good advice. We were just going to get two lenses to start (50mm prime and something else) but then Amazon offered the 70-300 f/4-5.6 for only $200 with the purchase of the Canon 60D. Eventually we wanted to get a telephoto for some outdoor sports/wildlife pictures so we decided to bite the bullet early and save $300. We still need a lens that will be a little wider as we plan on doing our own photography in the hospital once our baby comes.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:06 AM
Lunchb0x8
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

To be honest, the nifty 50 is great for portraits and close ups of the new bundle of joy.

If anything, maybe an 85mm down the line.

I find the wider the lens, the wider the person looks.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:37 AM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

50mm on the crop sensor isn't very wide, since its a no go on the 17-55 get the tamron 17-50, 50mm is going to be plenty long for you and in the delivery and/or recovery room it's going to be tight if 50mm is your widest lens. The tamron 28-70 is also highly regarded for the price but since your on aps c the 17-50 offers a better range IMHO.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sy Sez

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

Personally, I'd go with the EF15-85 S IS

I currently have an EF17-85, (and a 10-22), and though the 17-85 is a pretty good lens, from all I've heard and read, the 15-85 is one of the best APS-C lenses Canon makes.

Check the Digital Picture review: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-15-85mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

I'm going to sell my 17-85, and get one myself while the $100 instant rebate's in effect. $650 at Amazon, B&H, Adorama.

Leigh
www.leighwax.com

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:58 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

I'd make sure you understand the crop factor on your 60d before going much further. You seem to be talking from a film focal length understanding. If I'm wrong, and you already understand this, please excuse me.

As for lenses, I loved my Tamron when I had it, but ultimately its autofocus was a big drawback for me. I stick with USM lenses now. The 15-85 will be a great lens on the 60d. That will cost less than the 85 and 28mm primes.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:09 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

I know a lot of people around here are pretty happy with their sigma 30mm f/1.4 (new $350) which would land you right around 50mm on a full frame camera. As Jason Patrick was hinting at - your 60D has a sensor that is smaller than that of a 35mm film frame (or a full frame). It is described as a cropped sensor or APS-C (C is for cropped). A Canon APS-C sensor is 1.6x smaller than a full frame sensor (like the canon 5D or 1Ds/1Dx series or any film camera). Basically what this cuts down to is that the effective focal length that you see in the final image captured by the sensor is 1.6 times the focal length seen on the lens. So your 50mm on your 60D is producing images that are similar to an 80mm lens on a 5D (as far as focal length goes - there are some other things involved but I wouldn't worry about that at this point).

What I am really getting at is that the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is effectively going to produce images similar to a 27-88mm lens on a 35mm/full frame sensor - which is really an excellent focal range for a standard length do-everything walk around zoom. The 15-85 is supposedly a hell of a deal and worth looking into. If you are really in this for the long haul, it is worth looking into picking up a 17-40mm f/4 L - it is going to be a solid lens that will last you a long long time. It is being sold for $739 new and you can find like-new in box copies around the buy/sell forums here for $600 - used copies are even less. It is a stupendous value for the price and I have been meaning to pick one up myself to cover my wide end for a while but never find myself wanting anything wider than a 35mm for my work.

Realistically, you should poke your head around Bryan Carnathan's website and check out the multitudes of lenses that he has review and find one that suits your needs. He is biased towards Canon lenses but since you will primarily be looking at those I don't think that should be much of an issue. The ISO12233 comparison crops will show you the difference in sharpness and contrast between various lens models if you really want to dive off the deep end. Otherwise, the written reviews are fair, well written, and targeted towards the buyers of the price range that any given lens he is reviewing fall in. A link to the list of reviewed items is below:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Site-Index/

Best of luck figuring this out and welcome to fred miranda!

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:42 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

You will be fine with the 17-50/17-55 range on your crop for general photography. Bryan Carnathan's reviews (the-digital-picture.com) are very good, but be careful going too far down the rabbit hole with looking at test charts, etc - you'll end up as crazy as the rest of us here :-)

I've used the tammy 28-75,tammy 17-50, and canon 17-55IS for weddings and it is true the AF is faster on the canon. However, the tammy's AF is still pretty good and the image quality of the 17-50 is close to the 17-55. The tammy is much more affordable than canon - especially if you buy used; you can get the 17-50 for around $350. I'd rather have a fixed f/2.8 lens then a variable 3.5-5.6 lens - the center diagonal cross AF point will always be active

In the end sticking with the mentioned lenses (17-50, 17-55, 15-85) you can't really go wrong

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Goracle

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

This is all very helpful. Based on all the information I've gotten here and at some other forums, I've decided to find something that can go wider than the 28-75mm. Jason, I am starting to understand the crop sensor and how that affects my lens selection (e.g. a 28mm is not actually 28mm). I've narrowed my lens options down to four and I'm still struggling to decide between them. I'll post the four I'm debating (from most expensive to least) between and see if you all can guide me a little further:

Canon 17-40mm f/4L
This looks like a great option but I'm nervous that the f/4 will not give me as great performance in low light conditions, especially because I don't see any IS technology listed.

Canon 15-85mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM
This also looks like a great option but I've heard (and this could be completely off) that the more range a zoom lens covers, the more you sacrifice in terms of overall quality. I'm more interested in low-light, wider performance and wonder if another option might be better.

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS
This was recommended to me over at another forum as people seemed to really like the OS technology for low light performance. I also like the 4 year warranty on the EX lenses.

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Non-VC
Everyone has said this is a great lens and it's a great price. Doesn't seem like I would go wrong getting this one but I'm wondering if it's worth paying a little more for one of the others.

Thoughts?

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:41 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

I'd get either the Sigma or Tamron. What will you be using the OS for? If you are shooting people then OS isn't particularly useful as you'll be wanting to keep above 1/60 to minimise motion blur from the subject (and you). If you want it for a wide range of uses, including static indoor subjects the OS would be useful to you. Both are decent lenses for the money.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:54 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

You honestly can't go wrong here. But since youre looking at low light/available light then the variable aperture zoom and the f4 aren't realistic unless you plan to use flash. I've never used or looked into the sigma or owned the tamron but I did get close to buying a tamron before I found a good used copy of the 17-55 2.8. It seemed to me the tamron is a good performer especially considering the price. IS isn't really needed in this focal range and shooting small kids your shutter will probably have to be normally above 125 so it's not that useful. That being said I normally would rather have IS and not need it than need it and not have it. If pricing is similar I'd say get the sigma if not save some cash and buy the tamron.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

I recommend the 15-85 IS lens -- it seldom leaves my 60D. Image quality is excellent throughout the whole range.

My second choice would be the new 18-135 STM, because I also like to do video occasionally.

The 17-55 IS would be great too. But it is in a much higher price range.

I think you will be happiest with the 15-85 for the time being. Later, you might investigate some prime lenses, when you know which would be most useful to you.

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:04 PM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

Goracle wrote:
This is all very helpful. Based on all the information I've gotten here and at some other forums, I've decided to find something that can go wider than the 28-75mm. Jason, I am starting to understand the crop sensor and how that affects my lens selection (e.g. a 28mm is not actually 28mm). I've narrowed my lens options down to four and I'm still struggling to decide between them. I'll post the four I'm debating (from most expensive to least) between and see if you all can guide me a little further:

The 15-85 is, by all accounts, an excellent lens, although I haven't used one. You will be a little limited by the smaller apeture, but the IS will balance that out if your subject isn't moving too fast.

I have a 17-40, and like it a lot, but I'm shooting full frame, so its a completely different lens. You will be a bit limited by the f/4 apeture and you won't have IS to help out. 40mm on the long end is a bit short.

The sigma gets pretty mixed reviews, just like most sigmas before their most current generation of designs - they seemed to have a lot of sample variation. They recently re-did their QC process and the almost universally well reviewed 35/1.4 is the first result. The first zoom to come out of their new line is the 17-70 f/2.8-4 and they just announced a 18-35 f/1.8. I expect they will release a new version of the 17-50/2.8 in the next year or so. I had a 30/1.4 for a few years and was pretty happy with it. It was a stellar lens for catching toddlers in action, and there's a new version of that out as well. While I was happy with my one sigma, it was one of the more universally liked Sigmas of the previous generation (the 17-50 isn't) - I probably won't spend my money on any Sigmas that don't get A LOT of good reviews - currently I'm only considering the 35/1.4.

I owned the Tammy 17-50 non-VC until a couple months ago and it was my most used lens. There isn't a better zoom available for a crop unless you spend enough for a Canon 15-85 or 17-55.

To sum all that up - of the lenses you list, I'd go with the Tamron 17-50. BUT, I think you'd be best served by using what you have for a while and finding out what equipment your style of photography needs. The 50/1.8 will be stellar for pictures of the new baby; once you have a toddler, you'll need to think about something else to keep up (and zoom out at they run straight toward the camera . . .)

-Justin

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:15 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Seeking advice: 28-75mm Tamron Zoom or Two Primes

JustinR wrote:
I owned the Tammy 17-50 non-VC until a couple months ago and it was my most used lens. There isn't a better zoom available for a crop unless you spend enough for a Canon 15-85 or 17-55.

Agree that the tammy is only surpassed by the canon 17-55, but the narrow variable aperture of the 15-85 significantly negates the IS in my opinion. You're already at 2 stops slower shutter speed just by the aperture, and unless you are doing landscape or subjects that will sit still (kids don't) the other stop or so from IS won't really be there. The same argument applies to the 17-40, although I really love mine on my 5dm3's - but I get the stop back by being able to push the ISO to 8000.

Apr 23, 2013 at 08:18 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password