Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

IndyFab
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

I remember reading here, you need to head to the tram as soon as the park opens, to avoid the lines latter in the day.

3 questions:

What side of the tram is best for photo opportunities left or right

2nd Does the tram makes stops or is it continuious ride. Thinking it may stop as it loads people on other trams, somewhat like a ski lift.

Is a 400 to long or do you need to add a TC to that.

Thanks for Looking
Much appreciated

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

as far as I remember, they do stop along the way to see animals, but not to pick up people. I don't think one side is better than another, and 400 is probably a good focal length. Nothing stops you from bringing a TC in your pocket and adding it if needed.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:33 PM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #3 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

Thanks Tim

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Wobble
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

You want to be there early, not to avoid the crowds, but when it is cool outside and the animals are more active.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:01 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

IndyFab wrote:
What side of the tram is best for photo opportunities left or right ...Does the tram makes stops or is it continuious ride. ...Is a 400 to long or do you need to add a TC to that.

Things happen on both sides, so there isn't really a "best side."

They'll stop sometimes for animals on the roadway, and for some special "attractions" along the way, but for the most part it's continuous and you just have to be ready to shoot.

A 400 prime may be too long in some cases. They have the course laid out so that the animals are not too far away when they can be seen at all. Sometimes they'll even be right next to you. A zoom is ideal in those cases, so you can quickly adjust framing as needed.

I haven't been back since I got my 7D and my 70-200 IS; the examples below were taken when I had just got my 20D (about a week before), and had been away from photography for more than 10 years, so they're not great photos (especially the last one) -- bad focus, camera shake, etc. -- but they should give you an idea of the distances and angles you'll be seeing (especially the last one).

[Edit] The gorillas were shot on the walking portion, not from the tram.

Canon EOS 20D    46mm    f/4.0    1/60s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 20D    65mm    f/8.0    1/250s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 20D    300mm    f/5.6    1/250s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 20D    92mm    f/5.6    1/90s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 20D    77mm    f/6.7    1/180s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:11 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #6 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

I'd say get to the AK as soon as it opens. Fast Pass the ride, Jungle Safari, when you get there, then go ride it. You can then use your FP to ride it again when you get off. If the line isn't too long, stand in line saving the FP for a third ride. There are lots of strategies around using FP to maximize ride usage. When the park first opens, the crowd is divided between Expedition Everest, a roller coaster and Jungle Safari. Stay left if heading to the safari ride.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:41 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

The last time I shot there was when I was shooting film and F1. I had the 400, 80-200, 50, 20-35 with me. The 400 was great for distance shots but there was many a time that shoots were missed because the animals at times were right next to the vehicle. Didn't always have time to change the lens.

The other thing to keep in mind the seating was 4 across, both outsides were fine for shooting but if in the middle you had to shoot through people.

I agree get there early, I don't know if they still have early opening if they do take advantage of it. I recall that I was able to go on it 3 times before the crowds started to arrive.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:49 AM
gwaww
• •
p.1 #8 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

Been there many times (I have 14 grandkids) and with many different camera set-ups from point and shoot to back pack with long lenses etc. The best photos and photo experience was with a 40D and a Tamron 18-250 because I was always ready. I have 11-14 prints from that trip that are just fine. They are way better than the ones I didn't get because I was changing lenses. Never again would I take a long prime.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gwaww
• •
p.1 #9 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

I meant 11x14 prints. Also remember that AK closes much earlier that the other Disney parks.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:18 PM
J_Glowacki
• •
p.1 #10 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

Be quick........ They don't stop very long and from what I remember the ride is pretty bumpy.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:25 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

I recall the not stopping long and the bumps.

When you see a shot while stopped shoot quickly get the first shot then worry about any fancy compositions far too often we were stopped only for a few seconds.

I recall once that the rhinos were crossing the road in front of us. The driver stopped, once they crossed the driver with no warning took off like a bolt of lightning.

Keep in mind Disney has a time frame in which each vehicle should complete the ride. Aside from rare delays caused by the animals in the way or the rare mechanical breakdown they pretty much keep it within the allotted time.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:12 PM
Malux
• •
p.1 #12 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

i'm in Orlando and go to AK a fair amount. Like others have pointed out, there' really isn't a good side. If you can, though, sit in the back. This way you can swing your camera around and not get in anyone's way.

i usually shoot with the 70-200, but I think you'll be ok with the 400. However, there will be times when the animals are just too close. If i had to pick between the 2, i'd take the 70-200, but I know you'll wish for the 400 sometimes.

That doesn't give you much of an answer, but animals are unpredictable and there's no way to tell. the 200 will give you more flexibility throughout the day though.

Keep in mind: the ride is very bumpy, it can be frustrating shooting on it. Also, light might not be ideal earlier in the morning unless there are extra magic hours. But, the animals may be more visible/active.

Finally, here's one of my Lion Shots from AK

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Malux
• •
p.1 #13 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

Another opportunity for you is at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, there are some animal viewing areas (one that comes to mind is by the restaurant Sanaa). I don't know where you're staying, but figured i'd through it out there.

there aren't that many animals but you will get some decent shots.

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:30 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

first let me say I've never been but, I have to ask what 400 your thinking of taking with you ? and what you plan on doing with it for the rest of your day? oh and will you be tagging kids with you?

if its a 5.6 then OK maybe thats easy enough to put up with for the rest of the day but an f4 (even if being DO its quite compact) or worse the 2.8 do you REALLY want to lug that round for the day. of course you can always head back to the room to ditch the gear but unless your right in the AK thats not exactly going to be a 'quick' trip is it ? and with kids in tow that could be quite a strain.

[side note] although ive never been to the orlando disney my sis-in-law goes most years (points package thing) and im always hearing how my father in law wont ever go again (they take the parents some times ) due to the issues with getting around (I know they provide great transport around the place but its always busy) .

for me it was bad enough in the paris disney. made the mistake of taking too much gear in the morning (wanted to get good shots of the parades and the evening shows) and being stuck with it all day (even a fairly close hotel was too far) . never again !!!

Apr 23, 2013 at 06:05 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
...my father in law wont ever go again...due to the issues with getting around...

Yeah, the place is really big, and a lot of time is spent getting from place to place. Advance planning so one can dine at the same theme park you're visiting and so on is key.

I'm fortunate in that I don't have kids, and usually go alone for at least part of my trip; so for me the "getting around" is part of the fun. Trains, boats, buses, and monorails galore.

Canon EOS 20D    65mm    f/4.5    1/60s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 23, 2013 at 09:42 PM
wnichols
• •
p.1 #16 · Quick Question ~ Animal Kingdom~Orlando

The only section of the ride that would matter which side, left or right, would be where the lions are. They are up on a hill to the left of the tram.

Bumpy would be an understatement, especially in the back so i would try to keep the shutter speed up as much as possible.

Some of my favorite shots are in the open plains area where the giraffes/elephants are and they roam on both sides through this area.

I would agree with some of the others that a 400 could get very close for some of it and you are in pretty close quarters with everyone else. I would stick with a 70-200 and a converter if needed.

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password