Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

how do you charge for your larger prints?

briancphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · how do you charge for your larger prints?

I was wondering if I could get some feedback from some of you. I have a client and they would like some much larger prints than I normally print made for them. I was curious how all of you figure out what to charge. This is for ready to hang landscape prints

For example if a smaller print costs you 100 dollars to get made and you normally charged 200 dollars how would you charge for a print that costs you 250 dollars. Would you still double the price and charge 500 dollars or would you just aim to make the same profit and charge 350? Or do you have a sliding scale where you charge half way between etc.

I am not trying to be nosy about how much you get for a print just how the size of the print figures into what you charge. Thanks for any help. Brian

Apr 22, 2013 at 01:46 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #2 · how do you charge for your larger prints?

This is perhaps a topic for the Pro Digital Corner forum ?

Apr 22, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · how do you charge for your larger prints?

Brian,
In addition try the landscape forum. Lots of folks there who sell their work.

Apr 22, 2013 at 07:40 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #4 · how do you charge for your larger prints?

I actually posted it in the landscape forum but Jim moved it in here Maybe I will try in the Pro Digital again if I don't get any replies here. Brian

Apr 22, 2013 at 08:26 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · how do you charge for your larger prints?

personally, i would'nt necessarily "double" it. for example, say 20x30 is $100 (framed and all) and you charge $200. Then 30x60..costs $200 ...charge $350~375.

It allso depends on # of prints, do you want repeat business etc. If its small quantity, naturally no discounts. if its multiple you would want to factor that in...unless you're not getting a volume discount from your framer.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #6 · how do you charge for your larger prints?

briancphoto wrote:
I was wondering if I could get some feedback from some of you. I have a client and they would like some much larger prints than I normally print made for them. I was curious how all of you figure out what to charge. This is for ready to hang landscape prints

What do you mean by 'ready to hang'? Are you matting, glazing, and framing them? Because the framing costs should be way more than the printing costs. And are you talking of their image or yours?

Brian A

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:33 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · how do you charge for your larger prints?

I print, matte and frame my own prints. I sell my larger prints ( 24x30 and up ) at a much larger price to cost ratio than my smaller prints. People who can afford the larger prints are much less price sensitive than people looking at bargain smaller prints. I typically sell larger prints for $600 and up, but my costs are no where near those prices.

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:44 AM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · how do you charge for your larger prints?

By ready to hang I mean not a print but either framed or canvas which is mounted or I have been printing a lot on metal which are not framed but can be mounted directly on the wall. I am not doing any of that work. I just take the picture but have someone else get it ready to hang. So when I say the print costs 100 dollars that includes all of the printing and mounting options included. Thanks

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #9 · how do you charge for your larger prints?

Are you just uprezzing or putting more effort into having a large print look good?

This can involve more proofs where you are tweaking color, noise control, sharpening, and any artifacts that become apparent in the larger sizes.

Personnally I don't like looking at digital noise or jpeg artifacts (or other) blown up to large sizes like 24x36 and larger....

Also consider that a large print could have its own light source illuminating it and you may want to compensate for tungsten vs halogen or other lighting.

This is all additional labor that can add significant costs to a one of a kind print.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:23 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password