New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

US law taxing internet purchases is moving forward. Not a sure thing that it will pass but could happen. This may be of interest to some here who are planning business equipment acquisitions.

Edited on Apr 22, 2013 at 01:04 AM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

Booooo

Apr 22, 2013 at 01:03 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

Vote may happen as soon as Monday, April 22nd.

Apr 22, 2013 at 01:06 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

This bill has been rejected many times before. Now the sponsors are attempting to pass it a week after it was reintroduced. Basically it puts small companies out of business before they start. Collecting taxes for every state and municipality would require a staff just for that purpose. It's a unnecessary burdon and completely unenforceable.

Apr 22, 2013 at 08:13 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

borderlight wrote:
Basically it puts small companies out of business before they start.

Isn't there an exception for companies with less than a million dollars in sales?

Apr 22, 2013 at 03:22 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

TTLKurtis wrote:
Booooo

Passed this round today, 74 votes in favor, 20 votes against.

Edited on Apr 22, 2013 at 05:36 PM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2013 at 05:30 PM
ronfronberg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

Taxes should be collected if the area you live collects taxes.

Apr 22, 2013 at 05:33 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

The President wants it, saying, this will "level the playing field" for local small business retailers that compete with online retailers.

Apr 22, 2013 at 05:36 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

D. Diggler wrote:
The President wants it, saying, this will "level the playing field" for local small business retailers that compete with online retailers.

If the President wants the bill passed it figures that the chances of it actually passing in the Republican-controlled House is close to nil. They have not passed a bill he liked since they controlled the House. There is a Supreme Court ruling against this issue which might come into play at some point. The only reason that Amazon is for the bill is because they were basically forced to comply. Obviously Walmart and Best Buy are for it because they don't like e-tailers taking away sales when they have to charge sales tax to their customers on their brick & mortar stores. As the law stands in PA everyone is paying sales tax to any e-company with a presence in the state. BTW: Some big Wall St. investment houses are also against it.

Apr 22, 2013 at 06:54 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

Recently I read about someone who's friend owns a local mom-and-pop camera store. The store can match internet prices but they cannot match not collecting the state's 7% sales tax. Here is an exact case in point of how this law will level the playing field for the little guy, too, not just the Walmarts and Best Buys.

Apr 22, 2013 at 07:35 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

The catch to all this is that a state may decide not to impose any new taxes and be within their rights. That would also include states that don't charge sales tax. E-bay is against it, as are all libertarian minded groups which wield enormous power. Investment firms are against it because it will lead to additional taxes per transaction.

The Mom & Pop camera store is a dinosaur. The few remaining ones make their living on prints, ready-made frames, sundries, and P&S cameras during the Christmas holidays. All can be bought online and cheaper too.

Anyway, the Senate vote was only to bring it to a vote, not passage. We saw what happens to a common sense law requiring extended background checks for gun ownership in the Senate where 90% of the people wanted it passed. If the sales tax bill makes it to the House it will either be watered down, or won't come to a vote....IMO.

As long as the billionaire Koch Bros. are allowed to frag the Pennsylvania landscape without paying the state any money to do so, I will be against paying Internet sales taxes. Collect it from them first.

Apr 22, 2013 at 09:09 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

Our inept, incompetent and immoral government will continue to wrestle the last dollar from the powerless masses while CEO's and politicians will continue to roll in their ill-gotten gains. Forget it. It's over. There's nothing left for the little guy to do but wring his hands and empty his wallet.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

ronfronberg wrote:
Taxes should be collected if the area you live collects taxes.

Then brick and mortar stores should have to charge shipping and handling charges that are usually added to internet orders… plus, there needs to be an offset against the added cost of the online stores having to comply with every State… County…. City… and Town tax ordinance when someone makes a purchase from an on line vendor.… Talk about stifling new business … there is no end to the greed of professional politicians… IMHO…

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Mike Pearson
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

If things were only as simple as most folks think.

First, every state that has a sales tax also has a use tax. The use tax applies to any transaction subject to sales tax on which the tax was not charged and requires the purchaser to self-report and pay the tax to the state. So, law-abiding customers will not end up paying any more than they currently pay if this legislation passes. They will simply not have to go to the trouble of reporting and paying the tax separately from the purchase transaction. Those who don’t believe in rule of law can be expected to resent an end to their gravy train.

Second, Quill was actually a step away from the Supreme Court’s earlier National Bellas Hess decision. A close reading shows they realized the Hess decision was wrong but they did not want to upset what they called “long settled expectations.” So, they threw out the due process basis of Hess and substituted “long settled expectations” and the dormant commerce clause. They out-right invited Congress to legislatively allow the states to require sales tax collection. In other taxes, such as income tax, they subsequently ruled physical presence was not necessary (see for example Geoffrey and denied reviews in FIA Card Services and Lanco).

Third, after the court’s invitation to Congress in Quill, Congress told the states that if they could remove the burden of reporting to more than one collector in each state, have one rate for each state and generally simplify things then Congress would allow the states to require collection. The states have argued among themselves almost ever since, but lately development of the Streamlined Sales Tax Project among the states and computer tax programs have led to effective removal of the burden on businesses. A very cheap computer program and requiring the customer to key-in his billing address (which he already does) will automatically put the tax on the bill. Fear of that progress led Congress some years back to pass temporary legislation limiting “taxation of the internet.”

This is not a new tax. It is merely effective collection of an existing tax. I have not been paying it, but I’m not going to whine about how unfair it is that I will have to start paying what I have owed all along.

I hear complaints about the loss of local camera stores. Well lots of local businesses have disappeared due to internet competition. Equal enforcement of the tax already imposed on sales will help the small businesses.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:42 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

Mike Pearson wrote:
law-abiding customers will not end up paying any more than they currently pay if this legislation passes. They will simply not have to go to the trouble of reporting and paying the tax separately from the purchase transaction.

Right! You're already supposed to be paying this tax. It's nothing new. This law will just make your accounting much easier in that you won't have to keep track of all your internet purchases throughout the year for when you file your income taxes. This tax will simply be added on to each purchase; you won't have to come up with a lump sum payment for all you owe from throughout the year when you file your annual income tax.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:28 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

I don't shop exclusively on the Internet, and neither does anyone else. All the big stores are still charging you sales tax if you shop their e-commerce websites because they have a presence in every state. You are charged sales tax on everything from restaurant food to your cable bill - some in the 8% range. The American people are still picking up the tab for every Washington fiasco in the last ten years. It all means less money for the states. Higher taxes of any variety are the end result of those costly (planned) mistakes.

I feel no remorse in not contributing additional taxes via the Internet. Those who feel it is only fair that those e-businesses have an edge over the brick & mortar because they aren't charging sales tax are naive. They pass laws to commpensate for their failures and send you the bill. More taxes only helps those businesses who aren't creative enough to compete.

Apr 23, 2013 at 07:46 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

I pay closer to 10% and I'm also paying more in payroll taxes and my health care costs have gone up, as have my daughter's college costs, etc., etc. I'm in a high tax state. this isn't going to do me any favors and I doubt it's going to solve California's revenue issues.

This is going to turn a $650 Sony RX100 into an almost $715 RX100. (Assuming I wasn't really, really careful about my sales and use tax payments. I'm pretty sure 90% of the taxpayers adhere to use tax requirements just like 90% of the voters really wanted common sense registration.) This helps Amazon and Best Buy and WalMart and CostCo and doesn't help local businesses, especially competent and competitive businesses that have addressed distance buying successfully. Any business involved is going to make less money because more of the available money is going to go to the states and less will be available to go to a business.

One source suggests there are over 9500 different tax jurisdictions and states have lost over $23 billion is revenue to untaxed sales. Assuming that's true, much will hinge on what is defined as a small business that won't be required to collect and pay (much like hoe one defines rich when it comes to tax increases), much will depend on how much personal spending will decrease, and how little impact $23 billion will have on the states budgets as a whole.

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:47 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

If you don't like sales tax move to a tax free state otherwise no more tax evasion. Criminals got to love it when they whine.

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

WAYCOOL wrote:
If you don't like sales tax move to a tax free state otherwise no more tax evasion. Criminals got to love it when they whine.

The politicians need to be held accountable for how they spend the people’s monies as it is before they go demanding more…

Greedy S.O.B.s….
IMHO…
Jefferson

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:42 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Internet sales tax comes to vote this week

Craig Gillette wrote:
much will hinge on what is defined as a small business that won't be required to collect and pay

I think right now the way it's written is that only those businesses with over a million in annual sales will be required to collect the tax.

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:55 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.