FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Eldorado Canyon

Colorado CJ
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eldorado Canyon

I went for a hike today up into Eldorado Canyon. This canyon is located just south of Boulder, CO and has some nice trails and a whole lot of rock climbing areas if you are into that. An old hotel was built up in the canyon in 1908 (really don't know how they built it where they did), but it burned down in 1912. The foundations and cooking hearth are still there and you can find broken pieces of porcelain dishes still around.

The weather was overcast for most of the day, so I had to get the shots as the opportunity arose, waiting for breaks in the clouds.

Shot with my D600, 50mm F1.8G lens and Series-E 28mm F2.8 lens.

Eldorado-Canyon-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Eldorado-Canyon-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Eldorado-Canyon-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Eldorado-Canyon-4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eldorado Canyon

Beautiful shots and grand clarity. The first two take on a 3D look. Well done considering the harsh light...

Todd

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Colorado CJ
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eldorado Canyon

Todd wrote:
Beautiful shots and grand clarity. The first two take on a 3D look. Well done considering the harsh light...

Todd

Thanks. It is taking a little while to get used to the Capture NX2 software. I am used to using Adobe's Camera RAW since I come from using Pentax DLSRS. It doesn't work well on Nikon files though so I am having to relearn a new system.

They are getting close to the clarity of my K20D images, just a little more tweaking left.

Apr 22, 2013 at 09:17 AM
branhamj

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eldorado Canyon

The lighting in the first one is excellent

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:37 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eldorado Canyon

Colorado CJ wrote:
Thanks. It is taking a little while to get used to the Capture NX2 software. I am used to using Adobe's Camera RAW since I come from using Pentax DLSRS. It doesn't work well on Nikon files though so I am having to relearn a new system.

They are getting close to the clarity of my K20D images, just a little more tweaking left.

Hey CJ,

I like #1 the best here.

But as for Nikon Capture NX2 software. That is all I have used for years, but when I got the D800 I ended up switching to using ACR instead. First because ACR handled the high iso files better, and then after a few months I got used to how much better ACR was in dealing with increasing the DR of the shots. With NX2, DLighting is Nikons way of increasing the DR. But with areas of high contrast, for example a dark cliff with a brighter sunset sky behind it, NX2 will create a very distinctive halo along the contrast edges. With ACR, you can pull the shadow detail to 100% and you can turn the Whites to 100% and there are NO halo's. ACR does such a better job that I haven't touched NX2 in over a year...

Of course, what ever works best for you is great, but since I had the complete opposite experience that you did, I thought I would share my take on it.

Jim

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:09 AM
Jcarlson
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eldorado Canyon

Very nice shots. Eldo brings back great memories.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:58 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.