Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon Version III TCs and microadjustment -- is this normal?

howard
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Version III TCs and microadjustment -- is this normal?

Hi,

I have the 300 IS II lens and both the 1.4x and 2x TCs, both version III. I only acquired the 1.4x recently. I also have a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC.

On my 50D, with the bare lens, or the 2x TC, or the Kenko 1.4x TC, no microadjustment is needed.

With the 1.4x TC though, I found out that I need +8 microadjustment to get satisfactory results.

I only got the Canon 1.4x TC III a couple of days ago. I am wondering if the TC is mis-calibrated. I can exchange it for a new one, or send back to Canon for calibration, or, I can just live with the microadjustment.

I understand that this is what microadjustment is for; but it is a bit strange that no MA is needed for all other combinations so it seems to pinpoint the issue to the Canon 1.4x TC. And, since it is newly acquired, if there is any action to be taken, it should be taken now .. hence my question.

Thanks in advance,
Howard

Apr 21, 2013 at 07:47 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Version III TCs and microadjustment -- is this normal?

I don't think +8 is excessive, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you were to take the lenses and TCs that need no MA and put them on a different body you might find that they need MA, and the 1.4 doesn't; it's just normal manufacturing tolerances at work.

On the other hand, if it's new you could take it back and the replacement might not need MA (or not as much). It's not unreasonable to want new gear to be as good as possible. (Of course, the new one could be even worse.)

Apr 21, 2013 at 08:14 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Version III TCs and microadjustment -- is this normal?

My bare 300 IS II needs no adjustments with my 5D3. I've had two 2xTCIII's, one needed +8 & the other needed +3. My 70-200 IS2 had similar results.

I'd say its probably normal to apply a little micro adjustment when adding a TC and as long as the micro adjustment is consistent (near focus & infinity) & within a +/- 12 MA, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Apr 21, 2013 at 08:18 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Version III TCs and microadjustment -- is this normal?

howard wrote:
Hi,

I have the 300 IS II lens and both the 1.4x and 2x TCs, both version III. I only acquired the 1.4x recently. I also have a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC.

On my 50D, with the bare lens, or the 2x TC, or the Kenko 1.4x TC, no microadjustment is needed.

With the 1.4x TC though, I found out that I need +8 microadjustment to get satisfactory results.

I only got the Canon 1.4x TC III a couple of days ago. I am wondering if the TC is mis-calibrated. I can exchange it for a new one, or send back to Canon
...Show more

I find it strange that no MFA is needed for any of the many other combinations!
(seriously, barely any combo I've ever tried, any lens, any body, has been best at 0, I think only once so far ever)

Apr 21, 2013 at 08:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Version III TCs and microadjustment -- is this normal?

Most of my AFMA results for the 1DX, 1DIV, and 5DII are zero. I posted my results here,

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1197146/0#11415313

In general, my 1.4x III is within +/- 1 adjustment steps from the bare lens. I don't know what this means for your Extender. I'd try to swap it for another one, if it was easy to do. I don't know if Canon could do much for you, because it's well-within 'specs'.

Apr 22, 2013 at 05:53 AM
Lan11
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Version III TCs and microadjustment -- is this normal?

For howard (addendum)
Unless you're forced to ľA in the access of +/-20, I wouldn't worry about it. If you try the lens/with TC on a different body you'll find they need different settings.
Make sure your ľA tests are done for at least 50x the lens focal length or either better - for a distance which you most often use. The ľA for a zoom is even more tricky.

Apr 22, 2013 at 08:00 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Version III TCs and microadjustment -- is this normal?

Lensrentals.com has an excellent article on why cameras/lens need micro adjustments. Basically they state that there is a normal tolerance +-for each of the camera mount and lens mount. eg Sometimes the camera is +3 and the lens is minus 3 and they are just right together because of normal variation.

So its not a big deal to have a micro adjustment.

And its likely over time your body mount will change (wear/bending) so you should check it again each year.

However, if you have lots of bodies and 1.4x, 2x etc and none of them require a miccro adjustment it suggests the 1.4x is a bit more out of tolerance. Its unlikely that they would all be cancelling. Again you could just live with it - no big deal, but if you buy another camera, you will have to redo it.

Personally I would just live with it and adjust it and make note of it but switching it out might make it unecessary. You might find one with less microadjustment and some other problem althought its a pretty simple lens so this should not be true.

More importantly - is the focus consistent on left and right and top and bottom. This is not adjustable. And is it consistent because not consistent suggests some problem.

Apr 23, 2013 at 08:11 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.