Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

Ben -- My experience with filters saving the lens hasn't been so dramatic. Usually it is a matter of the filter edge taking a knock that would have put a ding in the filter ring, or a glancing scratch from a piece of metal or branch I didn't see. I've never actually dropped a lens (although I've dropped a few filters, trying to put them on -- no serious damage to date).

Lens hoods are nice, but often they are too big to use for event photography, and many times cast a shadow from flash -- depends of course, but I'm thinking about my 24-70L original and 28-300L IS in particular. Most event work I do without hood, but always with filter.

Apr 22, 2013 at 06:14 PM
KFG1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

1 - Do you or don't you use filters? - I regularly use ND and GND filters and occasionally a CPL
2 - What brands do you recommend? - Singh Ray, Lee, B&W
3 - With regards to a CPL, what brand is the best? - B&W or Singh Ray
4 - Am I nuts for not wanting to use a protective filter? - No, but I prefer a lens hood myself.

Apr 22, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Access
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

I see, then perhaps you have a better or more realistic view than most (if it comes from working in a camera shop). But I think just about everyone is already set in their ways on this issue one way or the other.

Apr 22, 2013 at 06:31 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

Cadaver wrote:
I've never used a protective filter in my life. To protect my lenses, I always use a lens hood. I do however, use circular polarizers. I've had great luck with B&W CPs.

+1 as well. I don't use B&W CPL's, I use Marumi Super DHG CPL's.

Apr 22, 2013 at 07:11 PM
ebiggs
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

I use protective filters on all my lens'. I use the filter made by the same company that made the lens. A Canon filter on a "L", a Sigma filter on a Sigma EX,............etc.
Otherwise I use Photo Shop CS6.

Apr 23, 2013 at 09:35 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

StillFingerz wrote:
So my questions to the masses/masters here on FM...
1 - Do you or don't you use filters?

I use when needed CPL,ND,vari-ND and when I am shooting IR and UV light only

2 - What brands do you recommend?

B+W,Heliopan,Singh-Ray and Lee 4x6, though the odd occasion I will use a special filter such as Baeder UG-11XX for UV photography. The odd occasion I will break out the Kodak Wrattens when shooting full spectrum to get a differing look.

3 - With regards to a CPL, what brand is the best?

There are many diiffering opionions as to what is best, it comes down to each persons individual preference. I mainly use B+W KSM, Singh Ray (The Trio, Warming and Blue-Gold), and a 105mm B+W on my Lee FIlter system.

4 - Am I nuts for not wanting to use a protective filter?

No each for their own.

Any thoughts, help would be greatly appreciated...
Jerry

If conditions are detrimental to a lens I will put a filter on for protection, but if not required I will do as mention as above or have the hood attached. I also always carry a cleaning cloth with me to wipe the front of lens if needed.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

Use a CPL - not very often, but on some occasions it is indispensable. Also use a 9-stop ND, primarily for producing very long exposures of certain subjects.

I don't have much to add to the brand discussion. There are a number of them that are excellent, and buying roughly equivalent models from one manufacturer or another isn't going to make a significant difference. (In most cases, the function difference from buying the most expensive model turns out to be meaningless. As with so many thing, a high quality filter that is not necessarily the most expensive is frequently the best choice.)

I never use protective filters. I regularly shoot at the ocean, in the desert, in light snow and rain, and in wind. Lens glass is tough stuff and no more difficult to clean than a filter. Adding such a filter cannot improve images and there are ways in which it can diminish IQ, so I don't go there. (I can barely imagine a few odd situations in which I might consider one.) Oh, I wrote about this issue here: http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2007/12/27/uv-filter-or-not

Dan

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

1: I use additional filters when I need them. The IR cut, and AA filter I use most times. The Bayer pattern filter I use in color cameras, and happy without it in monochrome cameras.
2: For example Edmund Optics Techspec BK7 windows
3: For example Edmund Optics Techspec linear polarizer filter - but max avialable 2"
But I have to admit I use only some normal B&W, Hoya and such filters for my hobby photography.
4: No.

Edmund Optics is very popular and have their optical data and prices for these filters easy accessible, but there are other companies that produce such filters, or even better ones.
For example you could not find the surface accuracy (most times measured in Lambda = wavelengths) for photographic filters. I have asked some manufacturers, they donīt tell this.
But this is a crucial factor for image quality, especially with longer faster lenses. Read a bit about filters and image quality with Canon EF 100-400 :-) Or about strange bokeh with long lenses used with filters.

I am the optics engineer at a camera manufacturing company. There I have to deal a lot with filters - we have filters special made for us. Because this I know how to specify filters, and deal a lot with filter manufacturers.

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:08 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

venkidesh Iyer wrote:
The lenstip testing shows that Hoya filters have the best quality and blocks less light and have less impact on IQ. B+W while good doesnt seem to live up to their pricing in the lenstip testing

I've had two Hoya polarizers fall apart on me. Curiously, after the 2nd one broke, I googled this and found out many people had the same issue. No more Hoya for me.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:00 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

15Bit wrote:
I use clear filters very rarely, only if in an abrasive environment (which i tend to avoid as i'd like my camera kit to work for a few years yet). When i tested them a few years back i found they give problems when shooting into the sun, or with the sun just out of frame, but otherwise no noticeable impact on image quality.

Frankly I can't really see how a screw on filter offers protection from impact damage - I've yet to see a filter composed of any impact absorbing material, unless you count glass and brass as "cushioning"
...Show more

I shoot rodeos up close and rocks are spraying everywhere. I've got chipped filters that took direct hits from rocks. I believe if the filter was not in place, my lens would have a chip in it.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:06 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

StillFingerz wrote:
1 - Do you or don't you use filters?
2 - What brands do you recommend?
3 - With regards to a CPL, what brand is the best?
4 - Am I nuts for not wanting to use a protective filter?

1. I use UV filters mainly for protection, CPL and ND.
2. I have Rodenstock HR Digital UV, CPL and vario ND.
3. Don't know about other brands, but I am satisfied with Rodenstock HR.
4. I don't know, but I get a little nervous when not using a protective filter. Particularly with (ultra)wide-angles with a very large front-element.

I have a Zeiss ZF.2 15/2.8 and Rodenstock was one of the few that could deliver a high quality UV-filter at reasonable cost (149 dollar at Adorama).

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:34 PM
tuantran
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

Ben Horne wrote:
This is mostly based on my experience working at a camera shop where people come in with dropped lenses and broken filters. Often times, the broken glass scratches the front element. If they had a lens hood on, the situation would have been different.

My friend cracked his B+W and I tried to shatter it with a metal object. It was very, very hard to shatter it. I agree a hood would help but if the filter was hit so hard that it shattered so that it scratched the front element, would the damage be the same without the filter?

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:37 PM
alexdi
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

I recently dropped a middle zoom from waist-level to a rock. More accurately, it unscrewed itself from the camera body. Either it functioned for fifty shots without ever locking in place, or I somehow tripped the lens release.

The Hoya Pro1 UV filter was dented. The lens was otherwise unharmed. Contrast another lens I dropped long ago, this one during an event shoot. That lens has a permanently damaged filter thread that's probably knocked $150 off the resale value. The filter would have cost $35.

So yes, I'd say a filter is worth having.

Apr 23, 2013 at 06:02 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

1 - Yes
2 - BW
3 - BW
4 - Up to you, I am most of the time.

Apr 23, 2013 at 06:08 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

1 - Do you or don't you use filters? - Definitely.
2 - What brands do you recommend? - After using and testing many only B&W get on my lenses and they live there.
3 - With regards to a CPL, what brand is the best? - B&W
4 - Am I nuts for not wanting to use a protective filter? - Yes-B@W degrades IQ in no way is possible to detect and for piece of mind and actual protection of the original lens coatings is more than worth it.

Apr 23, 2013 at 06:47 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.