New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Bruised Alts ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bruised Alts ...

Dinged filter threads, scratched barrels, etc. @ non-optical impact. Keep em', sell 'em or fix em' ... what's your take on "well used" alt gear?

Apr 21, 2013 at 04:33 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bruised Alts ...

I generally shoot for the best piece of equipment I can for the going price. However, if I'm using it as a general use lens (mainly my longer lenses) I'll take working and well worn.

I don't do haze, fungus, non-functioning items. I'm a tinkerer, but not with lenses.

Apr 21, 2013 at 04:41 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bruised Alts ...

I try and fix the dinged filter threads, then the lens can be serviced if it needs it, on an expensive & rare lens I may get a pro to fix it, or leave it as is(if it's working fine).
I prefer lenses with clean optics since that's what produces the image, and lens bodies that show some signs that they have been used, then I'm not worrying about paint wearing off a pristine copy and can get out and use it, the main reason to buy it(for me at least).

Apr 21, 2013 at 04:50 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bruised Alts ...

How many guys drive a car that is perfectly maintained, always use synthetic oil, high octane fuel, perfect service record - but the body is dinged up and dirty, seats torn, ashtray full of buts, headlights out, broken turn indicator?

Where there's smoke there's generally fire. Lens are made down to a weight as much as up to a strength of construction, so caveat emptor. Most damage will have ramifications and consequences for your photography - dings come from knocks that may dislodge elements, loose focus rings/ worn helicoils do nothing for focus accuracy, abrasion on element faces can't help fine detail, worn mounts won't improve sensor-lens axial alignment. This is all *damage* - a few marks or dulled surfaces, focus ring that is easy to turn, bit of dust - different story.

To continue the auto metaphor, your mileage will probably not vary much. It's hard enough buying a non-decentred lens new. But you can of course post images on FM and diss this well reputed lens you just bought...what a dog, can't see what the fuss is about, it's no better than my XYZ lens!

So test well, not all work needs the best quality depending on style...and sell with full disclosure, put yourself in the shoes of the buyer. Also, lots of folks are in the grip of lens turnover fever, if you are one it doesn't matter much, just move it along...but if you want good lenses for dependable results over years..

Apr 21, 2013 at 07:50 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bruised Alts ...

these are the lenses i buy at a quarter the going price and keep.

in a rare moment of agreement with ken rockwell, my experience has been that when i have multiple copies of a lens it's the beat up and dinged one that outperforms the pristine one. usually the heavily used lenses are heavily used for a reason. i would never expect the same to be true of AF lenses since there's more to break, and i doubt it's true as a general rule, but it seems to apply a lot more often then it should.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bruised Alts ...

It depends on where the damage is and how much I trust the seller to stand behind a return policy, but dings, paint loss, and bent filter rings have never been enough to turn me off a bargain for manual focus lenses. I was more careful when buying AF lenses, and tended to gravitate toward the bag and shelf queens people were letting go for lack of use.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bruised Alts ...

I almost prefer such, less worries - seems like most of my top lenses were stolen recently. I have already replaced some by getting a repairable Rokkor 100/2 and well used yellowed Super Takumar 50/1.4

Apr 22, 2013 at 03:24 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bruised Alts ...

I don't buy damaged gear due to the concern that if it was dropped the optics could be misaligned. Pretty much everything I buy is online so there is always the loss in shipping for a return.
I dropped a C/Y 35-70 Vario Sonnar many years ago, probably one of the last few new ones available and one of my prized lenses at the time. Huge ding on the filter ring and barrel, but the optics are still flawless as is the zoom and focus function. Zeiss told me the part or repair would be $600 so I still have it (as well as a another used one) and a Zeiss push on cap fits it perfects. The dinged one knocks about in my Nex bag when I want to take a 35-70.

Mike

Apr 22, 2013 at 04:26 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bruised Alts ...

Many of my lenses are well used, or even partly bought with defects - like fungus on the back lens of my FD 24/1.4 or inside the FD 300mm f/2.8. First one has not harmed the lens surface, second one did. On my FD 400mm f/2.8 the mount, hood and portrait/landscape switch were defective and some old camo tape was on the outside - but the lens was relative cheap.
I am very happt to get "well used" lenses very cheap.
But for sure it is even more fun to get pristine lenses for much less han normal Ebay going price :-) Those pristine lenses are often Zeiss lenses - probably not used very often, or only very carefully. The damaged or well used lenses are most likely pro equipment.

I love to know even the inside of many of my lenses.

Apr 22, 2013 at 05:01 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.