Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · HS Freshmen

Sodonn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Freshmen

Just felt like shooting yesterday, so grabbed my stepdaughter ( the blonde ) and her friend and went out and had a blast. Both are 9th graders. C&C welcome.

Apr 21, 2013 at 08:13 PM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Freshmen

Pretty girls...nice shots

Greg

Apr 21, 2013 at 09:27 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Freshmen

Great shots, these freshmen look more like the seniors at my school haha.

Apr 22, 2013 at 02:32 AM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Freshmen

gome1122 wrote:
Great shots, these freshmen look more like the seniors at my school haha.

I know.....tell me about it! Gotta start brushing up on my nun chuck skills soon!

Apr 22, 2013 at 02:54 AM
FredVf
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Freshmen

Great shots! I would love to hear about your lighting set-up, especially #4 and #3.

Did you use only available light on the rest?

Thanks,

Fred

Apr 22, 2013 at 03:01 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Freshmen

the lighting looks good - nice shots

Apr 22, 2013 at 09:44 AM

Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Freshmen

1. Looks pretty good. Hand is cut off just a little bit. Good natural pose that doesn't look too serious/dramatic, which sometimes is problematic with serious shots. Nice.

2. She's more off-center than I would like and I am not sure that she should be looking to the ground that intensely (looks like she just stepped in mud). Consider also shooting lower or higher to avoid the treeline intersecting her face (she will stand out more against solid colors).

3. A tad dark but it's a good, natural pose. Maybe a strange crop on her legs.

4. Great lighting. Nice and subtle but still gives some depth and separation.

5. Ideally I'd like to see her facing into the frame. Might be a tad warm. Still a good shot.

Apr 22, 2013 at 01:29 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Freshmen

Very nice set. Here are some nits to think about.

#1 & #2 Head through the horizon is not best.

#3 No head through the horizon here, but if you crop out the sky, you get a stronger image. Try it just by scrolling the picture above.

#4 She really stands out well against that background. More than the other shots. The expression is not the greatest, however. This is another shot that doesn't need the sky.

#5 Nice expression here. I'd remove the OOF stuff in the bottom right corner and a little over her head. But that's minor.

Again, nice work.

Apr 22, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Freshmen

You've done a very, very good job at making these girls mature, without sexualizing them or making them seem like adults. This is NOT an easy task, and something I think photographers definitely struggle with.

Apr 22, 2013 at 07:12 PM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HS Freshmen

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment everyone.
As for shot #1 I was well aware of the horizon line but didnt have anything to stand on and that was literally one of the first test shots using just ambient light. I just really liked the look she nailed on that shot and it won over the lousy horizon through the head.

As for the lighting...

#1 & #2 were just using ambient light....didnt care for it as it was a really bad grey overcast day.
#3 was one speedlite in a 42" umbrella softbox set on manual power ( cant recall what power or zoom I had it set to)
#4 and #5 was one speedlite in a 42" softbox and one naked flash for rim ( again cant recall their settings )

Prettym1k3 wrote:
You've done a very, very good job at making these girls mature, without sexualizing them or making them seem like adults. This is NOT an easy task, and something I think photographers definitely struggle with.

Thank you. I try really hard to keep the posing toned down dealing with this age group. I'm glad if anything that showed through.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:34 AM
cmillc22
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HS Freshmen

agree with Jim about cropping out the sky in #3 and 4. overall nice set and you said 9th graders?? forget the nun chucks and get a shotgun

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:01 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password