Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Capture One Users - Nvidia or AMD Graphics?

15Bit
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Capture One Users - Nvidia or AMD Graphics?

Just upgraded my Capture One to V7 (from 5) and i'm looking at the OpenCL acceleration options. Currently i use the onboard Intel HD4000 graphics on my i5, but i'm quite willing to pay for a separate Graphics card if the performance is worth it. Unfortunately i'm struggling to find decent resources on which to base the decision. Phase One don't really give a lot of info about the relative merits of different GFX card models. The Phase One forums are a bit sparse also, though there is mention of a limited set of benchmarks which show AMD to have the performance edge. This only covers file export though and doesn't mention anything about other aspects of using the software.

So the question is, does anyone have experience of how current AMD and Nvidia cards perform, both in terms of speed and reliability (i.e. graphics glitches etc)? And is it worth even upgrading from the onboard video i use now?

Apr 21, 2013 at 03:03 PM
blob loblaw
• •
p.1 #2 · Capture One Users - Nvidia or AMD Graphics?

if you are upgrading from the onboard just because of C1Pro then I don't think it's worth it even if you have the money.

Find some other reason to upgrade because it's not enough to justify extra power consumption, heat in the case and cost of the card.

In my case I had multiple different reasons: resolve, premiere, aftereffects, c1pro, gaming in that order and because of Resolve I had to get an Nvidia.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:50 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Capture One Users - Nvidia or AMD Graphics?

It would be just for C1, and Lightroom if Adobe ever adds GFX acceleration. I've pretty much given up games nowadays.

Apr 22, 2013 at 03:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Capture One Users - Nvidia or AMD Graphics?

when I built a machine a few weeks ago, I got the GTX450 (? mid-range $140) although I could have used the mobo onboard HD4000. I dont think most of the photography apps come close to taxing the video.

Apr 22, 2013 at 04:03 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Capture One Users - Nvidia or AMD Graphics?

Some filters in Photoshop (the new creative blurs and Liquify mostly) are faster with a dedicated card over the HD4000. These are open gl and open cl driven so if C!pro
uses Open CL then you may see a improvement but it seems you don't have to spend a great deal of money. A GTX650 or a Radeon 7750 around a $100 -$130 should do it.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-161/

Apr 22, 2013 at 04:32 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Capture One Users - Nvidia or AMD Graphics?

does it matter? i've seen some great work produced using GIMP alone.

Apr 22, 2013 at 04:51 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password