Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Weekly Assignment 550: Architecture - Help

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Weekly Assignment 550: Architecture - Help

Do any of these versions "Grab" you, hold you, or are they all losers?? Any and all comments welcome & appreciated. Thank you, Jim

HDR

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    35mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

HDR B/W

B/W

Solarized

Apr 21, 2013 at 09:48 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Weekly Assignment 550: Architecture - Help

Hi Jim.
Not too excited by the comp. I like the light through the arches and the shadowplay, but I dont like the split down the middle position of the wall. The leading lines are strong but dont lead anywhere.
Capitalizing on the light/shadow/repetitive elements works best for me in the first and last versions. Most would probably prefer the first with beautiful color.
I like the last because if further highlights the strongest elements of the comp. However, I think it needs a bit of tune up. Some grain/noise reduction in the sky, removal of artifacts along the top wall/sky edges. This one does grab me.
Good luck.
Scott

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Weekly Assignment 550: Architecture - Help

sbeme wrote:
Hi Jim.
Not too excited by the comp. I like the light through the arches and the shadowplay, but I dont like the split down the middle position of the wall. The leading lines are strong but dont lead anywhere.
Capitalizing on the light/shadow/repetitive elements works best for me in the first and last versions. Most would probably prefer the first with beautiful color.
I like the last because if further highlights the strongest elements of the comp. However, I think it needs a bit of tune up. Some grain/noise reduction in the sky, removal of artifacts along the top wall/sky edges. This
...Show more

Thanks Scott. This is my wife preference, but I agree with you. Thanks, Jim

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Weekly Assignment 550: Architecture - Help

When a photo has a strong leading line inviting my eye to follow I like to find something interesting at the end of the end of the path. That's what I find lacking in this one.

The message here seems to be the repeating pattern of arches but the acute capture angle and the how it creates such a compelling line down the wall pulls me past the arches to look for what is at the end. I get there and don't find anything.

A better way to deliver the message of the repeating arches might have been to move the POV to the left and capture them at a more gradual angle in a horizontal format (same orientation as the leading line) cropping out the roof and opening on the left. WIth nothing in the photo except the arches with more of them seen the viewer would be more likely to move back and forth across the wall horizontally several times vs. one trip down the wall to the less interesting focal point you created, probably unintentionally, with the composition.

I often suggest composing by first deciding on a focal point and composing around it. This is the type of photo where there isn't a single focal point and you want the viewer to go back and forth on the leading line not down and out. So in this case when composing you'd want to look for what be mistaken for a focal point at the end of a leading line.

Composing a shot like the Golden Gate Bridge is similar. The goal would be for the viewer to feel like they are moving back and forth across the bride repeatedly to take in all the details, more on each trip back and forth, rather than fixating on any one spot.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:25 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Weekly Assignment 550: Architecture - Help

cgardner wrote:
When a photo has a strong leading line inviting my eye to follow I like to find something interesting at the end of the end of the path. That's what I find lacking in this one.

The message here seems to be the repeating pattern of arches but the acute capture angle and the how it creates such a compelling line down the wall pulls me past the arches to look for what is at the end. I get there and don't find anything.

A better way to deliver the message of the repeating arches might have been to move the
...Show more

Thanks Chuck. I knew something was there but I could not figure out how to get it. Next time I will try your method. Jim

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Weekly Assignment 550: Architecture - Help

Jim,

If I might add some confusion? My preference is #3 in that going from dark to light in the archway walls leads the eye into the image. However, the eye is lands on whatever is framed by the portico - looks like power poles, a truck and other visual clutter. In #4, the texture grabs attention diluting the influence of the leading line and the stark contrast, for me, keeps me from looking beyond the structure. Interesting the visual effect of what seems to be inverting #3.

All that said, I still prefer the aesthetic of #3 wishing the clutter were not there. Now what best conveys architecture? The voters must decide...

Don't image this cleared up much,

but my 2,

Bob

Where all of this is coming from:

While re-reading the above, I am reminded that some time ago I was advised, on this very forum, that if an image must rely on a gimmick to succeed, it is an image of little substance. I didn't appreciate the comment at the time but in reflecting back, the comment was spot-on. Certainly there are exceptions, but for me, in this case that notion differentiates between #3 and #4.

Regards,

Bob

Apr 22, 2013 at 01:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Weekly Assignment 550: Architecture - Help

Bob Jarman wrote:
Jim,

If I might add some confusion? My preference is #3 in that going from dark to light in the archway walls leads the eye into the image. However, the eye is lands on whatever is framed by the portico - looks like power poles, a truck and other visual clutter. In #4, the texture grabs attention diluting the influence of the leading line and the stark contrast, for me, keeps me from looking beyond the structure. Interesting the visual effect of what seems to be inverting #3.

All that said, I still prefer the aesthetic of #3 wishing the
...Show more

Thanks Bob, you have been very helpful. See, several people told me they were good and I said "no way".. The posters on this forum have confirmed my suspicion. And I agree that "Trix are for kids".. Jim

Apr 22, 2013 at 01:52 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Weekly Assignment 550: Architecture - Help

Diggin' the lines, tones & textures.

+1 @ Bob @ 3 vs. 4 ...

and yet, I've still headed into a bit of gimmick on this one.

Of course, the natural lighting wouldn't allow for the first column to be illuminated unless it was reflecting back off a very reflective surface, but it just had so much texture and is nicely foreshortened, it seemed a shame to leave it in the shadows. Kind of a hybrid of 2 (bright distant columns), 3 (more intense toning) & 4 (bright foremost column) with some mild steroids thrown in the mix. Needs refinement and as always, S&P to taste.

Apr 22, 2013 at 02:52 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Weekly Assignment 550: Architecture - Help

RustyBug wrote:
Diggin' the lines, tones & textures.

+1 @ Bob @ 3 vs. 4 ...

and yet, I've still headed into a bit of gimmick on this one.

Of course, the natural lighting wouldn't allow for the first column to be illuminated unless it was reflecting back off a very reflective surface, but it just had so much texture and is nicely foreshortened, it seemed a shame to leave it in the shadows. Kind of a hybrid of 2 (bright distant columns), 3 (more intense toning) & 4 (bright foremost column) with some mild steroids thrown in the mix. Needs refinement and as
...Show more

Thanks Kent.

Apr 22, 2013 at 06:12 AM
silvawispa
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Weekly Assignment 550: Architecture - Help

have a think about a square crop of the middle section.
i.e. lose the top and bottom.

Apr 23, 2013 at 09:48 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Weekly Assignment 550: Architecture - Help

silvawispa wrote:
have a think about a square crop of the middle section.
i.e. lose the top and bottom.

Worth a try. Thank you, Jim

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password