1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · 5D II expensive than 6D

PeakPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 5D II expensive than 6D

Andrew J wrote:
Canons own naming policy puts the 6D below the 5D. Higher number, lower quality.

I wouldn't say this is true. The name puts it below the 5DMIII because at the time that's the latest version of the 5D series. But because the 6D was released after the 5DMIII then it's comparing it to that, and not the predecessor.

By your logic what would they name the 6D if it's better than the 5DMII but not the MIII?

I owned the 5DII for 4 months before trading it in for the 6D and don't regret it for a second. The 5DII was a great camera, but the 6D is superior imo. The low light performance trumps that of the 5DII and I'm a low light/night shooter.

Apr 22, 2013 at 07:48 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 5D II expensive than 6D

The 6D *is* below the 5D series, it's the 'full frame rebel'.

The fact the 6D is better than the 5D2 2008 technology isn't surprising, but the 5D3 is still higher in the range than the 6D

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:30 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 5D II expensive than 6D

I wonder what a 6DMII will look like.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:34 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 5D II expensive than 6D

Shutterbug2006 wrote:

Like a 60D on steroids with essence of tobacco and a splash of Victoria Secret.

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:59 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 5D II expensive than 6D

Like an 80d on steroids...:P

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:19 AM
JORDI350D

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 5D II expensive than 6D

I have owned both and both are great cameras.
On the othar hand, Canon 6d has some new characteristics as focus, high ISO, vertical and horizontal focus points, tracking sensibility and others that makes better camera.
Also for me, is a very good small FF. Owing a 1d4 (that use for BIF and others), it is a pleasure to take 6d as relaxing camera. I sell 1ds2 for getting a 6d and I only miss from it the pot metering linked ti the focus and some other small configurable settings, for the rest I am very happy with the results. When I need better focus, speed, handling, etc... I use 1d4. For me the best combination is 1d4 and 6d, you take the best of each system. 5d3 focus and shutter lag it is not the same.

BR

Jordi

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:33 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 5D II expensive than 6D

I think they're essentially close enough to let price drive purchasing decisions for most shooters. That's how I'd roll with this.

I love my 5D2, and it pays the bills. But price being equal, I'd probably get a 6D instead: better low/high iso performance, better DR. Sold.

I'm personally interested in the smallest sized, FF-body, with the best possible IQ and DR. AF is a distant consideration, and for what I shoot (feature photojournalism mainly) just about all modern DSLRs have been good enough for at least a generation or two.

As for why I think the 5D2 can potentially cost more new old stock than the 6D: Because I bet the 5D2 costs more to produce, based on tooling from 2008 (or earlier).

Apr 23, 2013 at 07:48 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 5D II expensive than 6D

Shutterbug2006 wrote:

Have patience Padawan, the 6D is one of the newest Canon bodies and you want a 6DII already?

Apr 23, 2013 at 07:54 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 5D II expensive than 6D

PeakPhoto wrote:
I owned the 5DII for 4 months before trading it in for the 6D and don't regret it for a second. The 5DII was a great camera, but the 6D is superior imo. The low light performance trumps that of the 5DII and I'm a low light/night shooter.

For low light and night shooting the 6D actually makes sense. In case I would do more night shooting stuff, I also would consider rather going for the 6D than for the 5D MkIII. The MkII sensor algorithm has drawbacks at higher ISO numbers with some banding especially in dark red areas. Nobrainer for me since I am rarely shooting at high ISO numbers or in badly lit areas.

Apr 23, 2013 at 08:54 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 5D II expensive than 6D

I think feel in the hand may be a key factor here. My spouse tried both a 5DII and the 6D and vastly preferred the 6D. I couldn't see much difference in IQ other than the 6D seems to do shadow better. (I thought it had better focus also.) I only shoot 1D bodies so I don't have a dog in this fight As for why a vendor wants more for the 5DII, I haven't a clue. There are a lot of nice used 5DIIs around for much less than a 6D.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM
ronno
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 5D II expensive than 6D

justruss wrote:
I'd probably get a 6D instead: better low/high iso performance, better DR. Sold.

I'm personally interested in the smallest sized, FF-body, with the best possible IQ and DR.

I agree on these points.

*And the 6D's outer AF points actually work - even wide open and shooting indoors!

This plus the lack of banding even when boosting shadows to ridiculous levels are what make the 6D far better than the Mark II IMO.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Access
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 5D II expensive than 6D

I think the thing you guys are missing is that the 5d2 was revolutionary when it came out. The 6D isn't by any means revolutionary.. sure it's a good camera but it's not going to be the iconic camera that redefined the video world or anything like that. It has the high ISO improvements that everyone has come to expect with each new model, improvements to autofocus accuracy, some other nice features but nothing that is game-changing or revolutionary.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:13 PM
ronno
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 5D II expensive than 6D

@Access

I personally do not care if my camera is "revolutionary."
It is the improved performance (DR, noise, focusing...) which i am most interested in ;-)

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:37 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 5D II expensive than 6D

scottam10 wrote:
Have patience Padawan, the 6D is one of the newest Canon bodies and you want a 6DII already?

I remember when I owned the 5D and I bought the brand-new-to-market 5D2. It wasn't just an incremental upgrade. LCD, Battery life, built-in sensor cleaning, high ISO, it addressed nearly every shortcoming the 5D had - in my books.

So yeah. I own a 6D and I can only imagine what a 6D2 will look like. It can't come soon enough.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:25 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 5D II expensive than 6D

Access wrote:
I think the thing you guys are missing is that the 5d2 was revolutionary when it came out. The 6D isn't by any means revolutionary.. sure it's a good camera but it's not going to be the iconic camera that redefined the video world or anything like that. It has the high ISO improvements that everyone has come to expect with each new model, improvements to autofocus accuracy, some other nice features but nothing that is game-changing or revolutionary.

True but totally irrelevant today.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Access
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 5D II expensive than 6D

ronno wrote:
I personally do not care if my camera is "revolutionary."
It is the improved performance (DR, noise, focusing...) which i am most interested in ;-)

I don't either, but once people come to expect something, then it often is taken for granted and leads to great disappointment when it isn't or can no longer be met. This is kinda like the 'unspoken truth' or collective lore that surrounds or goes along with a product. It's like if Canon's 6D didn't improve on the high ISO of the 5d2, which is what canon customers have come to all but expect with each new iteration of a camera line.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:49 PM
jake13
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 5D II expensive than 6D

I was on the Canon refurb site yesterday. The 5D II body is $1495, and with the 20% Canon Loyalty Program discount, comes to $1196 (no sales tax in Oregon). I am a 7D shooter, but have the FF bug. Just not a serious enough bug to go crazy on letting loose of my cash. I'm not so sure I would really use the GPS on the 6D, but the Wi Fi capability is a maybe. 6D sounds like has some advantages over the 5D II such as better AF (marginally), better low light, less noise at higher ISO, faster processor. The 5D II seems a little closer to my 7D in terms of handling. I really don't do that much sports or fast action photography, although the grandkids are getting close to organized sports age. Mostly travel, family, slower moving types of subjects.

My question to the forum is this. For $1200, I can get an essentially new 5D II with a warranty. My lens inventory would probably need a 24-105 for the FF, but that would be necessary for any FF that I buy. Is the extra $400 for the 6D really worth it?

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:52 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 5D II expensive than 6D

I ordered a 6D last week. I'm selling my 5DII (not on FM).

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:05 AM
dfresh
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 5D II expensive than 6D

jake13 wrote:
I was on the Canon refurb site yesterday. The 5D II body is $1495, and with the 20% Canon Loyalty Program discount, comes to $1196 (no sales tax in Oregon).

You should call to verify the price first, initially when the 5D2 returned to be eligible for the CLP program, the discount was lowered from 20% to 10%- I'm not sure what the current status is (I'm interested to know though). I believe the 5D3 is only eligible for 15% discount from CLP.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM
the888account
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 5D II expensive than 6D

Its pretty much the scene in the UK used market as well.

I originally boiled my decision down to a 5Dii - the 6D UK model was just a touch outside my budget.

However, with good condition 5Dii's going regularly for £1100 on ebay and a new 6D via Hong Kong for £1150 (inc VAT etc), it suddenly became a no brainer to go for the 6D.

Even if you paid UK prices for a UK model, the £400 premium is worth it for the ISO, Noise, Digic 5 improvements for me.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.