Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1DX + 2X ver III and F/8--another tidbit

IdahoBob
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 1DX + 2X ver III and F/8--another tidbit

Just got my 1Dx and version III 2X extender. Attached to 600 F/4 version II but still did not focus at F/8. Firmware version was 1.1.1 which should have worked according to the Canon website. Called CPS. They advised to update firmware anyway to the new version 1.2.1. Did so and it worked like a charm. Rep said some 1.1.1 firmware still did not support the 2X extender.

Just passing it along.

Bob

Apr 21, 2013 at 01:13 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #2 · 1DX + 2X ver III and F/8--another tidbit

I have the same set up and it will focus at f/8 with 1.2.1. That is center point only, "only" means you can not move the point around, you move the subject to be focused by the center point. That is hard to get used to when one uses the joy rocker control to move the point around.
Patrick

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:01 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · 1DX + 2X ver III and F/8--another tidbit

Erm, focus/recompose doesn't work on the 1DX...guess even the pro bricks have issue with AF

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:23 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #4 · 1DX + 2X ver III and F/8--another tidbit

Yea that works , But I guess I might have mentioned when an animal fits the frame width wise, at a diagonal and is moving. I want to keep selective focus on the eye that is offset to the left or right of frame. I guess that is when I want to move the point instead of clipping the body or missing a sharp eye. I just need to remember the point won’t move and use the 1.4X instead .

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:42 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · 1DX + 2X ver III and F/8--another tidbit

StillFingerz wrote:
Erm, focus/recompose doesn't work on the 1DX...guess even the pro bricks have issue with AF

Only if you call it an AF issue, when the center Point works at f/8

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:45 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · 1DX + 2X ver III and F/8--another tidbit

I must admit I didnt know the F8 firmware fix only resulted in the middle point still working .
i guess the 5D3 will be the same .

Apr 21, 2013 at 09:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · 1DX + 2X ver III and F/8--another tidbit

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I must admit I didnt know the F8 firmware fix only resulted in the middle point still working .
i guess the 5D3 will be the same .

Well it's a bit better than with the 1D IV, in that 4 surrounding points are called into assist if you have expansion enabled, but you cannot select them. With the 1D IV only the centre point works.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #8 · 1DX + 2X ver III and F/8--another tidbit

IdahoBob wrote:
Just got my 1Dx and version III 2X extender. Attached to 600 F/4 version II but still did not focus at F/8. Firmware version was 1.1.1 which should have worked according to the Canon website. Called CPS. They advised to update firmware anyway to the new version 1.2.1. Did so and it worked like a charm. Rep said some 1.1.1 firmware still did not support the 2X extender.

Just passing it along.

Bob

I find it odd Canon would say that some versions of 1.1.1 work at f/8 while other versions of 1.1.1 do not. This would imply they release different code with the same version numbers. No reputable company would do this. My guess is the rep was just confused or speaking without full knowledge of the issue or the website has a typo.

Apr 21, 2013 at 03:04 PM
lhdvries
• • •
p.1 #9 · 1DX + 2X ver III and F/8--another tidbit

When I got my 1DX (with firmware 1.1.1 installed) It would not focus at f8.
I called CPS & they informed me that some of the 1.1.1 firmware factory installs did not take or work. He advised me to re-install the 1.1.1firmware which I did & it has worked always since then.
I have since updated to 1.2.1, but my point is that evidently there was a problem with the first cams released with the firmware 1.1.1 installed & it just required reinstalling the same firmware that wasn't working (Weird).

Leon

Apr 21, 2013 at 04:26 PM
IdahoBob
• • •
p.1 #10 · 1DX + 2X ver III and F/8--another tidbit

lhdvries wrote:
When I got my 1DX (with firmware 1.1.1 installed) It would not focus at f8.
I called CPS & they informed me that some of the 1.1.1 firmware factory installs did not take or work. He advised me to re-install the 1.1.1firmware which I did & it has worked always since then.
I have since updated to 1.2.1, but my point is that evidently there was a problem with the first cams released with the firmware 1.1.1 installed & it just required reinstalling the same firmware that wasn't working (Weird).

Leon

Leon,

You summarized it better than I did.

Bob

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:30 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · 1DX + 2X ver III and F/8--another tidbit

I hadn't realised this, but had already installed 1.2.1 as a matter of course soon after opening the box. Hope to test AF at f/8 this weekend with the 100-400 + 1.4x.

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:40 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password