Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · picture perfect yield and what body used

rogerwilco
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · picture perfect yield and what body used

Well not sure if the body makes a difference but what I would like to know is how many picture perfect shots say out of a 100 pictures taken are perfect no Lightroom or CS6 needed or any other software? My yield has gone up to about 80percent no color or wb work needed and I use the 7d and 5D2 and over the last 2 years shooting with the 5D2 my percentages have increased. Now what are your numbers and what body used?
Roger

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:51 PM
GC5
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · picture perfect yield and what body used

0. I shoot raw and the only things I don't process I trash.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM
rogerwilco
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · picture perfect yield and what body used

well i guess that can be overlooked your not really altering the pics just the format right?

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · picture perfect yield and what body used

Arbitrary figures are useless because people will have different standards as to what "picture perfect" means. Fuzzy thinking? Perhaps a better definition of terms will clarify and illuminate "percentages".

Ansel Adams said that he made about a dozen "good" photographs in an average year. I like his standards.

Some will think it simply means perfect exposure & white balance and nothing more. Others will include perfect timing, so that if they are shooting 10 fps, they might get a low percentage picture perfect. Others will include composition and might say that they try ten variations on composition and choose one at home / office. Fashion photographer poses with stray hairs? Action shifting through changing light from front-lit to side lit to back-lit?

80 %! No retouching? Using a makeup artist? No straightening horizons? No removing vignetting or adding? No correcting perspective tilt-back?

If a person's yield is 80 percent, then perhaps it is time to stretch and try more challenging material or raise standards.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · picture perfect yield and what body used

Do you mean letting a let a JPEG algorithm interpret my ideas and be happy with whatever I end up with? Heck no. It's all about control from exposure to print. I don't want some engineer's overdone JPEG default...

Besides, there is no such things as "picture perfect" as you can alway improve the image, making your vision clearer. I shoot RAW and by its very nature the user needs to add input before converting to a more portable format. 100% of my images need PP in order to conform to my vision.

RAW converters have gotten a lot better than they were in 2003 when I first started, so I actually spend less time at PP than I did back in the day. I recall 10D RAW apps were terrible and the exported TIFF needed a lot of PS work to look presentable. Now they almost always look okay at default but still benefit from levels and color tweaks. Plus I usually compress contrast so details are not lost in the highs and shadows when I print. Finally, before printing or uploading to a web gallery, I optimize sharpness for the size and display medium.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · picture perfect yield and what body used

rogerwilco wrote:
Well not sure if the body makes a difference but what I would like to know is how many picture perfect shots say out of a 100 pictures taken are perfect no Lightroom or CS6 needed or any other software? My yield has gone up to about 80percent no color or wb work needed and I use the 7d and 5D2 and over the last 2 years shooting with the 5D2 my percentages have increased. Now what are your numbers and what body used?
Roger

In one sense, none. If you shoot raw, every shot need Lightroom or ACR/Photoshop, etc.

If you are getting 80% perfect "pictures" from your photography, you are the most consistently "perfect" photographer the world has even seen. I've never met such a person before.

Dan

Apr 21, 2013 at 03:01 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · picture perfect yield and what body used

gdanmitchell wrote:
In one sense, none. If you shoot raw, every shot need Lightroom or ACR/Photoshop, etc.

If you are getting 80% perfect "pictures" from your photography, you are the most consistently "perfect" photographer the world has even seen. I've never met such a person before.

Dan

Maybe what he means is he's getting 80% of his photos to be keepers, that he enjoys.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there, good, bad, and ugly, that enjoy 80% or more of their photos.

I'm also sure that we could have a lot of those individuals enjoy their photos more, from some processing.

Apr 21, 2013 at 03:06 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · picture perfect yield and what body used

The majority of what I shoot is going over 100 MPH & have wingspans from 30 inches to as high as 12 feet. Some go over 300 MPH so any super crisp shots are rare but I get enough to feel good after each event.

Apr 21, 2013 at 03:08 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · picture perfect yield and what body used

Cicopo wrote:
The majority of what I shoot is going over 100 MPH & have wingspans from 30 inches to as high as 12 feet. Some go over 300 MPH so any super crisp shots are rare but I get enough to feel good after each event.

That's the spirit

Apr 21, 2013 at 03:11 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · picture perfect yield and what body used

How did we, do we survive shooting film...keeper rate...even with film never did pay attention to such stats...if I were a pro, getting paid for my work, it might matter a great deal.

Apr 21, 2013 at 04:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · picture perfect yield and what body used

National Geographic photographers on average shoot something like 29,000 shots per story. If a NatGeo story prints, say, 12 photos on average, that's less than 1/2000, or 0.05% "picture perfect" results, from a world's top photographer.

I'm not remotely as good as any NatGeo photographer. If I'm, say, only 1/10th as good (even this is a dubious proposition) that'd be 1/20,000 "picture perfect" shots for me. And that sounds about right. They are very few and far between.

That said, I don't expect NatGeo or similar results from my own practice. I find myself satisfied enough with maybe 1/20 to 1/50 of my shots to share them with family / friends. For more public sharing (Facebook etc), it's maybe a few out of many hundreds. As I think back on the few shots I'm really proud of, it's a few out of tens of thousands. (Hey, maybe I am as a good as one of those fancy NatGeo photographers. :-) None of my shots are without some degree of postprocessing. (Of course the same is true of JPEG's -- they're just post-processed in-camera according to user settings for sharpening, etc).

Edited on Apr 21, 2013 at 05:04 AM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2013 at 04:58 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · picture perfect yield and what body used

Monito wrote:
Arbitrary figures are useless because people will have different standards as to what "picture perfect" means. Fuzzy thinking? Perhaps a better definition of terms will clarify and illuminate "percentages".

Ansel Adams said that he made about a dozen "good" photographs in an average year. I like his standards.

Some will think it simply means perfect exposure & white balance and nothing more. Others will include perfect timing, so that if they are shooting 10 fps, they might get a low percentage picture perfect. Others will include composition and might say that they try ten variations on composition and choose one at home
...Show more
Amen
Kind of why I've taken up MF film. If I don't get it right, I have to go back and try again

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:04 AM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · picture perfect yield and what body used

In my estimation photography and golf share one thing: I don't get very much right, let alone perfect. What I do get however, is just enough good stuff to come back and try again. This makes me happy but, realistically, I'd starve as a pro golfer or photographer...

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:04 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · picture perfect yield and what body used

"Ansel Adams said that he made about a dozen "good" photographs in an average year. I like his standards."

A dozen truly excellent in a lifetime would be just fine by me, and the longer you go the harder it gets to really best yourself.

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:13 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · picture perfect yield and what body used

A dozen truly excellent in a lifetime would be just fine by me, and the longer you go the harder it gets to really best yourself.

Lucky for me then, most of my stuff sucks. I have nowhere to go but up! .

Apr 21, 2013 at 06:05 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · picture perfect yield and what body used

Shots which need no slider moving in LR / C1? None. I haven't found any shot which didn't improve at least a little with a bit of adjustment.

Shots which load up in the software and i say "Wow" ? Not many. Not many at all.

Edited on Apr 21, 2013 at 09:10 AM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2013 at 06:25 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · picture perfect yield and what body used

There was a drum scanner maker that used to tout a feature in their scanning software they called something like Scan to Print, in which the scanned files would be sent directly to the large format printer without any further intervention. They got a little upset with me when I told them I had yet to come across an image - any image that I couldn't improve in Photoshop prior to printing or any kind of output. A waste of software engineering effort, but then so is the direct print button on many digital cameras.

For the record, when I posted above, I wasn't talking about images that could be made better in post, I was referring to images in general that really stood the test of time and turn into iconic classics in their genre. Even those need a fair amount of post production, particularly when they're shot on film.

Apr 21, 2013 at 07:45 AM
rogerwilco
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · picture perfect yield and what body used

that was my thought initially how did we ever survive film lol I have shot Canon starting with the AE1 programmable and went to digital when they first put it out..I remember how difficult some shots could be with exposure and film speed etc..it was expensive if you shot a whole roll and forgot to check your settings oh well there goes more money lol now with digital you get to see what you shot and fix in post. Did digital make photog’s better ? Or just more make more photographers ? when i say picture perfect I mean just in focus white balance is correct and color pops not so much Ansel Adams or national geo. Just nice pictures that make you say wow that is good ..print to photo album..lol
I have been shooting since 1984 man photography has come a long way wouldn’t you say? Thanks for the input appreciate the thoughts..

Apr 21, 2013 at 08:53 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · picture perfect yield and what body used

I use LR or CS6 on every image I shoot. Even the ones that I belive are good.
Don't you shoot in RAW?
Don't you sharpen your pics? Would you even print a photo without sharpen it? or doing nothing at all?

Apr 21, 2013 at 09:09 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · picture perfect yield and what body used

Ive got 2 standards.

1: jpeg that looks good on my ipad (i get many of those)

2: Raw that looks great on my PC )i dont get many of those)

ive come to the point in my workflow where I was using the ipad to view so much more than my PC. but I still shoot RAW and run those raw files thru a little utiliy that gives me a jpeg really quick .these 'pegs go into the ipad for viewing/sharing with family etc. This works as long as I have my camera settings set to suit the ipad

the RAW files go into lightroom for proper work . there are very few that pop out that need NO work at all

Apr 21, 2013 at 09:55 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password