Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              9       10       end

Archive 2013 · 5d3 still overpriced...

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d3 still overpriced...

So now that I have sold my Nikon D800 and am back to my 5d2's for work as usual (Canon lenses are why I didn't keep my Nikon), I am in the market for one camera upgrade...except that the 5d3 is back up to insano-pricing again. $3300 new? $3000 refurb? omgwtf. What happened to the $2379 (still over $2500 with tax)? That just seems like total arrogant absurd overpricing to me all over again, and I refuse to pay it. I will just keep shooting 5d2's until they start pricing the 5d3 more sensibly. I mean come on, $1800 just for a frigging autofocus upgrade? Shame on Canon.

Not to beat a dead horse or anything...but gawd, really? I can buy 2 more 5d2s for less...

And don't even mention the 6d. No pc sync port (which I need for my triggers while also having on-camera fill flash), 1/180 sec sync speed OMG, omgwtf again. I can't use that. Not for work. If I was a hobbyist sure wouldn't know any better or need those key things they completely chintzed on...but I can't reasonably live without them.

/rant

Apr 20, 2013 at 07:24 PM
Beni
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d3 still overpriced...

Can we have a rant about the use of teenage text language by otherwise mature adults?

Apr 20, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Joe Garner
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d3 still overpriced...

Perhaps you simply don't need it?

Apr 20, 2013 at 07:52 PM
Larrys

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d3 still overpriced...

I must agree. The price was down to $2500 last year, and now it is back up to crazy level.

No way I am buying a camera for $3300 that I could have bought for $2500, 6 months ago.

Apr 20, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d3 still overpriced...

Dude. Have you even used a 5D3 yet? It's much much more than just an AF upgrade. Whether it's worth the money to you is for you to decide, but from what you've said, I'd say it's a freaking bargain. Can your 5D2 shoot at six frames per second for nearly forty frames before slowing down? Does it shoot at six fps at all and how long before that puny ass buffer is filled. And that AF upgrade is not only way faster and far more accurate, it focuses in almost no light at all. Instead of emphasizing what the 5D3 isn't, focus on what it is - a great bargain for the price, doing everything and more than you'll ever need. I wouldn't care HOW many 5D2's you can get for the price of anything. I'd never use one. Go rent or borrow yourself a 5D3 and you'll never look back, except on your needless rant.

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:01 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d3 still overpriced...

Cameras like the 5D III are relatively inexpensive compared to the D3X or 1Ds MK III of a few years ago.

Nobody is forcing you to buy a decent camera, much less a better one than the 5D III.

EBH

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d3 still overpriced...

Canon will drop the 5D3 price when people en masse refuse to buy at $3300. Ain't happenin' yet so you may have to wait a long time.

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:11 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d3 still overpriced...

Peter Figen wrote:
Dude. Have you even used a 5D3 yet? It's much much more than just an AF upgrade. Whether it's worth the money to you is for you to decide, but from what you've said, I'd say it's a freaking bargain. Can your 5D2 shoot at six frames per second for nearly forty frames before slowing down? Does it shoot at six fps at all and how long before that puny ass buffer is filled. And that AF upgrade is not only way faster and far more accurate, it focuses in almost no light at all. Instead of emphasizing what
...Show more

Played with a 5d3 about a month ago. I don't want 6 fps. I didn't find the AF to be faster, and if it was, it wasn't really noticeable to me. I almost never fill the buffer on my 5d2s. Problem is, the things I need it for - better AF, better shadow recovery, better high ISO - it only has one of those in any way that would make a difference for my photography. That's not worth the nearly $2000 cost to upgrade per-camera. I still get plenty (though nowhere near 100%) of in-focus images with my 5d2s that have shadow lifting roughly equal to the 5d3 and very similar high ISO output...I would pay $1000-$1200 for the upgrade perhaps, but not $1900-$2000. That's just stupid absurd to me.

I still wish I could mount Canon lenses on a Nikon camera...

Edited on Apr 20, 2013 at 08:21 PM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:15 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d3 still overpriced...

The 800/5.6 VR is also too expensive so I refuse to buy one.
I'm confident that the price will be reduced once they find out.

EBH

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:16 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d3 still overpriced...

EB-1 wrote:
The 800/5.6 VR is also too expensive so I refuse to buy one.
I'm confident that the price will be reduced once they find out.

EBH

Unlike obscenely overpriced telephoto lenses, camera bodies eventually DO come down in price...

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rickuz
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d3 still overpriced...

form wrote:
Problem is, the things I need it for - better AF, better shadow recovery, better high ISO - it only has one of those in any way that would make a difference for my photography.

It has two of those actually. AF and better high ISO.

But the 5D3 does nothing to improve IQ at lower ISO, and that is the sole reason to I skipped it. I do all my work on tripod @ ISO 100 anyway.

If you don't think the camera is worth your money, then why not skip it? It is simple really.

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:21 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d3 still overpriced...

Well, the life cycle of the cameras in that particular range is about 3 to 3.5 years. I don't know if I can stand using my 5d2's without getting something better for another 3 years, but I can definitely stand using them for another few months or perhaps another year. The point is, I'm in the market right now and do want at least one 5d3 for the autofocus, but I'm just not going to pay the Canon-insane price for it.

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:24 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d3 still overpriced...

Larrys wrote:
I must agree. The price was down to $2500 last year, and now it is back up to crazy level.

No way I am buying a camera for $3300 that I could have bought for $2500, 6 months ago.

I guess the camera is still relatively new so it's all about 'what the market will bear', if time is on your side than you can always wait. Prices always fluctuate, when you see a price online, either it is in stagnation or people are buying at that point, and dealers don't make money by sitting on product.

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:24 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5d3 still overpriced...

If you think that a camera is overpriced, the best solution is to not buy one.

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:28 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5d3 still overpriced...

form wrote:
Well, the life cycle of the cameras in that particular range is about 3 to 3.5 years. I don't know if I can stand using my 5d2's without getting something better for another 3 years, but I can definitely stand using them for another few months or perhaps another year. The point is, I'm in the market right now and do want at least one 5d3 for the autofocus, but I'm just not going to pay the Canon-insane price for it.

I doubt Canon will this time need 3 years to come up with a 5D IV (or whatever it will be named). They need to catch up with the competition in FF now, and every delay will mean losing market share. I expect a 5D IV with better sensor next year. If you can live with the AF in the 5D II, and you don't need better high ISO performance, just stick to it for now.

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:30 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5d3 still overpriced...

Peter Figen wrote:
Dude. Have you even used a 5D3 yet? It's much much more than just an AF upgrade. Whether it's worth the money to you is for you to decide, but from what you've said, I'd say it's a freaking bargain. Can your 5D2 shoot at six frames per second for nearly forty frames before slowing down? Does it shoot at six fps at all and how long before that puny ass buffer is filled. And that AF upgrade is not only way faster and far more accurate, it focuses in almost no light at all. Instead of emphasizing what
...Show more

Glad that you enjoy your new camera - nothing wrong with this. The features you mentioned above are of no or very limited interest to me - I rented the 5D III for a short period of time and decided there is no need for an upgrade. Photos looked exactly the same compared to my 5D II. The main difference which I liked was that the 5D III has a 100% viewfinder. I think for the improvements you get in the 5D III, the camera is still overpriced. $2400 sounds reasonable for a brand new 5D III, but not more than this (given that I wouldn't even buy it below this price).

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:36 PM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5d3 still overpriced...

Small investment for a professional........

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:37 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5d3 still overpriced...

1. Not overpriced for everyone who bought one. If it is overpriced for someone they don't buy it. We'd all like to get better stuff for less, but that doesn't make it overpriced.

2. Simple solution for you: Don't buy it.

form wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse or anything...but gawd, really?

3. gawd really you are beating a dead horse: your rocking horse you rode in on. Shoot it already.

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:49 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5d3 still overpriced...

Ektar25 wrote:

Or another excuse to whine about luxury toys for those who don't actually need one...

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:57 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5d3 still overpriced...

Ektar25 wrote:

About $1100/year on average, as opposed to $800/year if I had purchased it last time it was down towards $2400. That's almost 30%. Profitable businesses have to factor in expected gains, and the consistent truth that is found when using that method of evaluation is that I would make NO more money with a 5d3 than with a 5d2....making it a losing venture any way you slice it. If you include an expected sell price and deduct that from the total (say I sell my 5d3 in 3 years for...$1500), then $3300 - $1500 = $1800. However, $2400 - $1500 = $900. Literally a 50% difference in net cost-to-self...making the per-year "investment" $600 vs $300. Multiply by two (buying two 5d3 cameras for work) and of course both numbers double...liability insurance costs me about $600/year (including PPA membership). I could probably justify that for a pair of cameras...

So what it really comes down to is not an investment, but a factor of feature convenience and want/need to expand the ability to shoot certain types of framings with some reliability (i.e. outer point accuracy)...I could stick with my same-old framing of center point and focus-recompose that works for static subjects, or for $2000 I could get a camera that allows me to use outer points THEORETICALLY more often for moving subjects. Tsk...no other measurable benefits that would really improve my photos...that is why $3000+ is too much for that camera to me.

Edited on Apr 20, 2013 at 09:09 PM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2013 at 09:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password