Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Can new LEICA M be engraved?

BostonGreg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can new LEICA M be engraved?

My fiancé is getting me the new Leica M for a wedding gift. She wants to have it professionally engraved with a short message and our wedding date. Is this safe to do on the top of the camera- I know the Leica M9P and many other Leica models have logo engravings on the top. I was thinking it would be a better idea to have this done on the removable bottom plate. I'm never going to sell this camera, so I'm not asking about re-sale value or anything like that. My only question is will the camera be 100% okay if we have a small engraving on the top.

Thanks for reading and for your input!

This is the exact camera>
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893171-USA/Leica_10771_M_Digital_Camera_Silver.html

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:15 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can new LEICA M be engraved?

I am not sure if engravings can be safely done after chroming?

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:49 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can new LEICA M be engraved?

I would think the engraver she takes it to would be the best to know if it is able to be engraved without ill effects. The M isn't chrome is it? I would think they are an aluminum or brass alloy of some type. Engraving takes out very little metal or actually compresses it I believe.

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:58 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can new LEICA M be engraved?

Contact leica.

They can tell u what to do and even help u. They used to have a service for the MP and M7 to be engraved (A la Carte program). Also I've seen someone who ordered a chrome MM direct from them.

So I'm sure they can help u. It might take some time trough. Maybe buying on were u were on the list first, and sending that back to leica be faster?

Oh, and nice gift! Congrats on your wedding.

Apr 20, 2013 at 02:07 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can new LEICA M be engraved?

Leicas are typically chromed (or painted) brass. A few models were magnesium alloy, but not recently.

Apr 20, 2013 at 02:07 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can new LEICA M be engraved?

carstenw wrote:
Leicas are typically chromed (or painted) brass. A few models were magnesium alloy, but not recently.

To my knowledge only the M6 is made of magnesium, all the others use brass.

Apr 20, 2013 at 04:20 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can new LEICA M be engraved?

Not the M5 either? You could be right. Plus some other Leica cameras, like the X1, I guess?

Apr 20, 2013 at 04:25 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can new LEICA M be engraved?

Some were even Titan.

Apr 20, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can new LEICA M be engraved?

carstenw wrote:
Not the M5 either? You could be right. Plus some other Leica cameras, like the X1, I guess?

I tried to find more information about it, seems like some of the M4-P's are zink/ magnesium as well.

With leica's I meant only the M series. X1 or R's or even the CL I have no idea

Apr 21, 2013 at 04:49 AM
zoffdino

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can new LEICA M be engraved?

@BostonGreg: your best bet is to call Leica. They had an A la Carte programs for years that engraves even your signature on the top plate. If you buy the stock camera, then have it engraved by a third party, the vibration from the engraving may knock off the rangefinder mechanism and you will be looking at an expensive CLA (maybe covered by Leica though).

Give Leica New Jersey a call. Leica is small enough to care about unique requests like this.

Apr 21, 2013 at 08:33 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can new LEICA M be engraved?

Thanks Zoff. Anyone have a good name & Number direct connection over at Leica NJ? Feel free to PM and thank you everyone for your help.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.