Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Gitzo base compatibility

Chris Court
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Gitzo base compatibility

I currently have a Gitzo 1325 with a G1321 levelling base. The 'pod is a tough, stable old beast, however it's a little fiddly to set up/take down due to the lack of anti-rotation leg locks. Due to this, and contingent on wifely approval, I'm considering updating to a set of legs from the newer generation - G3541 or similar.

Can anyone tell me if my levelling base will be compatible with the newer tripod? Does the baseplate hole in the spider of the newer version have the same diameter/depth/specs as the older version?

Thanks in advance for your communal wisdom.

Chris

Edited on Apr 20, 2013 at 09:34 PM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2013 at 06:14 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Gitzo base compatibility

The current Gitzo tripods use a spider different arrangement, but if you buy a (used) older 3 series like the 3531LS, it should work. However, the Gitzo leveling base is so pointlessly heavy that I prefer the RRS leveling base with the long handle.

See this thread.

EBH

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Chris Court
• •
p.1 #3 · Gitzo base compatibility

OK, thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with the 3531, but will keep my eyes open for one.

The big benefit of the Gitzo base is that I already own it.

C

Apr 20, 2013 at 09:17 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #4 · Gitzo base compatibility

Like EB-1 I use a RRS leveling base with the long handle on a Gitzo systematic, mine is the 3541LS (four leg sections). You already own a Gitzo tripod but as you've found out the models with ALR provide a big jump in usability. The RRS leveling base is much lighter and more compact than the Gitzo base and if you tried one I think you'd want to upgrade to it too.

Apr 22, 2013 at 01:02 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password