New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Re-thinking MFT

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Re-thinking MFT

Now that I sold my 7D I can seriously think about MFT (my favourite MILC system thus far) but the other day I had a close encounter with a NEX 5R and the FDA-EV1S EVF.

The NEX 5R proved to be way too small for me to comfortably shoot over 20 minutes (my hand actually ache) so it's obvious that I need a bigger camera. If I get the OM-D I'll surely have to get the grip. Either that or to get the GH2 and give up AS.

Which brings me to the EVF issue. The FDA-EV1S has 786,432 pixels which is more than both GH2 or OM-D. I found it small and lacking in resolution. It just looked grainy. Yikes.

So, it looks like I'll have to go with the X-E1 (Fuji is my second favourite MILC system) which is bigger and has higher-res EVF (how much 2.36M is in pixels?). Best is maybe the X-P1 (bigger and has OVF!) but I heard that its AF is worse than the X-E1 and really hate MF.

If I get the Fuji my lenses will probably be 35/1.4 and 14/2.8.

Thoughts?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Re-thinking MFT

The E-M5 (OM-D) has better AF and currently the better lens selection that the X-E1, which is ahead of the X-Pro 1. If you want to go Fuji, I would get the X-E1, or wait for the X-Pro 2. Both Fujis have better image quality than the Olympus. All are great cameras, with nice lens selections.

What are your priorities?

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Re-thinking MFT

From what I have seen, all cameras will satisfy me WRT IQ so that is out. Thus my priorities are: comfortable to shoot (bigger is better), great AF and great EVF. Basically, both OM-D (+ grip) and GH2 wins in the first two categories but the Fuji seems to be winning in the third. Hence my dilemma.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Re-thinking MFT

The EVF on the OM-D is better than the X-E1's. the resolution difference is negligible, and the the OM-Ds doesn't get laggy in low light, and X-E1's does. The Oly EVF is also brighter, which helps in daylight use.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM
perost

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Re-thinking MFT

The X-E1 EVF uses a 2.36M dot OLED panel where each pixel uses three dots, so the resolution is 1024x768. It's most likely the same panel that Sony uses in the FDA-EV1S, NEX6/7 and various SLTs. So if you didn't like the FDA-EV1S you probably won't like the X-E1 EVF either since they're probably the same. The upcoming NEX-7N is rumoured to have a 3.8M dot EVF, so that might be something to keep your eyes on.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Re-thinking MFT

perost wrote:
The X-E1 EVF uses a 2.36M dot OLED panel where each pixel uses three dots, so the resolution is 1024x768. It's most likely the same panel that Sony uses in the FDA-EV1S, NEX6/7 and various SLTs. So if you didn't like the FDA-EV1S you probably won't like the X-E1 EVF either since they're probably the same. The upcoming NEX-7N is rumoured to have a 3.8M dot EVF, so that might be something to keep your eyes on.

As of now, I don't really like the NEX system. Also, when I tried the 5R with 19/2.8 or 35/1.8 it was fine but when I mounted the 50/1.8 OSS it felt unbalanced. The 7n will be better but not that much better. The X-E1 is already bigger than the 7 and for me, bigger is better.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:49 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Re-thinking MFT

I actually prefer the OM-D's EVF over the X-E1's. It's less laggy and seems brighter. But I prefer the X-E1's user experience. For example, you can see a histogram and level at the same time in the Fuji EVF. Olympus still doesn't do that. You can also review images in the EVF easily.

Edited on Apr 20, 2013 at 01:51 PM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:49 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Re-thinking MFT

Jman13 wrote:
The EVF on the OM-D is better than the X-E1's. the resolution difference is negligible, and the the OM-Ds doesn't get laggy in low light, and X-E1's does. The Oly EVF is also brighter, which helps in daylight use.

Thanks Jordan, always good to hear from someone with hands-on experience. I guess I'm back to the MFT track.

itai195 wrote:
I actually prefer the OM-D's EVF over the X-E1's. It's less laggy and seems brighter.

Great.

itai195 wrote:
But I prefer the X-E1's user experience. For example, you can see a histogram and level at the same time in the Fuji EVF. Olympus still doesn't do that. You can also review images in the EVF easily.

If I'm getting into a system, I can't expect everything to be better than other systems. Now, if the XP2 was on the horizon with super quick AF...

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:51 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Re-thinking MFT

I would wait to see what the XP-1 & 7N bring to the table.

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:38 PM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Re-thinking MFT

XE-1 and X-Pro1 have the same focus speed.

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:52 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Re-thinking MFT

I can't find separate mention of any 'XP-1' so I am figuring the acronym is shorthand for 'X-Pro1'.

Ctein struggles with this X-Pro1 in any case, it seem they made some elementary mistakes in interface design:

'So, let's summarize: an eye level viewfinder that doesn't really work for me; no way to check the quality of the exposure; no way to zoom in on the results except to capture files I don't really need. Now you understand why I hate this camera.

I hate it so much that if someone offered one to me for free, I am not sure I would take it; there's a good chance it would sit on my shelf almost never getting used.'

Much more on his usability woes here:
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/07/x-pro1-sucks.html

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:59 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Re-thinking MFT

That report is from July, and I have to say, on original firmware, the X-Pro 1 was massively flawed. It's still somewhat flawed, but a lot better. In original firmware, when using the EVF or the rear screen, autofocus would cause the live view feed to completely freeze until it acquired focus. It made it essentially unusable. While I haven't used an XP1 on more updated firmware, from what I understand, firmware v2.0 brought the AF routines to the same level as the X-E1. Not perfect, but far better than what it originally shipped with. A lot of other issues have been fixed as well.

Apr 21, 2013 at 06:35 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Re-thinking MFT

LightShow wrote:
I would wait to see what the XP-1 & 7N bring to the table.

As I said above, I'm not much into the NEX system nut the XP2 (I guess you meant that, right?) could really be a winner card.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 22, 2013 at 09:52 AM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Re-thinking MFT

carstenw wrote:
The E-M5 (OM-D) has better AF and currently the better lens selection that the X-E1, which is ahead of the X-Pro 1. If you want to go Fuji, I would get the X-E1, or wait for the X-Pro 2. Both Fujis have better image quality than the Olympus. All are great cameras, with nice lens selections.

What are your priorities?

I've been searching for images or tests comparing the image qualities of the E-M5 and the X-E1.

Have you been able to come up with any hard evidence that indicates which is the best?

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Re-thinking MFT

Define 'best.'

Image quality wise, the Fuji produces cleaner files with deeper color depth and probably slightly better dynamic range. I think the files from the OM-D have a little more detail in them. The Fuji has about a 1-stop ISO advantage and cleaner base ISO.

I did a quick ISO test here: http://admiringlight.com/blog/mirrorless-battle-om-d-vs-gh3-vs-x-e1/

As far as handling goes, the X-E1 is easier to pick up and shoot with due to the simple and effective controls (aperture ring, shutter speed dial, EC dial, etc).

The OM-D stomps the X-E1 in overall responsiveness. The AF is significantly faster, especially in low light, and the OM-D will lock instantly on targets that the X-E1 will simply fail at in dim light. Shutter lag is lower on the OM-D, and the viewfinder is better in very bright light as well as very dim light. In overcast situations or bright indoors with a good lens, the X-E1 finder is a little better. Overall, I prefer the OM-D finder.

The X-E1 has overall better image quality I'd say. As a full camera and system, the OM-D is the stronger candidate. There are some big holes in the X-E1 operation as it fits with a modern camera system, and there are only really minor things with the OM-D.

I own both and use both regularly, and if I could only keep one, it would be the OM-D without a second thought.

My full reviews of both:

OM-D: http://admiringlight.com/blog/olympus-om-d-e-m5-review/
X-E1: http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-fujifilm-x-e1/

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Re-thinking MFT

So well written I want to cry.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Re-thinking MFT

Hi Yakim,

My wife has an OM-D and I use it with the half grip sometimes and I find it is big enough even though I have very large hands. I think you might also want to look at the GH3 too. It doesn't have sensor based stabilization, but it is a bigger camera. As far as the EVF on the OM-D, I find it to be very good. This is a bit of a matter of taste, but in shopping for cameras, both my wife and I found the lack of lag and the brightness of the OM-D to trump the higher resolution of the X-E1 and the NEX 6. I think you will like the OM-D a lot, but you might like the GH3 even better. I think Jordan had a GH3 and perhaps still does, so maybe he will chime in.

Apr 22, 2013 at 03:40 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Re-thinking MFT

If the OM-D is really that much faster/better in operation than the Fuji's, BOY am I glad I haven't (yet) wasted my time with the Fuji options.

Apr 22, 2013 at 03:55 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Re-thinking MFT

In what way do you find the OM-D lagging? Aside from continuous AF (where it's admittedly not great), the single point AF and such is faster than any DSLR I've ever owned in dim light and on par in good light.

It's got a shutter lag of 0.056 seconds too, which isn't exactly slow.

Unless I've misread your comment, in which case disregard (it sounds to me like you are saying you found the OM-D slow, so you're really glad you haven't even looked at the Fujis).

Apr 22, 2013 at 04:02 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Re-thinking MFT

Steve Spencer wrote:
Hi Yakim,

My wife has an OM-D and I use it with the half grip sometimes and I find it is big enough even though I have very large hands. I think you might also want to look at the GH3 too. It doesn't have sensor based stabilization, but it is a bigger camera. As far as the EVF on the OM-D, I find it to be very good. This is a bit of a matter of taste, but in shopping for cameras, both my wife and I found the lack of lag and the brightness of the OM-D to
...Show more

Ergonomically I have no doubt that I'll like the GH3. I still remember playing with the GH2 about a year ago and liking it. However, it's much more expensive than the OM-D. Further, the lenses I fancy are all primes and when coupled with GH3 I'll have no stabilization whatsoever. The combination of the two means I'm eying the OM-D, probably with the grip.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 22, 2013 at 05:15 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.