Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

Helen Oster
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

patriot wrote:
Refurb D600 delivered from Adorama yesterday. Camera looks clean and new, 6 actuations on the shutter. Sensor is clean. Firmware not updated.

However, the serial number is 303XXXX, which puts this as a December made unit. From what a have heard, others are getting newer made refurbs.

Would this concern anyone? Getting an "old" refurb? Nikon seems to have come up with some resolution to the dust / oil issue recently, so if this is an older refurb, could this one have not been checked, and has been sitting around adorama for a few months?

On the other hand, the oil/dust issue
...Show more

While we have no way of knowing the unit's history, if you email me your order number and / or the full serial number I can certainly check what date it was delivered to us: [email protected]

May 01, 2013 at 05:08 AM
patriot
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

Thanks Helen, just sent you a note. Any insight is appreciated!

May 01, 2013 at 06:04 AM
ocbaud

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

Just received my D800 refurb from Adorama.

Nikon I guess is cheaping out more on the refurbs. I had a d700 refurb before and it came in a nice grey nikon box that had nikon and refurbished on it.
This came in a normal cardboard box. Not a problem, just a change i'm sure to save money.

Camera was great, about 8400 actuations on it, body looked brand new, though I am pretty disappointed that the lcd screen protector was VERY scratched up and dirty.

May 02, 2013 at 01:45 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

ocbaud wrote:
Just received my D800 refurb from Adorama.

Nikon I guess is cheaping out more on the refurbs. I had a d700 refurb before and it came in a nice grey nikon box that had nikon and refurbished on it.
This came in a normal cardboard box. Not a problem, just a change i'm sure to save money.

Camera was great, about 8400 actuations on it, body looked brand new, though I am pretty disappointed that the lcd screen protector was VERY scratched up and dirty.

just got me d800e refurb from adorama yesterday as well and it had 11 actuations but still the LCD protector had scratches which is fine i don't care.

the big thing was focus and for me and my lenses it is not acceptable (-20 on 2 and -12 on another)

I'm sending mine back for an exchange. If you don't have any issues with yours then thats awesome! i would rather have 8400 accusations and great focus

May 02, 2013 at 03:11 PM
patriot
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

Mine (D600) came in a grey Nikon refurb box, well packaged, all new contents. Camera had 6 clicks on it. Plastic LCD cover also had a scratch on it. No other marks on the camera. Looks brand new. Sensor was clean, as was the whole inside area.

Preliminary test looks good. Left, right, and center AF's all look fine.

Used Lensalign on the the 24-120, also a Adorama refurb. That came in a plain box, lens wrapped in plastic. This one looks acceptably sharp from 24 - 120 at f4. Acceptable meaning no issues, and files when processed yielded decent images. I was expecting worse, given the reviews, at either the long or wide end. No real change in the focus plain either, which also surprised me: a tad of FF at one end, a tad of BF at the other, good from 35 on through 85. Not worth tuning. Sure, the 24-70 on my D800 delivered better results, same test (wanted to compare), but to be honset when not pixel peeping, the D600 and 24-120 holds its own nicely. So early test I am pleased.

Tested a new Sigma 35 1.4 as well. That one needed +3 AF tuning. I am a little concerned at what looks like green fringing in OOF areas, wide open. Could be me, and I need to learn more about this lens. Tried it on my D800, same test, and got some as well, just less. But I was more testing left and right AF, not so much technique. Very bright light, etc. Will have to spend more time on that lens.

May 02, 2013 at 09:21 PM
digiready

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

Adorama

Apr 20, 2014 at 06:42 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

patriot wrote:
Tested a new Sigma 35 1.4 as well. That one needed +3 AF tuning. I am a little concerned at what looks like green fringing in OOF areas, wide open. Could be me, and I need to learn more about this lens. Tried it on my D800, same test, and got some as well, just less. But I was more testing left and right AF, not so much technique. Very bright light, etc. Will have to spend more time on that lens.

The color fringing in fast glass is a "feature." Actually, it appears in prettty much all short lenses wide open. Try it at f2.8 and it pretty much disappears. I've not seen it in the central part of the frame, but it appears toward the edges of the frame.

My biggest problem with the lens was the mini ice age caused by my purchase last Christmas!

Apr 20, 2014 at 08:58 PM
Mr. Clean
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

I've had a few refurbs from Adorama and each one was great. How many shots do you have into it to determine the oil issue? If you're just wondering about it, I wouldn't worry...Nikon is covering these cameras very well

Apr 20, 2014 at 09:42 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

All said, my D700 came fr Adorama refurbished. IIRC, it had 6 clicks on the shutter. The D800 I bought refurbished from Cameta was an old-timer in comparison with 29 clicks on the shutter. Both were flawless right out of the box, and still are.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Mr. Clean
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

A plug for Helen, she's helped me for years...Very cool, that Adorama place

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM
inspus

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

How is KEM for buying used gear?

Apr 22, 2014 at 05:06 AM
inspus

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

Sorry, mistake there. Its keh, not kem.

I'm trying to understand if KEH is a legitimate source for buying used gear. I already know that B&H is a great source, but I'm getting a fantastic deal on keh.
Its also rated highly on ebay.

Apr 22, 2014 at 05:10 AM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

Mr. Clean wrote:
A plug for Helen, she's helped me for years...Very cool, that Adorama place

My pleasure!

Apr 23, 2014 at 02:31 AM
Palmguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

inspus wrote:
Sorry, mistake there. Its keh, not kem.

I'm trying to understand if KEH is a legitimate source for buying used gear. I already know that B&H is a great source, but I'm getting a fantastic deal on keh.
Its also rated highly on ebay.

Yes.

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:10 PM
R.A.R

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Buy Refurbished DSLR direct from Nikon or Adorama?

Adorama! They've always been very helpful and offer great customer service whereas nikon customer service has been less than desirable lately.

Apr 23, 2014 at 04:00 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.