New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Headshot of my wife and a question

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Headshot of my wife and a question

Took this shot to practice my lighting setup, and it got me to wondering.... Are dual catchlights in the eyes acceptable?

Thanks for your input and feedback.

Greg

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:08 PM
scottam10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Headshot of my wife and a question

Personally, I'd clone out the 2nd catchlight, I think it looks unnatural

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Headshot of my wife and a question

Multiple catchlights are fine if the lighting and image warrants it. In this case you're probably better off just eliminating your fill. You'd end up with an image where the light draws the shape of the face more effectively. In addition to the second catchlight, you've also got a second skin reflection on the nose.

When you're setting up your lighting, start with one, see what you've got and then add one at a time until you've built the feeling you're after.

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:27 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Headshot of my wife and a question

Thanks Scottam10 and Peter. I'm glad you pointed out the reflection on her nose Peter. That's exactly the sort of thing I need to learn, Thanks again!

Greg

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:45 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Headshot of my wife and a question

Here's an edit with the fill catchlight removed and a little blending of her nose....

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:49 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Headshot of my wife and a question

I've done some headshots with dual catchlights. Never had a complaint, not so sure any but the most sophisticated clients would realize there were two catchlights. It doesn't really bother me, but it's going to create very even 1:1 lighting like what you have here. Once you move the second light off to side and create a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio or whatever, you'll start seeing some dramatic lighting. Give it a try.

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:58 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Headshot of my wife and a question

This is the shoot I was setting up for. Luckily, I have friends willing to sit in for shots as I learn the craft....

Anyway, this is what the fill was for......

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Headshot of my wife and a question

friscoron wrote:
I've done some headshots with dual catchlights. Never had a complaint, not so sure any but the most sophisticated clients would realize there were two catchlights. It doesn't really bother me, but it's going to create very even 1:1 lighting like what you have here. Once you move the second light off to side and create a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio or whatever, you'll start seeing some dramatic lighting. Give it a try.

Thanks Ron, I will indeed try it! Thanks!

Greg

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Headshot of my wife and a question

I use fill light often. The secret is where to place it. .. You have them opposite each other.
Next time move the fill light just behind the camera.
If I have the main light camera right the the fill light is behind the camera and slightly right. Not far off the main.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM
hatch1921
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Headshot of my wife and a question

You will find some people think it's taboo to have more than one catchlight in the eyes and others (myself included) are not concerned with it.

Next time you are at the magazine rack... look at covers and take note at the number of catchlights in the eyes. While walking outdoors... study the eyes and notice how many catchlights you see. Multiple ... all the time.

Just my personal opinion of course.... but it really only matters if the catchlights are so overpowering they are drawing all the attention away from the subject. I think it's more important to place the lights and work with your lighting in a way it is flattering to the person/s being photographed. If it takes 1 light or many more, a couple of catchlights in the eyes won't be noticed or worried about by anyone other than photographers. Again... just my $.02

In the shot above, it's up to you of course.... either way works and if taking out one of the catchlights is more appealing to you then remove it But again... try not to get hung up on any hard rules about multiple catchlights.

Hatch

A post I put together... forgot about this one... but... shows some examples about this topic.
http://www.hatch1921.com/omg-multiple-catchlights-in-their-eyes/

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Headshot of my wife and a question

Thanks guys! Hatch, I appreciate the the feedback and the link. It was a good read for me and I think you are correct in that it is a matter of personal taste. I have indeed seen multiple catch lights used in magazines, movies, etc., and I've also taken some shots where a long set of windows created long thin strips of catchlights that I actually thought were pretty cool looking, yet, I still wondered.....ah heck, I could go on and on about self-doubt, but your feedback and link helped put things in a bit of perspective for me. Thanks!

Greg

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:21 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Headshot of my wife and a question

I also don't have a problem with extra catchlights. I have removed some in the past, but if you look at all the fashion mags and many popular portraits in advertising etc. very very very few will have eyes that the retoucher/photographer has removed the extra catchlights. I often look at the eyes to see what they used for a lighting scenario. For your wife's shot I would think a higher lighting ratio would work better on her face shape and try turning her the other direction to see how she likes that also. On the pregnant couple she should have her hands on his and it looks a bit odd to me to have her seated and him standing. There are many pregnancy images online that you can gain inspiration from.

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:36 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Headshot of my wife and a question

JohnBrose wrote:
I also don't have a problem with extra catchlights. I have removed some in the past, but if you look at all the fashion mags and many popular portraits in advertising etc. very very very few will have eyes that the retoucher/photographer has removed the extra catchlights. I often look at the eyes to see what they used for a lighting scenario. For your wife's shot I would think a higher lighting ratio would work better on her face shape and try turning her the other direction to see how she likes that also. On the pregnant couple she should
...Show more

Thanks John. Not sure if it's conveyed here, but I'm just getting to shooting people on a more serious level, so I've much to learn. I appreciate the feedback. As for the couple, I didn't have a wide enough roll of seamless to get them both seated, so yeah, perhaps it's a bit awkward.....something to think about next time....

Greg

Apr 20, 2013 at 03:32 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Headshot of my wife and a question

Just a further comment on the first photo: I think 50mm is not the most flattering lens for a head and shoulders shot as you have to be too close (exaggerating the nose etc) which isn't flattering; my preference is to use a slightly longer lens (eg 85mm or 135mm) and stand back further

Well done on the second shot, the multiple catch lights aren't as noticeable when you're further back, and standing back is also more flattering for your subjects

Apr 20, 2013 at 06:59 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.