New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sigma lens dock

Lance B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma lens dock

I don't know if this has already been shown, but this is a great development by Sigma and something Nikon could do well to employ:

Sigma dock

Apparently it will be available for the 18-35 f1.8 as well.

So, any of you that have focus issues with any of your Sigma lenses listed for use on this dock should be able to fix them by usitlising this dock.

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:08 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma lens dock

They mentioned this when the 35 1.4 was announced, but so far I haven't heard any updates about it. Will it be sold at local retailers? How much would it cost? It does look interesting.

Apr 21, 2013 at 03:13 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma lens dock

DontShoot wrote:
They mentioned this when the 35 1.4 was announced, but so far I haven't heard any updates about it. Will it be sold at local retailers? How much would it cost? It does look interesting.

I didn't realise that they announced this with the 35mm f1.4, however, the beauty of it on the 18-35 is that it will allow AF fine tune at various zoom settings, which is a fantastic thing to be able to do. Nikon could learn form this. As for the 35mm f1..4 itself, unless you have some sort of horrendously out of spec AF fine tune and can't tune it on the Nikon camera, then I can't see why you would need it.

Apr 21, 2013 at 03:36 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma lens dock

Lance B wrote:
I didn't realise that they announced this with the 35mm f1.4, however, the beauty of it on the 18-35 is that it will allow AF fine tune at various zoom settings, which is a fantastic thing to be able to do. Nikon could learn form this. As for the 35mm f1..4 itself, unless you have some sort of horrendously out of spec AF fine tune and can't tune it on the Nikon camera, then I can't see why you would need it.

Some Sigma 35 1.4 lenses (as mine) need tuning for close, medium and infinity distances. For example, at -7 mine is super sharp for close ups but very soft at distant subjects. It took me a lot of trial & error until I figured a value for all distances. But it was worth it nevertheless

Apr 21, 2013 at 04:05 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma lens dock

hijazist wrote:
Some Sigma 35 1.4 lenses (as mine) need tuning for close, medium and infinity distances. For example, at -7 mine is super sharp for close ups but very soft at distant subjects. It took me a lot of trial & error until I figured a value for all distances. But it was worth it nevertheless

Interesting, an aspect of focus performance I had forgotten about and very valid one at that! I guess it might work for lenses with focus shift at different apertures as well?

Apr 21, 2013 at 07:56 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma lens dock

You can use it for a lot more than just AF fine-tune.

The dock allows user-installerable firmware updates, as well as changes to other settings, such as tradeoffs between AF-speed and AF-smoothness, etc.

Of course, the AF-finetune feature is also very welcomed.

Apr 21, 2013 at 09:07 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma lens dock

It's included when you buy the Sigma 120-300 as well.

Apr 21, 2013 at 09:09 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma lens dock

It's only $59 at B&H. Sigma lists the following functions.

Contemporary, Art and Sports
Updating Lens Firmware -- It is possible to update the lens firmware via the internet.
Focus Setting -- Multiple focus setting options are available: 4 categories for fixed focal length lenses, and 16 categories (4 options for focal length) x (4 options for shooting distance) for zoom lenses.

Sports line
AF Speed Adjustment -- There are 3 AF speed modes.
Focus Limiter Adjustment -- Offering customization for the driving range of auto focus enables a photographer to exactly reflect the personal preference.
OS Setting -- There are 3 OS (Optical Stabilizer) adjustment modes.

Apr 22, 2013 at 06:56 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma lens dock

Lance B wrote:
Interesting, an aspect of focus performance I had forgotten about and very valid one at that! I guess it might work for lenses with focus shift at different apertures as well?

Also interesting, but I think focus shift is caused by spherical aberrations (optical design) rather than the AF motor, so with a lens suffering from focus shift you can AF tune to achieve optimum focus for a particular aperture, however, that will throw away the AF tuning for other apertures. So I don't think the dock will be useful in that regard. That's my understanding but I am not sure though

Apr 22, 2013 at 07:17 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma lens dock

hijazist wrote:
Also interesting, but I think focus shift is caused by spherical aberrations (optical design) rather than the AF motor, so with a lens suffering from focus shift you can AF tune to achieve optimum focus for a particular aperture, however, that will throw away the AF tuning for other apertures. So I don't think the dock will be useful in that regard. That's my understanding but I am not sure though

But, maybe it can allow AF fine tune for differing apertures as well which should be achievable with firmware.

Apr 22, 2013 at 08:07 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.