New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Portable studio kit

niktnowy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portable studio kit

Hey everyone.

I am an armature photographer. Very enthusiastic about that hobby. I would like to purchase few lights for homemade studio to practice portraits. I have two speed lights but I was looking into some constant lighting. main softbox,filler strobes and spot light. Looking for umbrella and some deflectors. I would like to have some background cover as well.

I would like to ask you for your expertise in this subject.

Thank you

Apr 19, 2013 at 08:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portable studio kit

Hi Nik,

Your list of items covers a lot of the bases, well all of the bases, and then some.

I have a portable studio kit that includes pretty much all of what you mention, but it weighs a ton and takes considerable forethought to pack, transport, unpack, set up, and use.

One of the most important aspects of using a portable studio is trying to figure out how to apply what you have, in the space that you want to use it. I'm definitely still learning. One of my first lessons was how to use two or three off-camera flash with a couple of reflectors, and some stands. Not to mention bounce from the ceiling and walls.

No slight or offense intended, but maybe you should see if a local camera shop, photo studio, or community college is offering a couse on studio lighting.

Jim

P.S. this really should be posted in the Lighting & Studio forum.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM
niktnowy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portable studio kit

Thanks a lot.
Especially for an idea of taking lessons.

I have few flashes to use but I am under impression that flashgun will get more natural light than flash.
It is more difficult to control bounce light from flash. Thats why I was looking into constant lighting.
I was thinking to get following setup:

- Softbox or two with stands
- Two Strobelights - around 300 Watts
- Umbrella with sync flash
- Two reflectors
- Background setup

Thanks a lot for any input.

Apr 20, 2013 at 06:34 AM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portable studio kit

This would be good start for an inexpensive set: http://www.adorama.com/FP320MPWK.html

Adorama has great service and sells a lot of accessories for their lights.

Apr 21, 2013 at 06:45 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.