Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Epson replace cartidge ink use question

jodo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Epson replace cartidge ink use question

When replacing a cartridge does the printer suck ink from the new cartridge only or does it hit all the cartridges.
Specifically asking about the stylus 1400.

Apr 19, 2013 at 08:26 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #2 · Epson replace cartidge ink use question

All of them, but not enough to care about under normal circumstances.

Apr 20, 2013 at 03:13 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Epson replace cartidge ink use question

colinm wrote:
All of them, but not enough to care about under normal circumstances.

until you have to replace them one at a time in fairly quick time.

epson (ad all the others i pressume) seem to invent many ways to use up ink without it actually being put on the paper to actually print something you really want to .

Apr 20, 2013 at 05:11 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Epson replace cartidge ink use question

It's not really waisting ink, it keeps the system charged and free of bubbles/air and helps the printed head to stay free of clogs. I don't feel it's a conspiracy to try to get us to buy a bit more ink.

Apr 20, 2013 at 05:28 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Epson replace cartidge ink use question

Unless Engineering's good intentions end up in the hands of Marketing.

When I bought my Epson 7900 it came with autoclean on. When it just about sucked the charging cartridge dry (LLK) within a short period of time I realized what was happening. I turned that sucker off.

These new printers can handle manual maintenance (called human intervention) very well. It didn't need to clean itself more than my cats do.

Apr 20, 2013 at 06:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jodo
• •
p.1 #6 · Epson replace cartidge ink use question

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
until you have to replace them one at a time in fairly quick time.

That's the reason for my inquiry. I have three coming due at about the same time and was considering "beating the system" by changing all three at once. I have several 13x19 I need to print and knowing a cartridge can fail mid print is very disconcerting. Hate to waste the ink either way but if I screw a print must consider the paper waste as well.

A minor dilemma. And how to trust and interpret the printer's graphic ink level indicator. No idea how accurate it is. Heads they win, tails I lose. Or to put it another way... printing is great fun.

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:01 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Epson replace cartidge ink use question

jodo wrote:
That's the reason for my inquiry. I have three coming due at about the same time and was considering "beating the system" by changing all three at once. I have several 13x19 I need to print and knowing a cartridge can fail mid print is very disconcerting. Hate to waste the ink either way but if I screw a print must consider the paper waste as well.

A minor dilemma. And how to trust and interpret the printer's graphic ink level indicator. No idea how accurate it is. Heads they win, tails I lose. Or to put it another way... printing
...Show more

I'm running a 3880 and for nearly 2 weeks it has been screaming at me that one cart is "dangerously" low. Message, flashing light, etc. Curious to see just how accurate this was I've continued to print. I've done (all full color on glossy media) 8 10x16, 10 8x10, and maybe 2 dozen 4x6. Still printing, light still blinking.

I'm coming to the conclusion that unless you are printing on truly expensive paper, running the cart dry is the way to go cause Epson certainly lets you know waaay in advance. If I were the suspicious type, I'd think Epson is trying to sell more ink.

Robert

May 06, 2013 at 07:43 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #8 · Epson replace cartidge ink use question

jodo wrote:

A minor dilemma. And how to trust and interpret the printer's graphic ink level indicator. No idea how accurate it is. Heads they win, tails I lose. Or to put it another way... printing
...Show more

Slightly off topic...but I have a R2880 and Canon Pro9000. With the Canon, I am able to refill the OEM carts which I do with German OCP ink that I bulk buy. It works out about a 10th the cost of Canon carts.

Part of the saving comes from topping up all the carts each time one shows it is approaching empty...in effect it is the same as always replacing every cart at once. This dramatically reduces the ink wasted through cartridge changes (and of course prolongs the life of the waste ink pads).

I am looking to do something similar with the Epson next and will soon be testing a refillable cart with ink from a reputable source.

May 08, 2013 at 04:45 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Epson replace cartidge ink use question

anthonygh wrote:
Slightly off topic...but I have a R2880 and Canon Pro9000. With the Canon, I am able to refill the OEM carts which I do with German OCP ink that I bulk buy. It works out about a 10th the cost of Canon carts.

Part of the saving comes from topping up all the carts each time one shows it is approaching empty...in effect it is the same as always replacing every cart at once. This dramatically reduces the ink wasted through cartridge changes (and of course prolongs the life of the waste ink pads).

I am looking to do something similar with
...Show more

Some disagree about the wisdom of not using OEM ink, but I've not found it to be an issue if you take due care. For your R2880 Jon Cone inks (and carts) serve me well. The Epson carts have to be replaced with a refillable version (one time cost), then there is a straight forward system for refilling. Neither I nor anyone who has viewed my work can tell which were printed with what ink. www.inkjetmall.com

Robert

May 08, 2013 at 09:09 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password