Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Honoring the Hoyts...

Aqualung
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Honoring the Hoyts...

Many of you here are probably familiar with Dick and Rick Hoyt; while they're based here they compete nationwide. If you're not, Google them for some background, or go to www.teamhoyt.com.

Dick (72 now, I believe) has competed in marathons, triathlons (incl Ironman in Hawaii), and countless other events pushing Rick, swimming with him, and bicycling with Rick.

Their primary sponsor, John Hancock Financial donated a statute which was unveiled just before this week's Boston Marathon. It's near the starting line in Hopkinton if you're ever in the area.

Truly inspirational.

Chris

For background, the 2009 Boston Marathon

The 2012 Boston Marathon

The Center School, where the statue is

Edited on Apr 19, 2013 at 07:01 PM · View previous versions

Apr 19, 2013 at 06:56 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Honoring the Hoyts...

the plaque...

Apr 19, 2013 at 07:01 PM
kateman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Honoring the Hoyts...

Aqualung,
very, very stirring. I am an Occupational Therapist by choice and education. I have heard of these two many times.
great images and very inspirational, consider the current news.
thanks for sharing.
Hope these inspire others.
B

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Honoring the Hoyts...

As a physical therapist and a photographer Chris, great tribute and presentation. Thanks for sharing!

Ted

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Honoring the Hoyts...

You're quite welcome guys....thanks.

Chris

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Honoring the Hoyts...

Nice stuff. Good story.

Apr 20, 2013 at 05:07 AM
chrisbergmann
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Honoring the Hoyts...

Thanks for sharing, what an inspiration!

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Honoring the Hoyts...

Very inspirational story and great coverage Chris. I don't think I will complain about driving my kids around today.

Apr 20, 2013 at 02:06 PM
Steven King
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Honoring the Hoyts...

Chris,
I love the shots of the Hoyts! I've seen them compete on TV for many years now, first in the Hawaii Ironman and then many other races too. Thanks for sharing those images.

Apr 20, 2013 at 03:04 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Honoring the Hoyts...

Thanks guys, you're welcome....

Chris

Apr 20, 2013 at 09:45 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Honoring the Hoyts...

Chris, Just saw this. I have been using their story to teach my team about overcoming obstacles and what a motivated person can do. Thanks for sharing.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Honoring the Hoyts...

you're welcome...they were mentioned/honored by Pres. Obama in his speech when he came to Boston last week; they helped throw out the first pitch Saturday at Fenway.

And they will run again next year...interview from this past weekend's Today Shows;

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/hl-60207204/nbc_today_show_father_disabled_son_marathon_team_we_ll_be_stronger_next_year/

Apr 22, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Geo31
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Honoring the Hoyts...

Rick and Dick are simply amazing. I saw them at the Boston Marathon in 2010 when my GF ran it (as a qualifier). The same year, a friend with MS ran it as well. When he went to meet the Hoyts at the expo, they told him: "We know who you are." Still gives me goosebumps that they knew who Andy is.

When Rick and Dick first attempted Boston, they ran as bandits because they could not get an official entry. They did this for at least two years before being offered an entry, BUT they had to qualify at Rick's (faster) qualifying time. I am an Ironman, but I cannot even imagine the effort required to compete as a team like they do.

They are one of the greatest inspirational stories I've ever heard (and marathoning and Ironman are full of them). I do hope that they get to retire before Dick is called home.

May 03, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Honoring the Hoyts...

great story/background, I'm sure it was a thrill for your friend.

They were stopped about a mile short of this year's Marathon due to the bomb, but have already announced they will run next year....

Chris

May 04, 2013 at 12:55 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password