Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

SchnellerGT
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

We all know that Canon's sensors are in a sense colorblind when it comes to the RED spectrum.

Nikon of course has a great RGB Matrix metering system (to go along with their AF-linked spot metering):

http://imaging.nikon.com/history/scenes/14/

So Canon sensors are deficient in at least three ways compared to the Sony/Nikon combo:

1. Dynamic Range
2. AF-linked spot metering
3. RGB Matrix metering

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM
scottam10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

I don't get it. What's your point?

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:53 AM
MintMar
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

AF - linked spot metering is (and was) available for a long time in 1D line. And for long money.

RGB metering sensor is newly available in 1Dx.

Non 1Dx bodies are colorblind though.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

scottam10 wrote:
I don't get it. What's your point?

Trolling ?

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

Troll!

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Robert Way
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

Does it really matter? Both Canon and Nikon produce some very nice gear.

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:20 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

Why is this considered trolling? The OP brought up some interesting points - I wasn't aware of this discrepancy in regard to RGB metering system. If this is not correct, the replies should tackle this on a fact-given basis, but not in a fanboy-like manner of saying this this is simply trolling. If there is a difference in sensors here, it should be discussed and addressed, nothing wrong with this!

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:41 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

And Nikons are deficient compared with Canon is many ways too, most notably in lenses but also back of the camera screen, many are now saying AF speed and so on.

Take your pick which is least deficient system for your work. No one forces you to buy Canon.

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:44 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

retrofocus wrote:
Why is this considered trolling?

I think it's meant to be inflammatory, which is the primary definition of a troll. It does three things:

1. States a Canon deficiency (which is not correct, for the 1DX)
2. States that Nikon is great in the same area
3. Lists three Canon deficiencies (of which, the last two are not correct).

There is no attempt to encourage discussion, there is no consideration of what may be coming, and the basic premise is totally incorrect with respect to AF-linked spot metering for 1D-series cameras, and RGB Matrix metering for the 1DX.

I might be wrong (I certainly have been before), but I still think this thread OP is meant to be inflammatory, and so it's a troll. YMMV.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:21 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

Yawn.....

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

SchnellerGT wrote:
We all know that Canon's sensors are in a sense colorblind when it comes to the RED spectrum.

Nikon of course has a great RGB Matrix metering system (to go along with their AF-linked spot metering):

http://imaging.nikon.com/history/scenes/14/

So Canon sensors are deficient in at least three ways compared to the Sony/Nikon combo:

1. Dynamic Range
2. AF-linked spot metering
3. RGB Matrix metering

You don't know what you talk about

1. My Canon camera have RGB Matrix metering
2. My Canon camera also have AF linked spot metering. And it's linked to 61 AF points. So all Nikon bodies are deficient compared to my AF spot-metering. It also have multi spot metering

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:33 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

jcolwell wrote:
I think it's meant to be inflammatory, which is the primary definition of a troll. It does three things:

1. States a Canon deficiency (which is not correct, for the 1DX)
2. States that Nikon is great in the same area
3. Lists three Canon deficiencies (of which, the last two are not correct).

There is no attempt to encourage discussion, there is no consideration of what may be coming, and the basic premise is totally incorrect with respect to AF-linked spot metering for 1D-series cameras, and RGB Matrix metering for the 1DX.

I might be wrong (I certainly have been before), but I
...Show more

You are right about the 1D series capability to have AF-linked spot metering. I might be wrong, but I interpret the OPs statement that he referred to non 1D series bodies (which admittedly wasn't expressed in the post). Otherwise the statement makes no sense. Maybe the OP can comment on this, it would be helpful.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:48 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

SchnellerGT wrote:

"Great" metering system? You obviously haven't used a recent Nikon camera... there's a reason why Nikon shooters need to be able push exposures 4 or 5 stops... and don't even dare talk about AWB accuracy.

Nikon's matrix metering is largely marketing hype; Canon's evaluative metering is significantly more accurate and reliable (and yes, I own both systems...).

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:52 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

retrofocus wrote:
Why is this considered trolling? The OP brought up some interesting points - I wasn't aware of this discrepancy in regard to RGB metering system. If this is not correct, the replies should tackle this on a fact-given basis, but not in a fanboy-like manner of saying this this is simply trolling. If there is a difference in sensors here, it should be discussed and addressed, nothing wrong with this!

This was clearly a trolling post. The OP simply made a statement (incorrect) and lit a match and left. There is no question or discussion encouraged.

You look for any way to jump on the anti-canon bandwagon. Give it a rest already. Both systems have good and 'bad' points. That is how technology works. If someone wanted they could easily pick three canon features and list the Nikon cameras as deficient.

Personally, I've never noticed any metering issues or AF linked spot metering issues or AWB issues in any canon I've used. Always been very happy with the performance of my gears

Apr 19, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

The OP's profile lists only a Canon 20D. His/her website simply says "nothing to see here".
Should I switch to Nikon immediately, or merely write to Canon complaining bitterly about the grievous deficiencies of my gear?

Apr 19, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

The last Canon camera without RGB metering was the 20D, as far as I know.

Since then the HistoBlinkyMeters on all Canons show RGB. Digital is not film.

Apr 19, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

Would anyone care to make a non-troll post to explain what "RGB matrix metering" is? Explain what it might be beyond Nikon marketing hype? Presumably it is more than hype, so the task should be easy. It might help to set terms, especially if those who think the OP's post is serious (and not troll bait) want a serious discussion.

Apr 19, 2013 at 05:36 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

Monito wrote:
Would anyone care to make a non-troll post to explain what "RGB matrix metering" is? Explain what it might be beyond Nikon marketing hype? Presumably it is more than hype, so the task should be easy. It might help to set terms, especially if those who think the OP's post is serious (and not troll bait) want a serious discussion.

That's what I originally hoped to get out of this post - I never heard about this RGB matrix metering before. Has nothing to do whatever brand is applying or not applying it, would be just interesting to know about this feature.

Apr 19, 2013 at 05:41 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

Monito wrote:

In my brief search online it basically means that the exposure meter is measuring colour in the scene as well as brightness levels. The info from the Canon 1Dx is "The meter's DIGIC 4 Image Processor uses EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis System) that incorporates face and colour recognition data for more stable performance under rapidly changing lighting situations."

I could maybe see that being useful in certain shooting situations, but overall probably isn't really necessary. The fact that almost no one knows what it means or how it works could suggest that it isn't that important.

Apr 19, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon's lack of RGB metering...

One of the indicators of a trolling post is that it elicits hostile replies - whether or not the statement(s) are true or false.

This OP seems to qualify on this point.

Glenn

Apr 19, 2013 at 06:27 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password