Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Is LR4 a good RAW converter for Nikon?

Albi86
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is LR4 a good RAW converter for Nikon?

I'm new to Nikon so there are many things that I'm still learning.

The way I usually do things is to import my NEF files from the D600 into LR4 with the "convert to DNG" option.

I have to say, I'm not always pleased with the rendition.

How do you Nikon veterans do it?

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:39 AM
colincarter46
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is LR4 a good RAW converter for Nikon?

I don't convert to DNG, never have, never will, but thats just my choice.

Other than that I haven't found a better raw converter on the market, Lightroom is superb.

Aperture is also good and so is phase one capture one, I just like light rooms workflow.

Nikon capturNX is probably the worst written piece of software out there. Good results but a pig to use.

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:58 AM
Albi86
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is LR4 a good RAW converter for Nikon?

So do you think there's a loss of something in converting to DNG?

I also love the usability of LR4. I had the idea to use the Nikon software to convert the files to 16bit TIFF and the importing the TIFF into LR. The only problem is the size of TIFF files O.o

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:03 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is LR4 a good RAW converter for Nikon?

There is no need to convert files to import them. I import NEF files to a drive separate from Lightroom. They are available for processing. Once I've done my work in LR, I open each file in Photoshop as TIFF file. Once I've finished processing, almost always for display on the internet, I save JPG files to a different hard drive. The original NEF files remain in the download drive together with modifications from LR. It is all very simple.

Lightroom works beautifully with NEF files. I couldn't be happier with my post processing workflow in which the majority of the work is done in LR. Recently, I added Nik tools which give me additional methods of working with files. Amazing what we can do sitting at our computers. Good luck.

Apr 19, 2013 at 03:50 AM
ffstory
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is LR4 a good RAW converter for Nikon?

There is actually a loss of metadata when converting to DNG. The conversion strips Nikon-proprietary metadata.

Information like flash-mode, flash model number, active permament exposure compensation, focus mode, whether you had VR active or not, long exposure NR mode are not preserved. Once you convert to DNG you can't access that data any more.

ViewNX2/Capture NX2 (reference Nikon RAW converters) can't open DNG files so you are giving up an option to convert your RAWs in reference tool if needed.

Furthermore, if you contribute to photo contests, there is often a rule that you should be able to provide the file as captured by the camera. DNG files are not permited unless native format of the camera (Wildlife Photographer of the year official rules)

These are strong arguments against DNG. I think the format targets the potential problem that does not really exist while creating more problems. That's I always never giveup my RAWs.

Edited on Apr 19, 2013 at 06:56 AM · View previous versions

Apr 19, 2013 at 04:05 AM
Albi86
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is LR4 a good RAW converter for Nikon?

Thank you very much for your replies

I've always converted my CR2 files to DNG with no problem, but I see that it would be better to leave the NEF files as they are.

Apr 19, 2013 at 04:59 AM
Airphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is LR4 a good RAW converter for Nikon?

I use capture one for sharpening, It will convert your file to dng for use in lightrooom. Lightroom is great for workflow but not for individual renditions of white balance or sharpening

Apr 19, 2013 at 08:35 AM
mfletch
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is LR4 a good RAW converter for Nikon?

I don't really understand what conversion to DNG does for your photos. It seems that any type of file conversion would add to the potential for loss of data unnecessarily. I see the DNG format only as a protection of your image files from becoming obsolete. But I just don't see Adobe or others ever abandoning support for these proprietary RAW formats(NEF, CR2, etc.).

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM
JHsu

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is LR4 a good RAW converter for Nikon?

Although I don't do all that much with sharpening, my personal experience is that Lightroom is great for fine tuning white balance. Importing straight into Lightroom doesn't usually leave me with a great rendition of what I'm looking for, but I suppose that's what post processing is for. After going through my photos in Lightroom, I must say there isn't much that I'm left longing for.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:33 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is LR4 a good RAW converter for Nikon?

Albi86 wrote:
Thank you very much for your replies

I've always converted my CR2 files to DNG with no problem, but I see that it would be better to leave the NEF files as they are.

Ok well here's the Nikon fanboy answer. Because Canon's free software sucks. Seriously. Not saying Nikon's has been stellar. But ever since they put out ViewNX about 6 years ago it makes processing NEF's with no additional purchase easy and straight out of the camera it gets interpreted how nikon intended.
Canon's software. Not so much. And when you use Adobe it's Adobe's interpretation of any RAW file.

That might be the reason why you felt the need to convert to DNG all the time as you never ran across a reason to use CR2's natively.

So give ViewNX2 a whirl. Not saying dump Lightroom. Just know why your rendition of the photo might not look "right".

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:46 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is LR4 a good RAW converter for Nikon?

DNG can provide huge storage advantages and at the same time maintaining most if not all of the advantages of a RAW format file. Therefore, if you are a wedding photographer shooting a D800 or other camera that captures large RAW file sizes it can be a huge advantage.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:50 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is LR4 a good RAW converter for Nikon?

The problem saving LR4 adjustments to a DNG file is those adjustments can't be read by other programs like Capture One. Not sure Canon or Nikon software reads the LR4 adjustments to a DNG? To my knowledge, most image processing software reads the TIF format, which is why I still use the TIF format.

Apr 19, 2013 at 04:41 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.