Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Accessible hiking bag to couple with a frame backpack?

alexdi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Accessible hiking bag to couple with a frame backpack?

I do a lot of climbing trips. This involves hiking around a crag with an internal-frame backpack filled with gear. I've been storing my camera gear in the bottom compartment in a Domke F6, but reaching it requires taking the pack off.

I'm looking for a bag I can attach to one of the various gear loops on the front straps of the backpack that makes the camera easily accessible. A waist pack doesn't seem feasible because the frame fits very tightly in that area. If I can, I'll also like to take it up the wall attached to a sling on the climbing harness.

Weight is an issue. The camera kit is: 5D II, 16-35/2.8 II, 100/2. One lens will be in separate container, so I'm looking at small holster-style packs. A few I've seen: FStop Droploader 15, Think Tank Holster 20, various Tamrac bags, and cheapies from Caselogic and the Adorama house brand.

Any suggestions on how better to do this or of other holsters worth considering? They all seem very similar, I'm not sure what I need to be looking for.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:46 AM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Accessible hiking bag to couple with a frame backpack?

Check out Kinesis.... kgear.com

They have a few solutions that might work.

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:12 AM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Accessible hiking bag to couple with a frame backpack?

Thanks, though their smallest bag looks too large. I'd even consider a neoprene case if I could find one big enough.

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:20 AM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Accessible hiking bag to couple with a frame backpack?

OK, another suggestion... Mountainsmith has camera holsters, and also a pack specifically designed for what you want (chest pack) -- it's called the Descent I think, though I'm not sure if marries with any backpack straps or just those on the Mountainsmith packs

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:56 PM
Bobat

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Accessible hiking bag to couple with a frame backpack?

I do a similar setup with a Thinktank 20 when backpacking. Thinktank sells a harness kit that you can use to attach it to your shoulder straps. It's meant to work with their backpacks, but it's easy enough to adapt to any pack with a few carabiners.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/backpack-connection-kit.aspx

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM
lighthawk
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Accessible hiking bag to couple with a frame backpack?

Back in the day when I did a lot of climbing, and I would use a fanny pack (Quest? MountainSmith). I wore out a few of them, but found it was the best style for climbing, leaving the shoulders free. My OM10 usually had one prime lens attached, so the weight was not too bad.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:30 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Accessible hiking bag to couple with a frame backpack?

Mindshift Gear looks like a really cool bag. It could be used as the camera and gear bag all in one.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Accessible hiking bag to couple with a frame backpack?

The fanny pack is an interesting thought, though it'd have to be mounted pretty high not to interfere with the climbing harness. I've narrowed this to (probably) the Think Tank 20 or a Tamrac 517 (super minimalist). Thanks again.

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:06 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Accessible hiking bag to couple with a frame backpack?

I just ordered a Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW, which appears to be the smallest bag capable of holding the 5D II / 16-35/2.8 combination. It opens inward, has straps to attach extra lens cases and a number of attachment points, weighs under 11 ounces, isn't overly padded, and has a rain cover.

Another interesting option was the Topload Zoom 2, a very similar bag that isn't listed on Lowepro's site for some reason. The marks against the others were primarily difficulty in verifying that this particular combination would fit, excessive size or bulk, or lack of attachment points. It didn't hurt that the 50 AW was only $25.

The first trial will be just hanging the thing from a carabiner or two. I haven't hiked enough to know if the more elaborate chest harness will be necessary.

Apr 22, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Douglas_Bush
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Accessible hiking bag to couple with a frame backpack?

For me weight is always a prime consideration when I'm backpacking. For this reason I try to take components I will already have for other uses and make them work for my camera gear as well. In other words, socks make great lens pouches. If you want a fairly lightweight solution that works well for keeping your gear clean, moderately protected and allows you to shoot while you're at a location and ready to shoot- take a look at the Think Tank "Thin Skin Belt" with modular pouches. Depending upon the belt on your backpack, you may be able to attach these lens pouches and a holster to your existing belt as well.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:41 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Accessible hiking bag to couple with a frame backpack?

I'm still young and foolish enough to hike with just about anything. The larger concern is climbing. It's hard enough to haul my own weight up some of these sport routes, a two pound pack hanging off my harness would be a nonstarter. Good thought on socks. I had to choose a pouch with a bit of external padding (a Lowepro 9x13cm) because I can't always ensure my body positioning in the event of a fall.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM
lighthawk
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Accessible hiking bag to couple with a frame backpack?

alexdi wrote:
I can't always ensure my body positioning in the event of a fall.

First of all, make the belayer the gear mule!

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:35 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Accessible hiking bag to couple with a frame backpack?

Anything ever come of this?

Did you look at/consider the Peak Designs "Capture"?
I know it's not what you're looking for, but the best way to improve your situation would be lighter/smaller gear.

Jun 03, 2013 at 07:38 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.