Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

I found it to be cool.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162266883/the-fusion-plate-a-camera-accessory?ref=live

I'm in no way associated with the company or the project. Just read about it and saw the video and found it to be a very cool thing. Neat idea.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

now that looks like a good basic "universal" piece within limits. i'll throw down. 1 red. after all he does have good taste in ballheads.

Edited on Apr 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM · View previous versions

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:01 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

1 blue for me - great idea!

Apr 19, 2013 at 05:34 AM
binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

Very interesting. I'd be a little worried that the plate will twist, with the force being off-center from the attachment screw. I know the rubber pad should help - just seems that it's a lot of bouncing weight hanging there for a rubber pad to be relied on.

Still, fantastic idea - I hope he gets funded. I'm a little over-stocked on plates right now myself

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

where I do agree about the possibility, this seems like a more reasonable/usable option then most others in the "universal" world. a good one to keep around for a "special occasion" and not regular daily use. as with anything you need to set your own personal limits in use and then there is always someone who will go the extra effort to find the actual ones.

I never "stock up" on such devices. having one universal "hot spare" is good enough.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM
CorwinGraves
• •
p.1 #6 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

Very cool idea, and perfect for use with Black Rapid and other straps. Should also be compatible with the Cotton Carrier together with an RRS or similar type of clamp.

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

added bonus...the inventor/owner is a FM member. I'll leave it for him to chime in if he wants to.

Apr 19, 2013 at 04:10 PM
Mendal

p.1 #8 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

binary visions wrote:
Very interesting. I'd be a little worried that the plate will twist, with the force being off-center from the attachment screw. I know the rubber pad should help - just seems that it's a lot of bouncing weight hanging there for a rubber pad to be relied on.

Still, fantastic idea - I hope he gets funded. I'm a little over-stocked on plates right now myself

Hello My name is David Fliger I am the inventor of the Fusion Plate.

First thank you for checking out my project.

I would like to attempt to address your concern. Actually the fact that the loop is not directly attached to the screw makes it more secure. the screw only acts upon the plate and is not transferred to the screw at all. The "force" exerted into the plate from the loop is actually minimal. the force acts more laterally then radially. I have been field testing prototypes in the field for close to a year now and have yet to some mach as even come loose.

Other designs out there have the loop attached directly to the screw and I have personal experience with these coming loose. I was lucky to never have my gear hit the ground but it was close on a couple occasions. This was part of the motivation behind the Fusion Plate.

The rubber pad on the bottom is actually a very carefully chosen material. we tried several compounds until we found a material with the right properties. Look at the bottom of your camera, you will find it has ridges and such. the rubber pad has just enough give that it conforms to these textures and helps to lock the plate in place.

I hope this helps you to understand just some of the engineering that went into the design.

Thank you
David Fliger
Fusion Photo Gear

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mendal

p.1 #9 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

sjms wrote:
where I do agree about the possibility, this seems like a more reasonable/usable option then most others in the "universal" world. a good one to keep around for a "special occasion" and not regular daily use. as with anything you need to set your own personal limits in use and then there is always someone who will go the extra effort to find the actual ones.

I never "stock up" on such devices. having one universal "hot spare" is good enough.

I would argue that the Fusion Plate is simply a "universal" plate. I think its distinguishing feature is the attachment loop. I tend to think of it more as its attachment point first that happens to be mounted into a arca-swiss quick release plate.

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:49 AM
Mendal

p.1 #10 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

Sunny Sra wrote:
added bonus...the inventor/owner is a FM member. I'll leave it for him to chime in if he wants to.

Thanks Sunny Sra, I am trying to keep up on a lot of sources but by all means please ask questions if you have them and I will try to address all of them.

Thank you to the FM community for your support! This is an extremely exciting time for us.

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:53 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #11 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

How I do wish I did have money. There have been many great kickstarter ideas I've wanted to have.

Apr 20, 2013 at 02:53 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

Very pretty plate. Wouldn't mind one just for the splash 'o color, tho' not a fan of BlackRapid style clips or tangling upside-down cameras. I've owned several universal plates and the ones with thin textured neoprene were very twist resistant with moderate loads, e.g., Camadapter Arca Neoprene. The only universal plate with rubber that was a total fail was the DUALplate. The red X pattern was slippery and didn't compress well into the camera bottom. Also the arca dovetail barely snagged in my clamp jaws.

Apr 20, 2013 at 04:54 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

Mendal wrote:
I would argue that the Fusion Plate is simply a "universal" plate. I think its distinguishing feature is the attachment loop. I tend to think of it more as its attachment point first that happens to be mounted into a arca-swiss quick release plate.

we will all look at various designs in our own way. I accept your vision as it stands in your eyes. me, on the other hand, will use it as my view of the universal type plate that is more and I see it to be pretty usable in both your and my views equally. get them rolling out.

can I ask how the attachment point is held in the retracted position when not in use?

Apr 20, 2013 at 07:23 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

Mendal wrote:
Hello My name is David Fliger I am the inventor of the Fusion Plate.
<snip>
I hope this helps you to understand just some of the engineering that went into the design.

Hi David -

Good to hear you've done some significant field testing. Best of luck with your project - as I said, it looks like a great design.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:59 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

It would be good to have some actual tensile tests for the assembly in-use. It is a rather elegant design. Though I am wondering about the pin retention and strength of that since it is being held in Aluminum.
Douglas

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:29 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Fusion Plate - Cool!

This joining method is nothing new. It is quite common in it's use. Pin retention is designed into the pin itself and for use with these alloys. It's all about proper execution in manufacture.

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:43 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password