New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sigma 85 aperture isn't correct on my D800

CRFTony
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 85 aperture isn't correct on my D800

EDIT: Ugh, this just got a lot more complicated. I tested the Sigma on my D7000 and it seems to work correctly. I tried it again on my D800 and it definitely does not work correctly. My Tamrom zoom, however, does work fine aperture wise on the D800 so I don't know what's going on.

I'm posting a few pics. The first is taken at F16. The second is shot at F1.6 There is a little difference, but obviously the F16 image should be pretty much black. Does anyone have ideas on what could be wrong?

OLD: The past two days I've been attempting to use my Sigma 85mm 1.4 lens (bought in Dec and very lightly used) but I kept thinking that something was off. I was using off camera lighting and thought it had something to do with the new flashes or triggers, but today I realized the problem - the aperture isn't changing. Even when I go to f16, it's like the lens is almost wide open. Fortunately, I had a zoom lens I could use to get me through today's shoot, but I'm just so surprised the Sigma is doing this.

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:52 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 85 aperture isn't correct on my D800

i have to ask, you ARE in manual mode, correct??

Aside from that, i would say check the aperture stop down lever on the camera, that it's not bent.....does it do this with any of your other lenses on the D800??

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:54 PM
CRFTony
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 85 aperture isn't correct on my D800

Nathan - Yep, full manual and testing at the same shutter speed. This is the only lens that I experience this problem on. I tried the Tamron 28-75 zoom and Nikon 135 and 300mm primes and they stop down normally. I checked the aperture lever and it doesn't appear to be bent at all.

I did some new test shots and it just going by exposure, I can see absolutely no difference from 3.2 to 16. 1.4 seems normal as does 1.6 through 3.2 but after 3.2 it just stops changing.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 85 aperture isn't correct on my D800

CRFTony wrote:
Nathan - Yep, full manual and testing at the same shutter speed. This is the only lens that I experience this problem on. I tried the Tamron 28-75 zoom and Nikon 135 and 300mm primes and they stop down normally. I checked the aperture lever and it doesn't appear to be bent at all.

I did some new test shots and it just going by exposure, I can see absolutely no difference from 3.2 to 16. 1.4 seems normal as does 1.6 through 3.2 but after 3.2 it just stops changing.

If you look at the front of the lens and press the DOF preview button while rolling through the aperture range you'll be able to verify visually if the aperture is getting stuck, and at what point.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:38 PM
CRFTony
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 85 aperture isn't correct on my D800

It definitely doesn't go past f3.2. Seems so weird that it only shows this problem on the D800 though.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM
CRFTony
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 85 aperture isn't correct on my D800

After thinking about this more, I wonder if it ever went past 3.2 on my D800. I usually shoot very open & doubt I ever went beyond 4 or 5.6. I wasn't using off camera lighting with the lens until just this week, so I would have just compensated by adjusting the shutter speed and wouldn't have realized that the aperture wasn't changing. I only caught it this time because my ss was limited by the speedlights.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.