Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

I'm bored at work, and my mind started wondering. Sigma has been on a roll lately. The 50, 80, 35, 18-35 (which I'm sure will be a great performer) are all great lenses that are 'affordable'. But I'd like more reach. The new 120-300 is $3400. From the reviews it's going to be another great lens. But then I remembered something. Sigma has a 300 f/2.8 prime lens, for the same price, with no OS and an older style. I wonder what the chances are they update this lens, add OS, and make it a lot cheaper....

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:49 PM
kendalltristan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

I would honestly think that they will shy away from offering another 300mm f/2.8 prime after releasing the 120-300mm f/2.8. To me it just doesn't make sense to cannibalize sales of the zoom, plus they'd have to deal with separate R&D costs, manufacturing costs, marketing costs, etc, etc, etc. I just really don't see it happening.

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:56 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

I'm not sure if it would happen, but typically when Sigma redesigns a lens and adds OS, the price goes up, not down.

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:05 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

I'd like a new 50mm along the lines of their 35mm. There really is no really great 50mm for nikon other than the zeiss f/2.

I'd also like to see a 135mm f/2 OS.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

Smiert Spionam wrote:
I'm not sure if it would happen, but typically when Sigma redesigns a lens and adds OS, the price goes up, not down.

While that is true. I can't see sigma pricing it higher than a 120-300 f/2.8 zoom lens. I bet they could make a 300 2.8 @ $1999/$2499 and it would spread like a wild fire.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM
sb in ak
• •
p.1 #6 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

I'd like to see a nice A series 18 or 20mm.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

I hope they will produce a 300mm f/4 with stabilization... and eventually a 400mm f/5.6...

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:40 AM
GOVA
• • •
p.1 #8 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

I'd say their 500mm f/4.5 is ready for OS, right?

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:31 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

From reviews of the latest (not the new 120-300 due end of May) 120-300/2.8 OS HSM and 300/2.8 the zoom matches the IQ of the prime. I have it and it's phenomenal, both bare and with TCs (x1.4 and x2).

There are potential issues with the OS especially though in the current 120-300 model and that's why (so the theory goes) Sigma are updating it after just one year and throwing in some other goodies along the way (focus limiter, USB dock etc). I'll be updating mine as soon as the Nikon version is available and the initial price has settled (say 3-4 months from now).

The Sigma 50/1.4 I have is also a superb lens, as is the 500/4.5 I have too (yes, it needs OS though). Previously on a Pentax K5 I had the 50-150/2.8 and 30/1.4, again really excellent lenses. And of course everyone is raving about their 35/1.4 and 85/1.4. They are becoming a real force to be reckoned with.

Apr 19, 2013 at 04:03 AM
Albi86
• •
p.1 #10 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

Sigma has been snobbed a lot in the past.

I've always loved them. I admire how a small family-owned company can compete with the big guys. In spite of limited resources for R&D they have some unique lenses and they managed to design that jewel that the Foveon is. If they did a FF version (at a reasonable price, the SD1 has been the greatest marketing failure of the photographic history) I'd be all over it. In fact, they seem the be only ones who are really into innovating - besides that huge giant of Sony.

I had the first version of the 17-70mm in Canon mount, and I'd never had swapped it with the twice-as-expensive Canon 15-85mm. Just as sharp, a bit of reach less and no OS but almost a full stop faster. The color rendition was to me also much more balanced. It's when I first fell in love with Sigma.

On an average, in my opinion, Sigma lenses have always offered if not better quality, at least outstanding value. Now that the son is in charge of the company, it's clear that he doesn't share his father's view of being a niche or a respectable second choice. He wants to be up there.

The 35mm has been a superb debut. Great build, great sharpness, great AF even wide-open and with no AFMA, great colors, nice bokeh and a reasonable price. It makes my Nikon 85/1.8G (great lens) look like the glass was carved out from a Coca Cola bottle and encased into a toilet paper roll. It's becoming so redundant that I'm thinking of selling it.

I'm only too happy. I'd be extremely happy with an all-Sigma lineup. Who knows, in 10 years from now we might all be shooting Sony or Samsung cameras and Sigma lenses

Apr 19, 2013 at 07:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Two23
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

Early on, they seemed to just produce cheap lenses with so-so quality. I'm thinking of the 20mm f1.8. Starting a few years ago the quality started really going up! It makes me wonder if they hired some key people away from Nikon/Canon etc. They now seem to be coming out with some creative lenses that have some great advantages in the real world. They seem to be far more nimble than Nikon.

Kent in SD

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

Two23 wrote:
Early on, they seemed to just produce cheap lenses with so-so quality. I'm thinking of the 20mm f1.8.

Kent in SD

I dunno what to say... DxOMark is considering this lens the second UWA prime option for D800/E sensor... surpassed only by the new Zeiss 15mm f/2.8. Read
here their findings.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.1 #13 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

I bought the Sigma 300 f/2.8 a few years ago before the price hike, and I think it was around $2,700 then. Today, B&H has the pricing of the forthcoming 120-300 f/2.8 OS at $3,600. Given that, I cant see that the price for a revised 300 f/2.8 prime with OS would be significantly less. Maybe three grand?

Keep in mind though, were talking about price points that are significantly lower than the 300 f/2.8s offered by Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Sony.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:21 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.1 #14 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

Frogfish wrote:
From reviews of the latest (not the new 120-300 due end of May) 120-300/2.8 OS HSM and 300/2.8 the zoom matches the IQ of the prime.

Do you have any links to those reviews, with photos to back it up? When I was shopping around for the prime, I read a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggested the old version of the zoom was sharper, but the only review with pics demonstrated the opposite.

Given the advances in affordable optics though, I wouldn't be surprised if the new zoom is even sharper than the old prime.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:27 PM
Birdbrooks

p.1 #15 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

If Sigma came out with a 300 f/2.8 OS DG at $2500 (probably wishful) to even as high as $3500, I would bite, a whole lot of people would bite, (and we'd buy the TC) and as Thom has been hammering home, Nikon would drop the ball as far as keeping pace with their lens offerings.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:28 PM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #16 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

I have had several Sigmas in my time and have yet to have one that I was really disappointed in. No focusing issues other than some slow tracking.

Like what Sigma is doing. They should be competitive if they keep their pricing reasonable. When they start asking Nikon/Canon money, they're doomed.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:38 PM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

Frank_Maiello wrote:
Do you have any links to those reviews, with photos to back it up? When I was shopping around for the prime, I read a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggested the old version of the zoom was sharper, but the only review with pics demonstrated the opposite.

Given the advances in affordable optics though, I wouldn't be surprised if the new zoom is even sharper than the old prime.

217 pages here Frank - starts with the old 120-300 and goes right through to today's ! Although a Canon site there are some Nikon shooters in there too. Look for a poster called GabeBalazs - superb.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=934592

I have the current 120-300/2.8 and it is extremely sharp (maybe Google can help you out with more reviews - I know I checked a lot before I bought it).

Some examples are in this current thread :

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1205853

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:42 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.1 #18 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

Frogfish wrote:
217 pages here Frank - starts with the old 120-300 and goes right through to today's ! Although a Canon site there are some Nikon shooters in there too. Look for a poster called GabeBalazs - superb.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=934592

Cool, thanks.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

Mishu01 wrote:
I dunno what to say... DxOMark is considering this lens the second UWA prime option for D800/E sensor... surpassed only by the new Zeiss 15mm f/2.8. Read
here their findings.

Your link didn't go directly to the test. Not sure if we're talking about the same lens, even. I'm talking about the 20mm f1.8 which is a screw drive, that I bought around 2002. Yeah, it was OK stopped down past f2.8, but what's the point of buying an f1.8 lens if it's not sharp wide open?

Kent in SD

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:52 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Random thoughts on Sigmas line up

Kent, on that page, among other things you can see three tables with DxOMark score: one for UWA primes, one for WA primes and last for WA zooms. In the UWA primes Sigma 20/1.8 (there is only one Sigma lens with this aperture... that with screwdrive you speak about) is placed as the second performer on D800... On the second table for WA primes Sigma 35/1.4 is leading the group... (I no wonder why... ) and on the zoom's table Nikon 14-24 is the leader. How they came to this conclusion I dunno...

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password