Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · How did you pick your business name?

aallen0720

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How did you pick your business name?

Unfortunately, my name is so common that Amanda Allen Photography (or some variation there of) is already taken (both as a business name and as a domain). I wasn't too surprised, but now I'm stuck trying to come up with a business name that isn't cheesy. For those of you who's business name isn't your own name, how did you come up with it?

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:19 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How did you pick your business name?

How about using something related to your name for the domain, and then just trade under your name? (Not sure how it works in the US)

Amandasbox dot com ?

Perhaps try using a keyword related to your brand? Eg: Amandafamily dot com

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:46 PM
t4haughton
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How did you pick your business name?

I wanted to keep my name (travishaughton.com) reserved for my editorial work, but I found picking a unique name was really hard. This was 5 years ago, and pretty much any word+photography.com was taken.

I actually designed my whole website with a logo placeholder and ended up using a color of green for the navigation bar and other details. After showing others the color and asking for name ideas somebody said the green looked like wasabi. The domain was available and I bought it, half jokingly. Five years later, I'm Wasabi Photography and it's one of the most common questions I get from couples during meetings.

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:57 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How did you pick your business name?

amandarocks.com
amandakicksass.com
amandashoots.com
amandahugnkiss.com

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:14 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How did you pick your business name?

Inku Yo wrote:
amandarocks.com

+1 !

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:23 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How did you pick your business name?

ricardovaste wrote:
Amandasbox dot com ?

No comment.

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:23 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How did you pick your business name?

picsbyamanda.com is available.

Mine is FlashGordonPhotography.com.au

The explanation is pretty obvious and yes, I get a lot of comments.

Gordon

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:25 PM
BouncyRobot

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How did you pick your business name?

I'm part of a duo and we both have common names that weren't available in any format. So we decided to have a sort of "mascot". We both love robots so I drafted up our little robot (I decided to name him Rupert), tossed around some adjectives/verbs and landed on Bouncy Robot Photography. I don't know if that's cheesy to you, but we like the name :P

Have you tried a combination of your first + middle name? I know some photographers do that because they have a common last name.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How did you pick your business name?

Inku Yo wrote:
amandahugnkiss.com

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How did you pick your business name?

mark arnold photography is taken.... the bloody brits!!!!!!

so... mark arnold FOTO dot com. i am in US and roll with more of an english-UK version of photography. crazy.... but it works.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

aallen0720

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How did you pick your business name?

Thanks for the input so far everyone! Way to make a girl feel special on her first post.

Inku: amandarocks has potential, however i'm forever scared by the Simpsons episode with "amandahugnkiss" ;-). I think I'll stay away from that one!

Bouncy Robot: My middle name is christina, I feel as if amanda christina photography is a mouth full with all the syllables (though I may be over thinking it, lol). I thought of ACphotography, but then I think of AC as in air conditioner. I like the idea of a mascot though for teams!

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How did you pick your business name?

amandafish....just to piss Todd off

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM
lighthawk
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How did you pick your business name?

I found all the two word combos were taken, so went with a three word phrase: lighthawkphoto.com. i do enjoy BIF shots, and also relate to the visual alertness of a raptor, so it works for me. Whatever you choose, make it easy to remember, and easy for photo credits too.

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:12 AM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How did you pick your business name?

Good one, Alan.

Welcome, Amanda.

amandachris.com has a nice quality to it but is taken.

amandachrisphotography, amandachriss and amandacriss .coms are all available.

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:41 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How did you pick your business name?

maxwell1295 wrote:
amandafish....just to piss Todd off

Apr 19, 2013 at 08:18 AM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How did you pick your business name?

Ok, since I am in San Francisco bay area and I want to use a business name that is simple and related to bay area wedding photographer, so I chose the name Bayphoto Net Photography.

I originally wanted to use Bayphoto but it turns out the .com website was taken by Bayphoto Lab.

Now from time to time, I am getting phone calls from Bayphoto lab customers asking "where are my prints? where is my album? ... ". I just hope that my potential clients don't call Bayphoto lab.

One more funny thing was that, my wonderful reviews ended up in Bayphoto Lab's page at the Knot for quite some time.

Apr 19, 2013 at 08:01 PM
aallen0720

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How did you pick your business name?

David: amandaallenphoto.com is actually available but I was worried about the possibility of confusion when it came to reviews and things like that. Thanks for the advice

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Manzelle
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How did you pick your business name?

FWIW, weddingphotography.xxx is available.

Apr 23, 2013 at 07:03 PM
That Photog
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How did you pick your business name?

I'm That Photog. Took a lot of time thinking about it and searching to make sure it was unique. I wanted something that was easy to remember, made you think and was fun. I get a lot of comments on it. Unfortunately some UK bloke registered That-photog.com shortly after me. Kinda pissed me off for a while.
I'm not a big fan of name + photography variations because I feel that they limit (harder to add a partner, harder to sell the name [hey I can dream]). Also my name is plain and common (Steve Williams). I spent many a night bouncing names around with my wife (too cheesy, too long, too dumb...)

Apr 23, 2013 at 08:21 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How did you pick your business name?

CMB is NOT CMB (Cash Money Brothers)...
Simply my initials...he he...
i will probably change if i keep going and growing...may be to amandakickass...dot com..

Apr 23, 2013 at 08:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password