Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

Gabby8
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

I've really had a great time shooting with my Canon 7D and 70/200 f/2.8 lens. I am addicted to capturing memories of my son as he plays ball. Hope you like the picture!

My son hitting a double over the third basemans head - at contact.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

Nice capture of your son. It appears a tad soft in the face.

Ted

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Gabby8
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

I'm wondering if the original (not the copied from Facebook) would be sharper?

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Gabby8
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

Being a vocal outfielder.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

Gabby, the first two are soft, and the last one is still not sharp, way too loose and way to big. Cute capture, though.

Could you post your EXIF information (shutter speed, aperture, etc)?

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Gabby8
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

dmwierz wrote:
Could you post your EXIF information (shutter speed, aperture, etc)?

I'm not really sure how to do that!

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

Look at the dirt in the first two shots- there's sharpness there. Looks like a combo of missed focus, along with maybe some processing missteps or saving at too low a quality level.

Like Dennis said, cute shots! Keep at it Dad- it only gets batter better.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

Gabby8 wrote:
I'm not really sure how to do that!

One way is to just write them in a reply. You do know what your exposure settings were, right? This info is embedded in the original files, but has been stripped by your post processing software (PhotoShop does this).

The reason this is important is that it's one way to help figure out why your images aren't as sharp as they should be.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM
JusLookN
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

Gabby your last shot shows the exif info. So what did you do different when uploading that one? Nice shots by the way. But as mentioned the focus is off on the kid's face.

Apr 18, 2013 at 06:17 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

Oh yeah, there it is in the last image:

Camera: Canon EOS 7D
Lens: Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L ISShot at 90 mm
Exposure: Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1/1,579 sec, f/2.8, ISO 320
Flash: Off, Did not fire
Date: March 10, 2013 10:33:13AM
Color Space: sRGB
Field Of View: 14.5 deg
File: 1,066 × 1,600 JPEG (1.7 megapixels) 188,552 bytes (0.18 megabytes) Image compression: 96%10% crop of the 5,184 × 3,456 (17.9 megapixel) original

1/1600s should have resulted in sharper images, if your shutter speed was the same in the first two.

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:22 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

It's probably soft from f/2.8 with that lens, I had 2 copies of that lens and both were soft at f/2.8 when shooting any kind of action.

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:13 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

Big container, few marbles. Send me the original of #1 to my email and I'll show you... it's how you process it. It's a marble issue, not a lens issue.

Apr 19, 2013 at 05:44 AM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

Nice captures Gabby.......and take advantage of the tremendous resources and expertise available to you here on FM. It's a great resource and community. Besides, I'm really curious about the marbles now.

Apr 20, 2013 at 09:36 AM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

Translation of what Paul is saying (I think…): "It's a poor carpenter who blames his tools". Way more likely is your issues are of a "pilot error" nature than equipment failure. Don't despair - this happens to us all. Larry is correct, you've come to a great place to get assistance.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

dmwierz wrote:
Translation of what Paul is saying (I think…): "It's a poor carpenter who blames his tools". Way more likely is your issues are of a "pilot error" nature than equipment failure. Don't despair - this happens to us all. Larry is correct, you've come to a great place to get assistance.

Look at the height and width dimensions. Then. Look at file size. Big container ... Very few marbles (pixels) to fill that space. File size should be at least 4 times larger. That's a processing/compression issue. Like saving the file in ps at JPG level of less than 3.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

Seems as if the OP has left the building.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

P Alesse wrote:
Look at the height and width dimensions. Then. Look at file size. Big container ... Very few marbles (pixels) to fill that space. File size should be at least 4 times larger. That's a processing/compression issue. Like saving the file in ps at JPG level of less than 3.

Ah, a metaphor…I'm denser than the average bear…

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Baseball: 8 year old Coach Pitch

It is quite possible that the body/lens combination isn't focusing dead on. My D7000 and Sigma 70-200 combo needed to be micro adjusted to be sharp.

However, you cannot tell from these images. The first image is front focused. Look at the dirt, it is sharp in front of home plate, but the feet are OOF. You can also tell that the barrell of the bat is much sharper than the hands/body. The second image is back focused however. The dirt is sharper behind the player and the player is pretty OOF. I think the last image is probably a pretty big crop and it is hard to see exactly what is sharp and what is slightly OOF. But I think this is more of a limitation of the crop/resolution of the lens/body than anything else.

In other words, It is hard to tell from just these pictures if there is an inherent issue with the body/lens combo or if it was just focusing issues.

PS - I will say that it is easiest to prefocus on a batter just prior to the pitch, but after the batter gets set. I get a much higher number of keepers when I prefocus vs trying to focus and shoot at the time of contact. Personally I use the back button focus method because it allows me to prefocus on batters and bases (while waiting for a throw to the bag, etc), but also allows me to continuously focus when tracking a runner or fielder.

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.