Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

mrhoni
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

My niece like the photo, but when she sees the bend of her left arm, all she sees is the fat in the crease.

Still on the learning curve for PS editing, does this change in her arm look realistic or at least not noticeable that something is awry.
Thanks.

Before

After

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:05 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

Looks totally unnatural to me.

Maybe something like this would be better
#2 on top of #1 fade to suit and a bit of liquefy.

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:20 PM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #3 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

Forgot to mention, if anyone has suggestions be specific as far as tools and what to do. At times if received suggestions and even some detail, but a piece of info was left out and I got stumped

Waycool- it think I understand what you did, but not sure. Since I have both images, I think I would drop the second on top of the first and either use the layer opacity or maybe use the eraser to let some of the below layer thru?

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:02 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

Correct, I used opacity, but eraser or mask would work also. Opacity or mask would be best as they are not destructive.

Using layers is something you want to learn in Photoshop.

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:09 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #5 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

Duplicate the image; then use the Patch tool (with Normal and Source selected in the Options bar) to select the crease and drag it to a clean area of skin. Immediately after that, click on Edit > Fade Patch Selection and reduce the Opacity slider to about 40 percent.

I would also duplicate the layer again, press the Z key a few times to zoom in on the leaves or palm fronds in the background behind her left arm, then select the Burn tool (Range set to Highlights, Opacity to 5 percent in the Options bar) and use a soft brush to paint in the direction of the leaves/fronds to darken them a bit.

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:26 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

Your before and after are the same image. Where is the difference?

Apr 18, 2013 at 06:05 PM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #7 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

Thanks for the tips and how to. I do use layers but there is much to learn.

Apr 18, 2013 at 06:35 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

That's a question that touches physiology as much as it does post-processing skills.

Ask yourself - "does this look natural? how WOULD it look if she was slightly thinner?"

Me, I would just make the line a touch lighter/thinner, and then shorten it a bit. Slightly more at the top than at the bottom. This type of portraiture doesn't lend itself to heavy-handed PP work, in my opinion.

Apr 18, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Danny Michael

p.1 #9 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

Make a new layer set to 50% gray. Layer blend mode to Soft Light. Paint with white at 5% flow with small brush to lighten line. Increase brush size to blend tones. Use Liquify to slim and trim this lovely models arms.

Edited on Apr 19, 2013 at 03:37 AM · View previous versions

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:16 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

First of all, I will disagree with the others and say your touchup looks fine. Most people will not even notice because they did not have the "before" pointed out to them, like those on this thread did.

Secondly, I don't know why the complicated suggestions, when all you have to do is use the Clone Tool, set to Lighten, and set the Opacity at whatever suits you best.

You can always use the Blur Tool after to improve the cloning effects.

Playboy centrefolds have had major touchups for years, and nobody complained.

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

Imagemaster's sample above looks good to me. It's a good mid-way point - what I was saying was that making the entire area totally flat made the image look less natural.

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:57 PM
GeorgieGirl
• •
p.1 #12 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

I think that my eye gets fixed on the 'fanning' under the of the image's right side arm. I'd find a way to clone the serene part of the tree or the dark at the images left shoulder or just burn it a good bit to eliminate that 'rooster comb' distraction in the bokeh entirely. That should then get the subject more defined and separated.

She has a small face and head, she is completely human, you can't do anyhting about the balance of what nature gave her in this pose.

It's a nice shot though and she's a beautiful girl.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:53 PM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #13 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

Here is my latest attempt on the crease on her left arm. I tried many tools and retried several times, but I'm having trouble with a good method of removing, cloning or darkening the palm fronds. May try again another day.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

Hi MrHoni,
2 things that bug me here...
1. the light glow on her arms...
2. The background leaves...the bokeh ...i think you can fix that with little blur

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:25 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #15 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

I'm with Imagemaster; without the 'before' image, I wouldn't have noticed. I guess I'm not used to seeing people with their arms up so I didn't notice the missing crease, this comes down to your knowledge of physiology

I do agree that using opacity to retain some of the crease is a good idea

(this applies to most post-processing corrections, it's often better to 'reduce' imperfections using layers and opacity rather than removing them entirely)

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #16 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

There is nothing wrong with your first edit. As has been said, without the before image there would be no complaints. The client doesn't want to see the crease - thats ok, remove it

Apr 19, 2013 at 08:12 AM
Albi86
• •
p.1 #17 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

mrhoni wrote:
My niece like the photo, but when she sees the bend of her left arm, all she sees is the fat in the crease.

Still on the learning curve for PS editing, does this change in her arm look realistic or at least not noticeable that something is awry.
Thanks.

The arm looks OK to me. If I didn't know where to look I wouldn't have noticed.

What I immediately noticed is the quite heavy skin softening of her face (especially in comparison with the arm, that has much more texture) and the quite nervous bokeh

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:43 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

Just curiuous... what lens gave such harsh bokeh?

greg

Apr 21, 2013 at 06:43 PM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #19 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

85L II at f2.0

This is an earlier edit of the color version.

Apr 21, 2013 at 09:46 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Does this touchup look realistic to you?

Wow, really surprising. The 85L usually has bokeh smooth as warm butter.

greg

Apr 22, 2013 at 01:34 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password